• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Returned to Android after 3 years

MiniBoatin

Lurker
Jun 22, 2020
Hello all. This is my first post here. Since this is an Android forum I'll keep it Android centered and give you my history. I started with Android when I got my first smart phone, and I have had a few of them. The first was a ZTE, a cheap model just to test the waters, so to speak. I found out pretty quick I was gonna like it so then I got a Samsung Galaxy II. Had that for awhile and switched carriers, from Ntelos to Verizon, so moved to a Motorola (can't remember the model), and after dropping it and needing a replacement I got a smaller, cheaper, refurbed Motorola to replace it. It didn't last long because it kept getting hot, and its battery life was not good. Mostly I learned from that phone that I liked smaller devices, so when I decided to replace it with a new one in 2016, I found that the trends were to go big. The only thing they had in the store that was still on the small side was the new (then) iPhone SE. I got it strictly due to size, and quickly found out that I loved it.

I kept it for over 3 years as my daily device, and I still have it in use as a camera now. It was during the time that I had it that I decided to really learn to use the device for things other than just talk, text, and web surf. I really got into the nuts and bolts of smartphone useage, learned all about cloud storage, backups, Bluetooth and music downloads, the millions of apps available, the accounts associated with the devices (I had had a Gmail address for years on Android and never used it for anything), and more. I got really educated on the iPhone and all its functions. I really liked it. The only reason I am now back to Android was due to iOS having such problems in versions 11 and 13. Got tired of it and bought a Samsung Galaxy A50 last fall.

I'd like to say I am glad to be back to Android, but I can't. The new device has not been a joy to use like the iPhone was for its first year. So I guess you could say I am here now to try to learn about android, and decide if I want to stay with Android, try a different Samsung, or even a different brand like the Google Pixel, or return to iPhone and hope that iOS14 goes better.

Hi @MiniBoatin, Welcome to Android Forums :)

I hope you stay with us and get settled with a new device.

After 9 years with HTC, starting with the Desire S and ending with the HTC 10, I have made a change and now have a Pixel 3a. I got it towards the end of November last year and so far so good. I'm very happy with it.

Good luck with your searching

:)

Upvote 0
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!

you can't compare an iphone to the galaxy a50. i have never owned an iphoney nor will i.....so i do not know the difference between the se vs other iphones. but the a50 is a budget phone....though cnet did rate it the best of budget phones (https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-a50-verizon-still-one-of-the-best-budget-phones-review/) if you had one of their flagship phones like s9 or s10 or even the soon to be s20 then that would make more sense as far as comparisons go. now cnet did mention that as one of the a50's bad points is that i can be a bit buggy at times. it does rate the camera as being really good for a budget phone....so that is a plus.

and as far as android goes, you have come to the right place. this is the best place on the net IMO. so i look forward to conversing with you about your phone and android.

welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
One thing to remember, especially after 3 years of using one platform, is that when you change platforms the first thing you will notice is the frustration that things don't work the way you expect. It takes longer to learn and appreciate the advantages of a different platform. I learned that even from changing ROMs on the same (android) phone. So persevere for a while, and yes, ask away: no such thing as a stupid question and we'll do what we can.

Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
This is typical what happens when we switch platforms. When I was using Android, Apple ios didn't look friendly. When I switched to an iphone, gradually I got used to it and it looked fantastic. Now when I started using Android few months back, I used to get irritated but slowly the mojo is back and I appreciate the flexibility that Android is providing. So I guess, it's about the dislike for the change which is inbuilt into us that drives us nuts. Eventually, things become better as we get used to the ecosystem.

Upvote 0
well done welcome home.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones