• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Returning my new camera because my PHONE takes better pics!

tommy_ed

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2010
got a Nikon Coolpix s4000 about a month ago, and have had up and down feelings on it. It turns on really quick, but the picture quality isnt that great ESPECIALLY in low light. The other day i did a comparison with my phone (thunderbolt) and my phone's pics were better! plus i love being able to touch the spot in the photo i want to shoot and it automatically focuses to shoot that object.

I guess what i'm getting at is that apparently if you're only going to spend 1-200 bucks on a camera, you might as well just save some money and use your phone if it has a decent one! :)

A lot of the time it's not even about the picture quality....

Q. What's the best camera in the world?
A. The one you have with you.

One could have a really great Nikon SLR with fantastic lenses that takes beautiful pictures. But it's not going to take any pictures when sat in a draw at home

Some of the most interesting and newsworthy pictures of recent times where taken with mobile phone cameras, because that's what people had with them.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
As a Nikon DSLR user, I'll freely admit (as would a great many other Nikon DSLR users) that the first issue here is the use of a Nikon P&S. While Nikon puts a great amount of effort into their DSLRs, the same does not hold true for their P&S cameras. You'll find a lot of those who use Nikon P&Ss use Canon, Panasonic and even Olympus for their P&S cameras.

The second issue comes down to sensor size. The difference between a cell phone camera and the usual basic P&S sensor is fairly minimal. You really have to step up into the manufacturers' "enthusiast" compacts before you start really noticing a difference. Anything below that is pretty much a camera of convenience. Of course, as already has been pointed out, if that is the case then you're already carrying something that is merely convenient... your cellphone.

And yeah, I do usually have my Nikon SLR with me. :p

Upvote 0
I usually have my Canon 20D or a Panasonic FZ8 with me. Both cameras shoot RAW format, which I prefer. The FZ8 is a bridge or zoom camera, not a P&S.

The camera in the SGS4G isn't that great. The Nokia C6 with the same pixel count took better pictures and it had a flash. Samsung makes cameras, so you would think they could do better.

Upvote 0
I love the pictures my Charge takes. If I KNOW I am going to take pics, I will still bring my Nikon.

Thing is I don't always know when I'm going to be taking pics, it's happened a few times for me a photographic moment suddenly arrises. Like being invited out to a banquet at the last minute, or I suddenly find out there is a party going on somewhere, or something just happens in the street. I haven't had a chance to go home and get the SLR or compact, but on the other hand I've always got my Galaxy S with me.

Personally, I don't really want to be carrying an SLR in a bag all the time, or carrying too many things in my pockets, like a compact camera.

Here's one of those sudden photographic moments which seems to happen to me...
deptstore2.jpg
An impromptu meeting of a 'Inner Mongolian department store Mike fan club'. I was only in there buying socks. Thing is I'm the only foreigner in Xilinhot most of the time, so seemingly crazy things like this can often happen. It's like being a VIP.

The best camera is the one I always have with me. :)

Upvote 0
An impromptu meeting of a 'Inner Mongolian department store Mike fan club'. I was only in there buying socks. Thing is I'm the only foreigner in Xilinhot most of the time, so seemingly crazy things like this can often happen. It's like being a VIP.

I'm guessing you're the one on the far right in the flower dress? Am I close? ;)

Upvote 0
I'm guessing you're the one on the far right in the flower dress? Am I close? ;)

No I'm the one in the pink, with my hand in front of my face. ;)

Here's some more of those impromptu Mongolian photographic moments.

Sandstorm..
orange.jpg
...or the day the world turned orange for a few hours.

Surprise birthday party...
birthday.jpg
..21 again.

Art class in someone's apartment...
art class.jpg
...I was walking past, and they wanted a subject...
art class drawings.jpg

Banquet with the Communist Party of China Regional Secretary(Xilin Gol League)..
banquet.jpg
...guest of honour. I remember a lot of baijiu and expensive imported French wine was consumed that night.

...all taken with the Galaxy S, because that's the camera I had with me.

Upvote 0
I guess a lot of it will really come down to what the end use of your images is. If it is to save a memory, any camera will do as long as it can take a clear enough shot. If it is for some sort of artistic or commercial sale, then that could cause a rethink of your carrying strategy. (I do have one artistic series that was done on a cellphone.) A lot will depend on what your possible end audience demands.

Upvote 0
I agree, the Desire takes some amazing shots and I use mine all the time now. In terms of length the lens feels like its a 35 to 40mm SLR equivalent. Higher-end P&S like the Canon G or Panasonic LX series are better at controlling washed-out skys or dark shadows in high contrast situations but, there is the $500 price tag. One can get a 'entry-level' dSLR for that.

Upvote 0
Happened again straight after work today, 'Hey Mike, let's go to an expensive restaurant, school is paying'. :)
dinner with friends.jpg

I guess a lot of it will really come down to what the end use of your images is. If it is to save a memory, any camera will do as long as it can take a clear enough shot. If it is for some sort of artistic or commercial sale, then that could cause a rethink of your carrying strategy. (I do have one artistic series that was done on a cellphone.) A lot will depend on what your possible end audience demands.

That's what I do, and email the pics to friends in China and the UK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones