1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Returning my new camera because my PHONE takes better pics!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tommy_ed, Jul 30, 2011.

1. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Verizon Wireless Sales, Traveling Musician
    got a Nikon Coolpix s4000 about a month ago, and have had up and down feelings on it. It turns on really quick, but the picture quality isnt that great ESPECIALLY in low light. The other day i did a comparison with my phone (thunderbolt) and my phone's pics were better! plus i love being able to touch the spot in the photo i want to shoot and it automatically focuses to shoot that object.

I guess what i'm getting at is that apparently if you're only going to spend 1-200 bucks on a camera, you might as well just save some money and use your phone if it has a decent one! :)

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    i dont even own a simple camera anymore.... broke it last year.... and have been happy to use my phone..

3. kool kat2

kool kat2 Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Male
    Carson, CA
    Yea with my droid x i had no use for a camera... Now with my xperia play i appreciate the camera from my x.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    A lot of the time it's not even about the picture quality....

Q. What's the best camera in the world?
    A. The one you have with you.

One could have a really great Nikon SLR with fantastic lenses that takes beautiful pictures. But it's not going to take any pictures when sat in a draw at home

Some of the most interesting and newsworthy pictures of recent times where taken with mobile phone cameras, because that's what people had with them.

Slug likes this.
  5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    Not surprising. I think the days of the point and shoot are behind us.

6. Vinter

Vinter Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    New Bedford, MA
    more of a man issue (unless you were a fanny pack LOL or have a man purse) as women can carry an entire house worth of stuff in their bags

7. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    KCMO
    As a Nikon DSLR user, I'll freely admit (as would a great many other Nikon DSLR users) that the first issue here is the use of a Nikon P&S. While Nikon puts a great amount of effort into their DSLRs, the same does not hold true for their P&S cameras. You'll find a lot of those who use Nikon P&Ss use Canon, Panasonic and even Olympus for their P&S cameras.

The second issue comes down to sensor size. The difference between a cell phone camera and the usual basic P&S sensor is fairly minimal. You really have to step up into the manufacturers' "enthusiast" compacts before you start really noticing a difference. Anything below that is pretty much a camera of convenience. Of course, as already has been pointed out, if that is the case then you're already carrying something that is merely convenient... your cellphone.

And yeah, I do usually have my Nikon SLR with me. :p

8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I usually have my Canon 20D or a Panasonic FZ8 with me. Both cameras shoot RAW format, which I prefer. The FZ8 is a bridge or zoom camera, not a P&S.

The camera in the SGS4G isn't that great. The Nokia C6 with the same pixel count took better pictures and it had a flash. Samsung makes cameras, so you would think they could do better.

9. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Verizon Wireless Sales, Traveling Musician
    i had the samsung fascinate before this one, and that was the best cell phone camera ive ever had! as for the rest of the phone though.... :mad:

10. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    I love the pictures my Charge takes. If I KNOW I am going to take pics, I will still bring my Nikon.

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Thing is I don't always know when I'm going to be taking pics, it's happened a few times for me a photographic moment suddenly arrises. Like being invited out to a banquet at the last minute, or I suddenly find out there is a party going on somewhere, or something just happens in the street. I haven't had a chance to go home and get the SLR or compact, but on the other hand I've always got my Galaxy S with me.

Personally, I don't really want to be carrying an SLR in a bag all the time, or carrying too many things in my pockets, like a compact camera.

Here's one of those sudden photographic moments which seems to happen to me...
    deptstore2.jpg
    An impromptu meeting of a 'Inner Mongolian department store Mike fan club'. I was only in there buying socks. Thing is I'm the only foreigner in Xilinhot most of the time, so seemingly crazy things like this can often happen. It's like being a VIP.

The best camera is the one I always have with me. :)

12. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm guessing you're the one on the far right in the flower dress? Am I close? ;)

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    No I'm the one in the pink, with my hand in front of my face. ;)

Here's some more of those impromptu Mongolian photographic moments.

Sandstorm..
    orange.jpg
    ...or the day the world turned orange for a few hours.

Surprise birthday party...
    birthday.jpg
    ..21 again.

Art class in someone's apartment...
    art class.jpg
    ...I was walking past, and they wanted a subject...
    art class drawings.jpg

Banquet with the Communist Party of China Regional Secretary(Xilin Gol League)..
    banquet.jpg
    ...guest of honour. I remember a lot of baijiu and expensive imported French wine was consumed that night.

...all taken with the Galaxy S, because that's the camera I had with me.

14. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    KCMO
    I guess a lot of it will really come down to what the end use of your images is. If it is to save a memory, any camera will do as long as it can take a clear enough shot. If it is for some sort of artistic or commercial sale, then that could cause a rethink of your carrying strategy. (I do have one artistic series that was done on a cellphone.) A lot will depend on what your possible end audience demands.

15. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Male
    BC, Canada
    I agree, the Desire takes some amazing shots and I use mine all the time now. In terms of length the lens feels like its a 35 to 40mm SLR equivalent. Higher-end P&S like the Canon G or Panasonic LX series are better at controlling washed-out skys or dark shadows in high contrast situations but, there is the $500 price tag. One can get a 'entry-level' dSLR for that.

16. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Happened again straight after work today, 'Hey Mike, let's go to an expensive restaurant, school is paying'. :)
    dinner with friends.jpg

That's what I do, and email the pics to friends in China and the UK.