• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Review] Vignette Camera App for Android

I use it on my Desire rooted and custom foro rom. No issues with it at all. I bought this app in April for my x10 and loved it on that device as well. On the Desire I have noticed that if you let the screen go to sleep the screen will not lock. Its in the main app settings. Found a few photos of the inside of my pocket before I discovered that.
Best camera app out there and constantly on my updated list of appbrain.

Upvote 0
Just bought Vignette and like it a lot. I've set the resolution to 5MP (Superfine). I upload to Flickr after taking a shot but the copy of the picture uploaded is very poor in terms of quality and resolution.

Is there any way to get Vignette to upload higher quality versions of the picture? The file sizes on the SD card in Superfine mode are 5.2MB with a very high resolution but what ends up on Flickr is only 322x244 in resolution.

Upvote 0
To answer my own question from two posts ago... Vignette uploads only a small, low-res preview immediately after you take a picture if you select Share. To upload a better quality version you need to select Menu > Gallery. Then select a picture, select View Picture, press Menu and the select Share to upload to Flickr.

Reactions: Relaxed
Upvote 0
To answer my own question from two posts ago... Vignette uploads only a small, low-res preview immediately after you take a picture if you select Share. To upload a better quality version you need to select Menu > Gallery. Then select a picture, select View Picture, press Menu and the select Share to upload to Flickr.

ah ok - glad you figured it out - I never upload anything directly out of Vignette, I've always gone in to my gallery app and shared from there which does upload the full sized images.

Another trick I figured out when using Vignette as your normal camera app when you don't always want to apply filters and frames is to go menu -> settings and put a check in Save originals

now when you take a picture just hit discard and you'll have that original shot saved in a new gallery called Camera (the downside is that it saves EVERY shot so you'll have to delete the ones you don't want out of the Gallery app itself)

or at least I've found that useful myself

Upvote 0
ah ok - glad you figured it out - I never upload anything directly out of Vignette, I've always gone in to my gallery app and shared from there which does upload the full sized images.

Another trick I figured out when using Vignette as your normal camera app when you don't always want to apply filters and frames is to go menu -> settings and put a check in Save originals

now when you take a picture just hit discard and you'll have that original shot saved in a new gallery called Camera (the downside is that it saves EVERY shot so you'll have to delete the ones you don't want out of the Gallery app itself)

or at least I've found that useful myself

Hey now...that's very useful information indeed. Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to set an image filename prefix in Vignette? My photos have very strange filenames (full date/time as a number). I think there were a couple of options when I first set up Vignette but I can't find them now. I'd like to be able to simply specify a filename prefix (eg. IMAG) and for Vignette to append the photo number (eg. 0001), so I end up with a filename like IMAG0001.jpg.

Upvote 0
Hey now...that's very useful information indeed. Thanks for that.

no problem - I've also made a Favorite in Effects and Frames called None so I can just view the photo as I took it before deciding if I want to apply effects or frames - and I've also created a Favorite called Everything Random where I set the Effects to Random and Frames to Random - always fun to play with if you're not sure about what to do with a shot.

Does anyone know how to set an image filename prefix in Vignette? My photos have very strange filenames (full date/time as a number). I think there were a couple of options when I first set up Vignette but I can't find them now. I'd like to be able to simply specify a filename prefix (eg. IMAG) and for Vignette to append the photo number (eg. 0001), so I end up with a filename like IMAG0001.jpg.

it looks like the option to change file naming has been taken out - I can't find it in the settings. Also as I recall you couldn't change it to what you wanted, just some variation of the date/time like it is now. You could try emailing the Dev's and ask for them to put that back or add the option of a custom file name prefix.

Upvote 0

Tap the on screen icon that tells you the image resolution, e.g. superfine. The choice is at the bottom of the screen that comes up. Your choices are date-time or milliseconds.

Reactions: rumbataz and Argent
Upvote 0
Another fan of Vignette here :)

I prefer it over Camera360 and FXCamera because it has the smallest footprint but the most functions. It doesn't limit the size and resolution. Plus, you can assign it to the camera harware button.

My fave is the tilt-shift, allows me to take miniature-type shots.

How do you assign it to the camera hardware button? does this mean when i click camera (regular camera built on phone) it will open vignette?!

Upvote 0
How do you assign it to the camera hardware button? does this mean when i click camera (regular camera built on phone) it will open vignette?!

It means that if you have a camera button on your actual phone (like you have a power button and volume buttons) pressing it will open Vignette. Not the camera app button within the phone.

Upvote 0
I've got some infos about this app that you may find useful

Autofocus has been disabled in Vignette, instead you can focus by long
pressing any of the shutter buttons. The reason for this behaviour is
that a cameraphone has a very small aperture, and therefore a very
large depth-of-field, and so focusing is often unnecessary - so you
can take a picture quickly by tapping the button, or autofocus when
time allows by holding the button for longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones