• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

Actually read that wrong. So at this point in time, you have s-off and an unlocked boot loader, but just didn't do an htcdev unlock correct? As long as your phone will enter fastboot through adb commands now, you should be able to just use fastboot flash recovery recovery.img with a recovery image file. If you have s-off, technically you don't even need an unlocked boot loader. FastbootRUU and "flash image gui" (app) will still flash a recovery and get super user or supersu on there for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I lied. I didn't leave the phone alone but I finally got s-off and unlocked. My fastboot error was because my hboot was too old. I had to bring it back up to 2.18. Once I did that the HTCdev unlock worked. Thanks to all who chimed in to help out. I guess this old dog can still do some old tricks though it takes me a bit longer to get it right.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Ok, I lied. I didn't leave the phone alone but I finally got s-off and unlocked. My fastboot error was because my hboot was too old. I had to bring it back up to 2.18. Once I did that the HTCdev unlock worked. Thanks to all who chimed in to help out. I guess this old dog can still do some old tricks though it takes me a bit longer to get it right.

Cheers!
Lol well glad you got it worked out

Upvote 0
I just saw your previous messages. I must've missed them in my delirious state. I did initially have s-off but I was NOT unlocked and fastboot flash wouldn't work because my hboot was too old. (This is my theory at least.) Once I updated hboot to 2.18 I was able to use flash again. Now I need to play with the Evo again. :)

Been thinking of trying out some ICM or KitKat Sense ROMs. Any good ones out there that you recommend.

Upvote 0
Hi folks --

Am also on FreedomPop (aka. FP). FP is forcibly retiring devices that can't run on ICS or better-- including all unmodified EVO OGs. More specifically, the Play Store is refusing to download FP's lastest app -- the one that provides its VOIP behaviors -- to Gingerbread devices. However, one user posted to FP's forum as follows: "I updated The HTC EVO 4g rom to 4.0.4 sense. The phones are working perfectly, " with only the loss of WiMax (which is being discontinued). I don't know what this user means by "perfectly", but I would like to find out.

I started with my EVO OG running Android 2.3.5, hboot 2.18, build 5.07.651.6, and radio 2.15.00.01.15. Guided by instructions from HTCEvoHacks (which use Captain Throwback's Method), I down-dated my phone to Android 2.3.3, hboot 2.16, build 4.24.651.1, and radio 2.15.00.05.02. But I wasn't able to complete the down-dating / re-rooting process because Sprint/HTC/Google have sabotaged Revolutionary.io. In fact, my research shows that they have disabled/taken-over all DIY unlock-code-computing tools/websites other than HTCdev. And unfortunately, I don't believe that HTCdev's code will work for hboot 2.16. In short, I think that I just shot myself in the face.

Here are my goals. I want to end up running ICS or better -- preferably with a fully functional camera. Losing 4G is okay. I want to be permanently rooted so that I can run Nandroid and Titanium backups. Can someone please point me in the right direction? If I end up having to re-update to hboot 2.18, should I do that by performing a "firmware update" or an "HTC software update"?

I'm running on WinXp Sp3.

-- Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had to tweak Captain Throwback's method a bit to finally unlock the bootloader and take S-off. When I reached the step where I had to use unrevoked I had an issue. While it did take S-off, it also locked my Evo. Not exactly sure why. My fix was to keep accepting updates until my HBOOT reached 2.18. At that point I unlocked the bootloader again using the HTCDev site.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones