• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rezound gives more details in Beat Audio

I didn't buy this phone for the Beats, and I'm glad. While it's nice that the phone came with a good set of headphones, I'm not a fan of the "audio enhancement" feature. I should probably point out that I'm not an mp3 player guy to begin with. I have a large collection of non-burned CD's and I ripped a few of them to my computer then copied them to my phone to try the audio features. What I've noticed with beats enabled is that it sounds like gain is increased, thus creating a more powerful output while compromising audio quality. I have beats disabled on my phone, using my equalizer and volume to create a more powerful output with less distortion.

Also, what's the deal with the stock music player briefly pausing between tracks? It ruins the listening experience when one track leads into the next. Is there a setting for this?

Upvote 0
Also, what's the deal with the stock music player briefly pausing between tracks? It ruins the listening experience when one track leads into the next. Is there a setting for this?
The MixZing player has the pause between tracks too, so maybe it's not the app. Maybe they're pausing to fetch the files from the SD card (at least in my case).

Upvote 0
In one line, Beat Audio mode in Rezound gives more detail of music, period.

I didn't buy the phone for the beats. But, IMO, you're description is on the money.

I listened to a CD this morning and there were "bits" in the song that I don't remember hearing before. The bass didn't seemed amped up at all ... in fact it almost seemed a bit tinny as you would normally expect from buds. But there were guitar notes that I've missed in the first few hundred times of listening. Little "accent bits", if you will, that seem to get lost with standard speakers.

Upvote 0
I'd say your best bet is to go with a Beats brand.

Vanns.com Search : Beats + monster cable

Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD High Definition On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk White 132711

These might work, and I've heard good things (pun intended) about Klipsch. These are on sale. Try calling them and telling them that you tried Coupon Code CMVANS and it won't give you 10% off, maybe the'll hook you up.

Klipsch IMAGE ONE on ear Image series headphones with 3 button remote and mic iPod iPhone call phone at Vanns.com

I to have heard very good things about Klipsh but when I checked out the link you posted I have to say I got the exact opposite feeling of the rep that Beats have. Meaning they may sound great but good lord they are ugly and old tech looking. Don't get me wrong the it's the sound that's important but you do want to have it packaged nicely as well. You want something that sounds great and looks sexy. Those headphones looked like GILF's gone WRONG Ughhhh!

Upvote 0
I to have heard very good things about Klipsh but when I checked out the link you posted I have to say I got the exact opposite feeling of the rep that Beats have. Meaning they may sound great but good lord they are ugly and old tech looking. Don't get me wrong the it's the sound that's important but you do want to have it packaged nicely as well. You want something that sounds great and looks sexy. Those headphones looked like GILF's gone WRONG Ughhhh!

lol, yeah they looked like they were built in cooperation with Fisher Price, but I think those were the cheapest Beats over-the-ear headphones they make. I'd say they're probably going to be closer to the Beats earphones included with the Rezound thus they might sound more tailored like the Beats earphones.

I'll actually admit that the Beats earphones sound better on the Rezound with the Beats software than my S4s do plugged in, but plugged into other MP3 players, the S4s sound better.

I wonder how many people actually bought this phone specifically for the Beats earphones. I'd say it's probably a very small percentage. I know I bought the phone expecting the Beats to sound like a hoodrat-ghetto-mobile with their trunk thumping all tin-can sounding with all their stereo equipment purchases made at Walmart, but I was actually surprised at how well they sounded with the Beats EQ setting. I'll take this setup over most other phone/earphone combo out there.

Upvote 0
Dude I was watching a movie with the Beats earbuds in and there was a scene with someone was walking through some gravel and I had to look around the room. It sounded like the invisible man was in the room doing softshoe or something..lol.(for you younger people that's when dancers used to sprinkle sand on the ground and do some fake tap dancing) I was very impressed.

Upvote 0
I didn't buy the phone for the beats. But, IMO, you're description is on the money.

I listened to a CD this morning and there were "bits" in the song that I don't remember hearing before. The bass didn't seemed amped up at all ... in fact it almost seemed a bit tinny as you would normally expect from buds. But there were guitar notes that I've missed in the first few hundred times of listening. Little "accent bits", if you will, that seem to get lost with standard speakers.

Before reading the rest of my post I ask that laughing be kept to a minimum but I was just listening to Heart's Magic Man....pause for the snickering to stop....and wow, some of the parts of that song had me wondering, "What the hell? I don't remember THAT instrument!" It mostly happened when I'd hear some horn playing. In the past I just heard it blend in with the music, but with the Beats it actually is distinct. oh and umm it wasn't really Heart it was umm...NWA...yeah NWA...BISHES!!

Upvote 0
I tried the Beats on my car player last night and I have to agree... I heard instrumentation in some songs I never heard before. I wonder if there is some kind of sonic effect applied like phase realignment that seemingly improves the overall sound and boosts some characteristics of the music.

Then again, maybe I just never paid THAT much attention to that Earth, Wind and Fire tune before. =:)

Upvote 0
Before reading the rest of my post I ask that laughing be kept to a minimum but I was just listening to Heart's Magic Man....pause for the snickering to stop....and wow, some of the parts of that song had me wondering, "What the hell? I don't remember THAT instrument!" It mostly happened when I'd hear some horn playing. In the past I just heard it blend in with the music, but with the Beats it actually is distinct. oh and umm it wasn't really Heart it was umm...NWA...yeah NWA...BISHES!!

TxGoat........Heart's Magic Man...........I may have to stop reading your expansive and prolific posts based on this very questionable selection of music lol.......but seriously......I agree.......I had the same experience listening to my Stones - Time Waits for No One......let's just never talk about that other song again

Upvote 0

Umm yeah RIGHT! By the way the Federal "Man's Man" Association called. They said although you are a long standing member, your recent choice of listening material calls for your immediate expulsion. Please return your membership card ASAP!

Upvote 0
TxGoat........Heart's Magic Man...........I may have to stop reading your expansive and prolific posts based on this very questionable selection of music lol.......but seriously......I agree.......I had the same experience listening to my Stones - Time Waits for No One......let's just never talk about that other song again

Umm yeah RIGHT! By the way the Federal "Man's Man" Association called. They said although you are a long standing member, your recent choice of listening material calls for your immediate expulsion. Please return your membership card ASAP!

You guys heard the man!!............

I for one support you, TxGoat. I STILL think Heart is one of the best all-time female-fronted bands. Ann Wilson has a voice that even some male singers cannot outdo.

Granted he had trouble with the Beats not coming on because he wasn't listening to music :p I kid I kid.....

I don't mind admitting that Heart is a good group. They have some great guitar riffs in their music.

I'll admit that I probably have one of the more diverse music collections out there. It's funny because I'll be listening to some 2 Live Crew with their vulgar lyrics, and then the next song is a classical song from Strauss (Don't laugh Amazon had 50 songs for $.99), and then some old country western song will cue up followed by some AC/DC, Scorpion, Def Leppard, and then some BoysIIMen, Jodeci....followed by some Beethoven and then some Sade.

Some of the songs I find myself listening to, with the Beats setup, at the risk of sounding like a corny commercial, it sounds like I'm listening to the song for the first time again.

Upvote 0
Its the placebo effect. You get something and want to justify that its something special. When in fact its nothing more than like many has said its just EQ manipulation. Theres nothing special about Beats because if there was only beats earphones would turn on the beats audio system. Its like when someone spends a lot of money on an item and wants to justify spending all that money. So they convince themselves that it was worth the money.

I bet if you are blind folded and had someone operating your phone asks you to pick out which one is beats playing and power amp. I can guarantee you can not tell which is which. You see that little red circle come on with the white B and your brain goes wow its so great. Funny how SRS dont do that.

Upvote 0
It's easy to say that Beats is just EQ attenuation because EQ attenuation is easy to identify to the untrained ear. Hearing things like phase realignment and other audio effects is not as easy to identify (I'm not saying any other effects are applied in Beats audio; I'm just saying). Also I think because everyone is listening harder to hear something different in the music (because Beats is new to everyone) is part of the reason people are hearing parts of the music they never heard before. But EQ and other audio effects will have that effect i.e. bringing out parts of the music that may have been buried in the mix without any effects. For my taste (and doesn't it come down to taste anyway?), I like the way Beats makes my music sound compared to having it turned off.

Upvote 0
Its the placebo effect.

For that to work, the subject is generally told how good or positive the item is. These guys were told the exact opposite.

Its like when someone spends a lot of money on an item and wants to justify spending all that money. So they convince themselves that it was worth the money.

The Beats earbuds were free so there is no need for them to "justify" expense. If anything don't most people place a negative impression on the quality of an item that's free by thinking it must be crappy if they are giving it away for free. That didn't happen here.

Some of y'all talking how special beats is reminds me of them fanboys and their iPhones. They talk about how superior their phone is to others Because of the little apple logo.

Lastly, you obviously don't know the posters at all. If anything TxGoat and thornev where told that beats were horrible and in fact expressed semi negative impressions on the beats earbud "gimmick" before they got their phones. It was only after LISTENING to music with them and giving them a fair chance that they changed their opinion. Even then I don't believe they were carrying themselves like "fanboys" or saying that beats are far superior to all other headphones, just that they were surprised how good they actually are. If you don't actually own a ReZound with the accompanying beats earbuds, and having listend to various media with it over a decent period of time(not for 5 mintues in a verizon store) then it makes everything you've said on the subject conjecture and opinion. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion as long as they are stated as such.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I didn't bypass it, I just quoted the points that I could knowledgeably contest. I have never denied that the beats software itself basically consist of eq profiles and such. To some that's a big deal to others it just doesn't matter if it makes the music sound better to them and they don't have to actually do anything but plug in their headphones.

Is it a bad thing that I want to plug and play and not have to mess with specializing eq settings? Would I pay $100 for them? No ... but I'm a frugal (ie, cheap-a$$) person and refuse to pay more than $20 for a pair of buds. 95% of the time I'm listening to audio-books, so sound quality is unimportant. Would I have bought the Rezound without the buds ... yes. The buds were completely unimportant to me.

So ... I saw them as free buds, didn't care about the gimmick, and don't consider myself an audiophile (to the point of spending my time with an equalizer program). I didn't even plug them in until I'd had the phone for three days!

I do have a background in music and enjoy listening to every part of a song (not just the melody, but the harmony, the bass, the percussion, etc) I'll listen through a song intentionally attempting to follow one instrument all the way through. It is by doing this that I have noticed 'bits' that I've missed on previous listening of a piece. This doesn't happen on all songs. I was almost disappointed when I listened to Trans-Siberian Orchestra and didn't notice anything new. But I did notice it on other songs. It's not a placebo, it's not justification, it just is.

Would I spend $100 on these buds if I had to buy them retail? No. I'm still a cheap-a$$ that refuses to spend more than $20 on buds. Will I sell them to my friend that wants to buy them from me? No ... they're mine!

I'm glad you found a workaround that you enjoy. I'm happy with my gimmick.

Upvote 0
Just found this so Beats is not just EQ. That is if you can believe anything you read on the internet.

"During his speech on February 9th, Iovine cited a long line of medocrity in the music supply chain; Everything from poor bitrate music files on iTunes to chintzy speakers on laptop computers. He noted this was particularly egregious because more and more, computers are our home stereos, and no one is hearing music the way the artists were hearing it in the recording studio. So how does Beats Audio actually address this?

The big theme here is trying to preserve the audio signal from interference as it moves it’s way down the chain to your ears. This includes attempts to isolate the audio hardware on the motherboard, having a discrete headphone amplifier, separated right, left, and ground audio wires, and even a headphone jack with “no metal parts” to reduce grounding noise. There’s also a Beats Audio-specific sound profile that can be enabled to take advantage of the particular hardware that Beats Audio provides."

Upvote 0
To me the Beats headphones and the Beats EQ setting on the phone are like a pair of decent speakers nicely matched to a decent stereo head unit. I'm not saying (nor have I heard anyone say) that the Beats are the greatest things to happen to my ears since that one Hooters waitress I met a few years ago. The system is BETTER than I anticipated it being when used with the supplied headphones.

Now I think maybe where some people are confused, especially when using a term like "placebo" which would indicate medicine or perceived medicine is actually part of the Beats system, is when they hear it's a "Dr. Dre" product. For the record Dr. Dre is NOT a practicing nor licensed doctor and thus I can see where some people would think that the Beats is just a "placebo". As far as I know, the earphones are not meant to be swallowed thus, calling them a placebo is just silly mumbo jumbo....

Upvote 0
I thought the beats feature only work with beats headphones.?

It works with most other headphones although some are reported not to activate it. It's been hypothesized on here that there may be a certain impedance that the phone is looking for in order to activate Beats. The Beats software is matched nicely with the included headphones despite what those say with NO experience with BOTH systems. I still don't see how someone can argue the contrary with no experience. It's like me claiming that a sports car is garbage because I've driven a car that has the exact same tires.

Upvote 0
It works with most other headphones although some are reported not to activate it. It's been hypothesized on here that there may be a certain impedance that the phone is looking for in order to activate Beats. The Beats software is matched nicely with the included headphones despite what those say with NO experience with BOTH systems. I still don't see how someone can argue the contrary with no experience. It's like me claiming that a sports car is garbage because I've driven a car that has the exact same tires.
again your making that call because you see the headsets and beats on. Like I said if you blindfold yourself and have someone switch between beats and like power amp. I bet you couldnt tell which was which. As many on here has said they basically copied the beats settings with it. Funny how no one will take my little test.

I dont doubt it sounds good. As I have it on my bolt and my cheap ear buds I have sound good with it but they sound just as good with power amp and also the SRS setting. So you have nothing special and heck I would wager your earbud innards are probably made with the same stuff as the cheap earbuds. Now you know why he came up with the Beats eq setting. After all DR dre is in it to make money. Monster is in it to make money. If people cant hear a noticeable difference in sound quality between the beats headphones/earbuds to lets say other ones in their price range or the cheap sets. Then they would have a hard time selling their products.

Upvote 0
Just found this so Beats is not just EQ. That is if you can believe anything you read on the internet.

"During his speech on February 9th, Iovine cited a long line of medocrity in the music supply chain; Everything from poor bitrate music files on iTunes to chintzy speakers on laptop computers. He noted this was particularly egregious because more and more, computers are our home stereos, and no one is hearing music the way the artists were hearing it in the recording studio. So how does Beats Audio actually address this?

The big theme here is trying to preserve the audio signal from interference as it moves it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones