• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rezound GPS question

Are you guys using the navigation app (with the blue triangle icon) or the VZNavigator app for GPS?
Strictly Google Maps and Navigation (blue triangle). I don't think there's any benefit to paying $10/mo for VZNavigator on an Android phone. Or a BlackBerry or iPhone either.

There are some other navigation apps in the Android Market as well. I haven't tried them, but some of them offer various social networking features if you're interested in that.

Upvote 0
I went running Saturday, used Runkeeper and Cardiotrainer. Still had the same problem. Both apps showed the same tracking errors, in some cases a quarter mile jump into the middle of a house and back! So it doesn't appear to be an issue with these apps. I did install the latest Maps update before running. Haven't tried uninstalling all of the Maps updates.

Never use VZNavigator. I haven't tried using Navigation while driving, I should do that and see what it does.

Upvote 0
I went running Saturday, used Runkeeper and Cardiotrainer. Still had the same problem. Both apps showed the same tracking errors, in some cases a quarter mile jump into the middle of a house and back! So it doesn't appear to be an issue with these apps. I did install the latest Maps update before running. Haven't tried uninstalling all of the Maps updates.

Never use VZNavigator. I haven't tried using Navigation while driving, I should do that and see what it does.

I have a Rezound, same problem. There are threads about this issue on other sites (I forget which - XDA? AndroidCentral?). The Rezound GPS seems to perform admirably when driving, but when using it for more slow-moving activities like running/hiking/biking, it's all over the place. There are screenshots on other sites of tracks of people just walking around their blocks, and the recorded tracks are insanely inaccurate - all over the place. I never had this problem on other Android phones, so I'm assuming it's a Rezound problem.

Upvote 0
I've got a few GPS related questions...I was going to start a new thread but then I saw this one, so I'll just ask here.

First off, I don't think I need GPS for anything other than when I occasionally use Navigation and checking the weather. Will it help me save battery if I turn GPS off?

When I look at the GPS options it has "stand alone GPS", "VZW Location Services", and "Google Location Services", and i can check or uncheck each one separately. I'm just a little unsure what exactly each one does...and will it mess up any of my essential apps if i disconnect them.

Also, I noticed that when all 3 are unchecked i still have the 'crosshair' symbol in the status bar. Is this for 911 GPS? So I assume it will always be in my status bar?

Upvote 0
I have a Rezound, same problem. There are threads about this issue on other sites (I forget which - XDA? AndroidCentral?). The Rezound GPS seems to perform admirably when driving, but when using it for more slow-moving activities like running/hiking/biking, it's all over the place. There are screenshots on other sites of tracks of people just walking around their blocks, and the recorded tracks are insanely inaccurate - all over the place. I never had this problem on other Android phones, so I'm assuming it's a Rezound problem.
Whew! Glad to hear it's not just me. I've asked HTC about this and am waiting to hear back from them. If I get anything useful I'll let everyone know. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones