• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ringtone folder confusion

HTC Desire, Android 2.2

I am having problems with custom ringtones disappearing, being changed to other ringtones by the system, etc.

Looking at the SD card, I see:

1. The folder /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones does not exist.
  2. The folder /sdcard/.ringtonetrimmer exists and contains several trimmed ringtones that I made some time ago (before the upgrade from 2.1 to 2,2). Yesterday, these 'disappeared' from the phone, and the default ringtone was changed to 'Silent' even when the overall setting was Normal.
  3. The folder /sdcard/Ringtones exists and contains the two trimmed ringtones that I created yesterday to replace the missing ones. Today, these disappeared, and the ones stored in /sdcard/.ringtonetrimmer appeared again. The phone had not been turned off in the meantime.
What folder should the system look in for custom ringtones, and why does it sometimes look in a different folder?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones