• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
first, make sure you are using the stock messaging app and not handcent. for some reason, you can't save the ringtone attachment if using handcent. When you open the message and the ringtone, touch the menu key and then 'select attachment' and make sure you enable the green checkmark.

Now, about where it is and how to move it into a file called ringtones:
on the home screen press Applications icon. Find and press My Files. Press the folder called 'download.' your ringtone should be in there. Long press the ringtone, select Move and at the top press Create folder. Then name the folder "ringtone" if you'd like.

Hope that helps

P.S. when you have saved the ringtone attachment, it should show up in your music player. you can long press it and choose "Set as" and the option will come up that allows you to assign it to a contact as a caller ringtone

Reactions: bby31288
Upvote 0
Okay...new issue for me. I downloaded a message tone from Zedge that I wanted to use as my notification tone for texts. It downloaded fine. I saved it in the file I named ringtones. BUT...try as I might, when I cannot find a way to assign it as the notification tone. I've tried going in through settings, sounds & display, notification tones, but it doesn't show up. I've tried going in to settings through the messaging app - doesn't show up. I've tried long pressing it, but the only option is to set as voice call ringtone. I can't see how to add it to the choices for notification tones.
Help!

Edited: Nevermind. I figured out that I had to create a folder called "Notifications" and move the tone there. Then it magically appeared as an option in the sound settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones