• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Roam Control

Hello,
I tried the roam control app on stock rooted firmware. It didnt make any difference, i know, because I went into Verizon Coverage area, but a known sprint dead spot. :eek: No service... now i know that VM does NOT support roaming, but I have a Sprint PRL installed(11115), and I would pay extra on my credit card to make the occasional call when needed... :cool: Any ideas? should i repurchase the apk and try it again? Any background info is also appreciated.
Ricksta

Hello,
I tried the roam control app on stock rooted firmware. It didnt make any difference, i know, because I went into Verizon Coverage area, but a known sprint dead spot. :eek: No service... now i know that VM does NOT support roaming, but I have a Sprint PRL installed(11115), and I would pay extra on my credit card to make the occasional call when needed... :cool: Any ideas? should i repurchase the apk and try it again? Any background info is also appreciated.
Ricksta

I think the problem is that the Triumph is a single band phone, which goes to say that if you travel into an area where there is no Sprint signal, it literally CAN'T lock onto another carrier's signals unless they are on the same frequencies in the spectrum.

Upvote 0
really? that sucks... I thought Sprint and (shudder) Verizon used the same bands? I guess not the 1900mhz band then... :S well that super crappy! better hope I don't need to make a 911 call while outside of Sprint coverage. ;) but i'm confused... I really thought Verizon used a 1900 mhz band... googleing it now. ;) and i got that Verizon actually uses a 1900 mhz band, exacty like sprint... so why no roaming then with a Sprint PRL? acccording to this sight anyways... Understanding Cellular Technology and Bands | PhoneDog well, I'll kee researching I suppose but I always find forums saying nope it aint gonna happen, which doesn't help me. :(

Upvote 0
really? that sucks... I thought Sprint and (shudder) Verizon used the same bands? I guess not the 1900mhz band then... :S well that super crappy! better hope I don't need to make a 911 call while outside of Sprint coverage. ;) but i'm confused... I really thought Verizon used a 1900 mhz band... googleing it now. ;) and i got that Verizon actually uses a 1900 mhz band, exacty like sprint... so why no roaming then with a Sprint PRL? acccording to this sight anyways... Understanding Cellular Technology and Bands | PhoneDog well, I'll kee researching I suppose but I always find forums saying nope it aint gonna happen, which doesn't help me. :(

Verizon uses two bands, sprints and verizons. Verizon and sprint have agreements. Often a sprint or verizon user can roam on eachothers network without showing roam status because of this agreement. look at the sprint and verizon maps and tower locations.

Upvote 0
Normally a Sprint or Verizon phone's 3G chipset includes two bands -
the 800MHz 'Cellular Band' which is preferred by Verizon, and
the 1900MHz 'PCS Band' which is preferred by Sprint.

Technically sprint and verizon have both but it is due to agreements.

This is the 1900MHz map.

exception_map_v1_en.jpg

Reactions: rvarn1
Upvote 0
So basically I'm just out of luck then? Cause Im in between where 1-10 and 1-75 intersect, so coverage is decent. Just curious about roaming... So from what ive gathered Verizon is mostly 850 mhz and my Triumph only does 1900 mhz, right? If thats so, super duper crap lol. Kinda eliminates roaming, doesn't it? Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
Curious about roaming? Heres your answer.

You cant.

Virgin Mobile does not allow roaming. Period. Theres a reason its half the cost of its parent's service. That is why. I beleive the Triumph is still 800mhz capable, but its turned off due to the fact that it is not needed at all as Virgin Mobile does not allow roaming. So the phone ends up being 1900mhz only. Ive heard that the 800mhz side might get turned on later as Sprint increases its home network to include 800mhz towers, thus letting VM phones onto those but only if Sprint acquires/builds 800mhz towers.

Roaming is an option that has been fully exhausted on the Optimus V which is fully known to have a 800/1900mhz chipset because its a carryover of the Optimus S on Sprint which CAN roam. People have tried getting the V to Roam with no luck. It cannot be done.

Upvote 0
You can enable roaming on CM7 (see the ROM here) but it won't register; the above is correct. Virgin has disabled cross-system registration even if you have loaded a different PRL. You should be able to make a 911 call, however, even though it appears to have "no signal" provided there's a tower it can reach. For obvious reasons I haven't tried actually doing it.

Upvote 0
Curious about roaming? Heres your answer.

You cant.

Virgin Mobile does not allow roaming. Period. Theres a reason its half the cost of its parent's service. That is why. I beleive the Triumph is still 800mhz capable, but its turned off due to the fact that it is not needed at all as Virgin Mobile does not allow roaming. So the phone ends up being 1900mhz only. Ive heard that the 800mhz side might get turned on later as Sprint increases its home network to include 800mhz towers, thus letting VM phones onto those but only if Sprint acquires/builds 800mhz towers.

Roaming is an option that has been fully exhausted on the Optimus V which is fully known to have a 800/1900mhz chipset because its a carryover of the Optimus S on Sprint which CAN roam. People have tried getting the V to Roam with no luck. It cannot be done.

I have the Triumph and I have tried different Sprint prl's with the roam control app and I couldnt force it to roam but it would roam in automatic mode onto verizon but voice only, no data.... for whatever thats worth.

Upvote 0
Yesterday i went to visit Mom in Tijuana Mexico. and called 911 just to see if it connected and i did not let it place the call so im not sure if it would, but i did notice that before on stand by for lack of a better term, the triumph on miui had no bars and said invalid code or something like that at the top part wher it usually says virgin . so no signal bars until i dialed 911 and it gave 4 bars and gave a message (emergency call back mode for 50 seconds all data apps will not function) and it lit the gps icon.
seems like virgin can provide roaming.
is their a mod or apps that can be used to enable roaming

Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile does not offer roaming. If you out of Sprint's coverage, your out of luck, it doesn't matter what phone you have. You can change the PRL but I haven't heard any success stories of being able to roam on any wireless network.

The roam control app will tell you what network you are currently on. I uploaded a sprint prl that allows 3G roaming and my phone has roamed onto Verizon several times but with no data.

The other day it roamed onto some network called Nextwave I think, and it showed I had 3G but barely any service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones