• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roaming Grayed out galaxy s6 edge

jimmywayne23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
so i have my galaxy s6 edge from verizon with a mexican carrier (iusacell which is now at&t since they bought it) i connect to at&t service but i have no data, and roaming is grayed out, cant seem to enable i already selected the option allow access for all trips and still no luck.

1st problem is Verizon phones are CDMA and AT&T phone towers are GSM, so if where you are does not have a CMDA tower that partners with Verizon, you will not be able to send/receive SMS or get voice calls.

Data still works providing there is an LTE band signal available to you.

I read about chatsim.com/en just now, and did not know anything about it, having zero need for it myself.

What I don't see mentioned is, will it work with skype to allow you to access a Real World telephone number? messaging services, like what ChatSim just mentioned will not provide you with voice calls unless that is handled somehow....

as I said, I know zero about that service.

I have direct experience with if where you are does not have a CMDA tower that partners with Verizon, you will not be able to send/receive SMS or get voice calls.

There is a town called Winston, MO, USA and AT&T is the only game in town. it is a barren desert for Verizon for some reason. I was there for 24 hours to attend a funeral, and never once was I able to make a phone call or send out a SMS message... I had to use WiFi to access the internet and from there, I accessed Verizon's Texting service to send out a message to all that I cannot make/take phone calls or messages until I leave that town.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones