• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rogers S5 not receiving Lollipop?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andr...and-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-users-in-Norway_id67069

Looks like in Norway, there is considerable concern about the problems that have been popping up with 5.0 in some areas of the world.

Wonder if they are only looking at Verizon, or if there are other real concerns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Samsung unit told callers that they are working feverishly on a new version of the update that will include fixes for all of the bugs that affected other users of the two former flagship models. These problems include random freezing of the phone, force closing of the contacts application, problems with the alarm on both handsets, crashes and performance issues.

Samsung Norway says that besides fixing all of the issues, its version of the Android 5.0 update will include a new solution for silent mode. Android 5.0 removes this setting from handsets powered by Google's open source OS.

Upvote 0
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andr...and-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-users-in-Norway_id67069

Looks like in Norway, there is considerable concern about the problems that have been popping up with 5.0 in some areas of the world.

Wonder if they are only looking at Verizon, or if there are other real concerns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Samsung unit told callers that they are working feverishly on a new version of the update that will include fixes for all of the bugs that affected other users of the two former flagship models. These problems include random freezing of the phone, force closing of the contacts application, problems with the alarm on both handsets, crashes and performance issues.

Samsung Norway says that besides fixing all of the issues, its version of the Android 5.0 update will include a new solution for silent mode. Android 5.0 removes this setting from handsets powered by Google's open source OS.

Old news I'm afraid. ;)

In fact, so, "feverishly", did Samsung work on it... they had the updates out last week, (5 days before that article was even written!:rolleyes:). See post #80, here...

Whilst not a new Lollipop release for these 2 CSC codes, there is a so-called, "bugfix", update for...

NEE = Nordic Countries update from NL9 -> OB7

TEN = Norway (Telenor) update from OA3 -> OB7 ***

(N.B. These are on the new OB7 firmware with Mute toggle and Screen pinning).

*** Congratulations to Telenor of Norway who managed to get the OB7 update out on their lightly carrier branded firmware in only 11 days after the initial release! :)

Quick question for any Rogers customers here, from Canada??? As I had stated, I hadn't received the update, went into store today, and they are telling me that Samsung pulled back the update, as there were bugs, I read about Norway, but nothing for north America. Anyone else heard anything?

Rogers build OB3 is still available, AFAIK, and has been pushed out in one go to all Roger's customers by Samsung, not rolled out. In fact, C-Spire have just released Lollipop on the same build. Norway, above, was on much older firmware originally. See #1.8 and #1.9 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? for firmware builds and what they mean.

Have you tried connecting your phone to the Samsung PC suite Kies to obtain the update? For reasons you may not have received the update and what you can do about it, see #1.10 and #1.11 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Old news I'm afraid. ;)

In fact, so, "feverishly", did Samsung work on it... they had the updates out last week, (5 days before that article was even written!:rolleyes:). See post #80, above...

Rogers build OB3 is still available, AFAIK, and has been pushed out in one go to all Roger's customers by Samsung, not rolled out. In fact, C-Spire have just released Lollipop on the same build. Norway, above, was on much older firmware originally. See #1.8 and #1.9 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? for firmware builds and what they mean.

Have you tried connecting your phone to the Samsung PC suite Kies to obtain the update? For reasons you may not have received the update and what you can do about it, see #1.10 and #1.11 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

I've done all that. I have been in touch with Rogers, originally they kept referring back to the fact that I unlocked my phone via 3rd party, (still using Rogers APN and SIM card), never rooted... I have tried KIES, and get the same message that my version is up to date. So, I went into a local Rogers store, and spoke with Staff... who weren't aware of any issues, but had no answers... then get a DM (twitter) from Rogers, saying that Samsung has pulled back the release, due to issues. But I can't confirm this, and I tell them that the only pull back I have seen was for Norway, to which they state to contact Samsung, have done that, with no reply as of yet. Not really so concerned about getting the actual update, as from what you had said, I can do it manually with ODIN (Rogers rep though I had to be rooted to use ODIN though), but I want to make sure that my phone is working correctly in that, any updates that do come, I will receive... it's frustrating as hell. I suspect that the Rogers rep I spoke with, googled Lollipop and saw that Norway was pulled back and just referenced that, as I am just the dumb customer.

Just reading the release notes, etc... I went to SamMobile and they don't show my model number (SM-G900W8) for firmware anyhow. But when I checked previously as well, my CSC etc were all in check still...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've done all that. I have been in touch with Rogers, originally they kept referring back to the fact that I unlocked my phone via 3rd party, (still using Rogers APN and SIM card), never rooted... I have tried KIES, and get the same message that my version is up to date. So, I went into a local Rogers store, and spoke with Staff... who weren't aware of any issues, but had no answers... then get a DM (twitter) from Rogers, saying that Samsung has pulled back the release, due to issues. But I can't confirm this, and I tell them that the only pull back I have seen was for Norway, to which they state to contact Samsung, have done that, with no reply as of yet. Not really so concerned about getting the actual update, as from what you had said, I can do it manually with ODIN (Rogers rep though I had to be rooted to use ODIN though), but I want to make sure that my phone is working correctly in that, any updates that do come, I will receive... it's frustrating as hell. I suspect that the Rogers rep I spoke with, googled Lollipop and saw that Norway was pulled back and just referenced that, as I am just the dumb customer.

I refrain from making any comment regarding, "some", mobile/cellphone staff. ;)

The unlocking procedure itself, may be preventing you from receiving the update. What are your exact, present, Version details as per #1.8 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

It is worth noting that all 13 Canadian carrier firmwares were released on OB3, see post #79, here. I do not hear of all Canadian firmwares being pulled... do you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I refrain from making any comment regarding, "some", mobile/cellphone staff. ;)

The unlocking procedure itself, may be preventing you from receiving the update. What are your exact, present, Version details as per #1.8 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

It is worth noting that all 13 Canadian carrier firmwares were released on OB3, see post #79. I do not hear of all Canadian firmwares being pulled... do you?
That is what I suspect. I haven't spoken to TECH support yet, just Customer Service, never got past there, like I said, at this point, not overly concerned as it appears 5.1 is around the corner...

Here are my details.
PDA: G900W8VLU1ANF3 (Bootloader and Baseband, show the same)
CSC: G900W80YA1ANF3 (not sure if that is W8O, or W80)

My current firmeware is 4.4.2 from June 16th, 2014 And I have a build number as well.

Upvote 0
That is what I suspect. I haven't spoken to TECH support yet, just Customer Service, never got past there, like I said, at this point, not overly concerned as it appears 5.1 is around the corner...

Here are my details.
PDA: G900W8VLU1ANF3 (Bootloader and Baseband, show the same)
CSC: G900W80YA1ANF3 (not sure if that is W8O, or W80)

My current firmeware is 4.4.2 from June 16th, 2014 And I have a build number as well.

Your CSC code of OYA is OK and you are running the previous edition, Android 4.4.2, for Rogers so I'm guessing that maybe the 3rd party unlocking procedure is to blame. I must warn you that by flashing the latest Rogers Lollipop release, you, or Rogers, may end up re-locking your phone.

EDIT: I have asked our kind, friendly, helpful and generous Mods to try and create a separate thread for your problem so that we can keep this one free for updates. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your CSC code of OYA is OK and you are running the previous edition, Android 4.4.2, for Rogers so I'm guessing that maybe the 3rd party unlocking procedure is to blame. I must warn you that by flashing the latest Rogers Lollipop release, you, or Rogers, may end up re-locking your phone.

EDIT: I have asked our kind, friendly, helpful and generous Mods to try and create a separate thread for your problem so that we can keep this one free for updates. Hope you don't mind.
So, if I were to Pay Rogers to unlock the phone (which is our option and right now in Canada), would i have this problem? The unlock code didn't cost me much anyhow, I don't mind doing it again. But I unlocked my phone back in June and it still took the July 4.4.2 update on it's own? I will have to try to call tech support and see what they can figure out. Not sure if this would be related or not, back in October, my account was hacked... and caused some changes to my monthly package, but not my number, there was no new SIM given, etc... but could that have blacklisted my device by chance? Also, i recently bought and put in the Suretap SIM, instead of the regular SIM, issued by Rogers still though?

Upvote 0
So, if I were to Pay Rogers to unlock the phone (which is our option and right now in Canada), would i have this problem? The unlock code didn't cost me much anyhow, I don't mind doing it again. But I unlocked my phone back in June and it still took the July 4.4.2 update on it's own? I will have to try to call tech support and see what they can figure out. Not sure if this would be related or not, back in October, my account was hacked... and caused some changes to my monthly package, but not my number, there was no new SIM given, etc... but could that have blacklisted my device by chance? Also, i recently bought and put in the Suretap SIM, instead of the regular SIM, issued by Rogers still though?

Rogers may have put a, "watch", on your phone/account/number which may or may not be an issue. I do know that from previous posts on here, that 3rd party unlocking can cause problems sometimes and that flashing an updated firmware via Odin can re-lock the phone. You will need to speak to Rogers about your unique circumstances I'm afraid. You might like them to also confirm that their Lollipop update has been withdrawn as per the store guys info to you in your post #1. ;)

Upvote 0
Rogers may have put a, "watch", on your phone/account/number which may or may not be an issue. I do know that from previous posts on here, that 3rd party unlocking can cause problems sometimes and that flashing an updated firmware via Odin can re-lock the phone. You will need to speak to Rogers about your unique circumstances I'm afraid. You might like them to also confirm that their Lollipop update has been withdrawn as per the store guys info to you in your post #1. ;)

Just did Live Chat with Rogers, they say it's a Samsung thing, spoke with Samsung, and they have checked their database, and state that my baseband's current firmware is indeed 4.4.2. Not 5.0, and with no information on release time frame for 5.0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just did Live Chat with Rogers, they say it's a Samsung thing, spoke with Samsung, and they have checked their database, and state that my baseband's current firmware is indeed 4.4.2. Not 5.0, and with no information on release time frame for 5.0

Here is Rogers firmware for Lollipop, still available...

Model SM-G900W8
Model name GALAXY S5
Country Canada (Rogers)
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 4100894
Build date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:51:06 +0000
Product code RWC
PDA G900W8VLU1BOB3
CSC G900W8OYA1BOB3

You can either flash this via Odin, see #1.11 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? or continue playing, "Pass-the-Parcel", with Rogers and Samsung.

Upvote 0
They did not confirm that, just that my Baseband is not on the list for having received the 5.0 update yet. I never got a chance to ask about it being pulled back, at work, and difficult to put too much effort into chat. Will confirm next time I am on with them.

Strange! Every Canadian carrier has the same Baseband number for GSM. This is the modem/radio for receiving signals. Have just finished speaking with Samsung UK and they are unaware of any Canadian firmwares being pulled. I also checked through Google and the only reference to a Canadian Lollipop firmware being withdrawn is this thread. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem as jmatteis, but mine has never been altered in any way... not even a sim unlock.
The phone has been powered off for several months. When I powered it back on 3 days ago... I received an OTA update for android 4.4.2 I guess. Never got the 5.0 one.
The phone has been on and used with a sim card and connected several times to several wifi networks.
I've tried the verify software upgrade on the phone wultiple times a day in vain.
Also just tried plugging it into kies3, also in vain...
Model number : SM-G900W8
Carrier : Rogers
Baseband : G900W8VLU1ANF3
CSC Code : RWV
PDA Version : G900W8VLU1ANF3
CSC Version : G900W8OYA1ANF3

Don't really feel like flashing via odin, don't want to probably void the waranty

Upvote 0
Just a thought... if you install Phone Info Samsung, free from the Play Store, and run it... what does it show under, "CSC INFO"?
That is where I got that info, but the other day when I did the *#1234#, I got the same values... It was in fine print, just 3 lines on the screen, I think, is that right?
I'm having the same problem as jmatteis, but mine has never been altered in any way... not even a sim unlock.
The phone has been powered off for several months. When I powered it back on 3 days ago... I received an OTA update for android 4.4.2 I guess. Never got the 5.0 one.
The phone has been on and used with a sim card and connected several times to several wifi networks.
I've tried the verify software upgrade on the phone wultiple times a day in vain.
Also just tried plugging it into kies3, also in vain...
Model number : SM-G900W8
Carrier : Rogers
Baseband : G900W8VLU1ANF3
CSC Code : RWV
PDA Version : G900W8VLU1ANF3
CSC Version : G900W8OYA1ANF3

Don't really feel like flashing via odin, don't want to probably void the waranty
Looks like your Baseband is the same as mine, so maybe Samsung got it right, that this baseband never got the update yet.

Upvote 0
This is my conversation with samsung canada live chat :

Vincent: What is the Baseband version your device?

Vincent: You can find the Baseband version from Home screen >> Apps >> Settings >> More >> About Device >> Baseband version.

Alex: Baseband : G900W8VLU1ANF3 CSC Code : RWV PDA Version : G900W8VLU1ANF3 CSC Version : G900W8OYA1ANF3

Vincent: Than you for the details.

Vincent: Let me check the information for you.

Vincent: I have checked the information, I see that the only update available for this Baseband version isKitKat(Android 4.4.2).

Vincent: As of now the update version of Lollipop 5.0 is not yet released for this Baseband version.

Alex: That's odd, there would be two different basebands from the same carrier? Because all over the internet, there are reports of Lollipop hitting galaxy S5's on Rogers

Vincent: I certainly understand your concern. However, the Android version updates are model and Baseband specific.

Vincent: You will be notified with a notification on your device once the update is available.

Vincent: You may also check for the available updates on the device itself from Settings >> More/General >> About device >> Software updates >> Check for updates.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:
Samsung now confirm that ALL the Canadian releases, here, have been pulled due to technical problems. It would seem that some users were experiencing screen freezes and forced closes.

That explains how they could use the baseband to determine if there was an update available, since the pull applied to anyone with the Canadian Baseband.

Keep watching S5 Lollipop (Android 5) latest releases for updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones