• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Update: 911 Fix for Rogers HTC Dream and Magic is Ready

Hey everyone,

My friend just gave me a spare magic he had lying around. This is my first driod decvice and i am trying to install the 911 rogers update. I have HTC sync installed (it finds my phone) but when i run the update it disconnects my phone from htc sync and give me an error msg. It says make sure the usb cable is propritly connected.

I have also tried using the rogers 911 wavier but it tells me i have in incorrect IMEI number.

If i plan on rooting my phone should i install this update?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Upvote 0
HTC sync is not meant to update Android. Plus if you have a non updated Magic, look around this forum before you do. There are many reason to NOT use the ROGERS update. Other forum dwellers will probably give better answers than mine be patient !

Rogers will cut data connection until you do their update, but it is probably easier to ROOT if you do not do the upgrade.

Reactions: clone7
Upvote 0
If i Root it, will they still cut off my data?

HTC sync is not meant to update Android. Plus if you have a non updated Magic, look around this forum before you do. There are many reason to NOT use the ROGERS update. Other forum dwellers will probably give better answers than mine be patient !

Rogers will cut data connection until you do their update, but it is probably easier to ROOT if you do not do the upgrade.

Upvote 0
If i Root it, will they still cut off my data?

There is a way to do it, I haven't done it yet myself (still rocking the original 1.5 OS). It was discussed in these forums between myself and GreatBigDog. I can't find the thread at the moment (it might actually be part of this very thread some pages back) but it is definitely in the Rogers sub-forum. If I can't find it, try asking GreatBigDog to point you to it. In fact, I think he has a post about it on his blog.

Upvote 0
Cyanogen offer many more options that are not available on the standard image from Rogers including a better version of android and some tweaked kernels that boost cpu speed.

You will have to backup your information (contacts,apps,calendar) because updating to a newer major version requires a clean install. If Cyanogen offers a update to a specific version you won't need to erase everything. You just copy the update on the sdcard boot into recovery mode, apply the update and reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
ok, that's what i want to hear. :)

So the latest 6.0 cyan is best for htc magic now? is it on 2.1 or 2.2 kernel?

thanks

Cyan 6 is Froyo/2.2, v5 is 2.1. CM5 is very stable and a major improvement over 1.5. I'm running 2.2 and wouldn't go back after getting used to it. But for others I'd still suggest 2.1 until 2.2 is finally called stable. Your mileage may vary. I don't know what's taking R so long but isn't something I'm at all worried about since I'm happily 3 versions ahead already.

Upvote 0
The January update cut my possible open browser windows form 8 to 4, and after installing this latest update (after a factory reset, since despite a mostly empty 8 GB aftermarket card, nothing less that I could do would get rid of the "insufficient storage" message) I am effectively down to 1, because I cannot move between browser windows without it trying to download the page again. WHY? The only plausible explanation in my mind is that Rogers wants to ring up the data bill by forcing a new download of a page every time it is returned to. Either that or make life maximally difficult for those who are not on Rogers data plans in order to force them off wifi and on to a plan. Every time I think this company has finally reached the limit of its exploitive practices they come up with something new.

Upvote 0
Right, I suppose I should try and avoid indulging the corporate conspiracy temptation. It's just that Rogers is one of the pre-chosen bookmarks so I'm suspicious.

Last time I don't think I lost my phone numbers because it automatically sync-ed them back in or something but this time I did. And please nobody tell me to install HTC Sync on my computer because I tried installing and working with it many many times back in January and it does not work on Windows 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones