• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm thinking of ditching cable and getting Roku. I'd get Netflix but what else?

I have an older TV, no HDMI/USB nuttin' so all of my TV watching needs have to be met through Roku. The only things I really watch are NCIS and Criminal Minds. I also watch hockey and baseball, I'd probably get MLB.tv premium and NHL GameCenter (not sure about that due to blackouts, may not be worth it).

What is free and what is paid/subscription and what do you cable-free folks recommend?

Pro's and con's please :)

I've posted in both the links Kelmar listed, but I'll just reiterate, we cut the cord a few years ago and have been fine ever since. We first started out with a Blu-ray that could stream Netflix and even that was fine. Now we have a Roku and it's even better.
We usually just use it for Netflix and Amazon, but there's loads of shows on there. My wife likes it for the Korean soaps. :)
Also picked up a Chromecast for fun, so now we have Youtube since it's not on Roku.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I have a Roku 3 and I'm very happy with it (Netflix). Only downer is that it has to run on HDMI which means I can't take it just anywhere and plug it in like I would have been able to do with the Roku 2.

You can run any video service on HTPC without any restrictions, and its much easier to navigate. Home Theater PC is more practical in every way possible. Roku has zero advantages over HTPC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones