• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][ALPHA][5.1.1] CyanogenMod 12.1 4/28/2015

phenomx4

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 28, 2012
North Las Vegas , Nevada
This is a Alpha release of CyanogenMod 12.1 for the Zte Awe so please don't expect this to be 100% stable. Before flashing this rom I recommend you make a backup just in case. Please report and bugs you encounter, preferably with a logcat.

About (Taken from Cyanogenmod website)

CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

What works:

• Audio/speaker phone
  • Headset/headphones
  • Calls
  • Touchscreen
  • Lights/brightness
  • External SD
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • Proximity sensor
  • MTP
  • GPS
  • Tethering

What's partially working:

• Camera (Use 3rd party camera apps such as Camera MX for now.)
  • Texting (Use hangouts or some other 3rd party app)

What's not working:

• Offline charging

Issues:

Change Log (source)
Click

Change Log (device)
HTML:
4-28-2015
Initial release

Credits and thanks:

Cyanogenmod
Hroark13
Jimsmith80
ZTE

Patches:

HTML:
None

Gapps:

or

Minimal:
Download from this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/gapps-google-apps-minimal-edition-t2943330

Download:

https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs...omx4/N800/cm-12.1-20150428-UNOFFICIAL-nex.zip

Screenshots:
Comming Soon

While donating is not required to use this rom it's always appreciated
Donations:

Well, I was going to wait until at least the stock Mms.apk was working, but this, this is too good not to run it permanently. No Mms, no Camera2? I dont even gaf. :) Daily driver! This rom is running smooth as hell. Looks like the memory leak is all plugged up too. Awesome work! Someone should do some benching on this one. I've got a feeling it'll out perform stock at this point. Its almost like the rom can read your mind... everything opens in a snap, NO LAG AT ALL! Wonderful, just wonderful, and no issues with 3g either! I cant thank you enough for this.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd let everyone know that if you want stock messaging, you can grab the mmsprovider.apk, and MMS.apk from the Dirty Unicorn rom and use it. Make sure they're put in the right place, set permissions and reboot first. Just tried it, and it works like a beast.
MMS is working as well as SMS? If so would you mind posting the APKs? Going to decompile them and compare against CM12.1, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Well, I was going to wait until at least the stock Mms.apk was working, but this, this is too good not to run it permanently. No Mms, no Camera2? I dont even gaf. :) Daily driver! This rom is running smooth as hell. Looks like the memory leak is all plugged up too. Awesome work! Someone should do some benching on this one. I've got a feeling it'll out perform stock at this point. Its almost like the rom can read your mind... everything opens in a snap, NO LAG AT ALL! Wonderful, just wonderful, and no issues with 3g either! I cant thank you enough for this.
5.9 on quadrent love it I'm still tweaking with 3c runner:) both cores at 1.7 and GPU at 400mhz performance

Upvote 0
MMS is working as well as SMS? If so would you mind posting the APKs? Going to decompile them and compare against CM12.1, thanks in advance.

Confirmed, SMS works, but to get it working after switching the MMS apks, you'll need to force stop the app, and clear its data, only had to do it once, no problems since. Sends and receives. Uploaded.

Attachments

• MmsService.apk
    132 KB · Views: 725
  • Mms.apk
    2.1 MB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
MMS works using hangouts and dirty unicorns stock SMS and MMS are working great and super fast no lag

Upvote 0
Try UC browser. Working so far there's lag when typing on android forums though. I never tried the stock browser, but I did try running dolphin browser, and it crashes about halfway through loading any web page, but I think that's them not playing nice with Art. Opera browser definitely works, but it doesn't have tabbed browsing.
I was using opera Facebook didn't work no more and it did work on a previous version of 5.1.1

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried running the original MMS.apk with the MmsService.apk from Unicorn? Curious if its the MMS.apk that's the problem or the services apk, or both. If anyone could upload the MMS.apk from CM12 I'd appreciate it. Forgot to grab it. Thanks in advanced, it'd save me some flashing.
Tried both apks on the Moto G CM12.1 and SMS works but MMS is still a no go. Will decompile now and see what I can find out.

Upvote 0
@phenomx4 man just wanted to say what great job you've done keeping development alive for the Awe. Its amazing to me that a device that wasn't officially supported past 4.1.2 is now running 5.1.1, kudos man. It still gives me warm and fuzzies to see CM10 on the G1 lol. I love the development community. [emoji106]

Upvote 0
The privacy options are soooo sweeeet! For once I can actually deny Google knowing my location, and now it actually gives good results since its not thinking I'm in f***ing New Jersey anymore! I can actually shop online for crap that's in stores where I'm at! Also noticed that you can edit permissions of individual apps, and its working great so far. I'm actually having trouble finding any bugs other than the things everyone already knows about. I'll be sure to pull logs if I encounter any unexpected behavior. This rom has came along beautifully so far. I'd love to see this make it to at least beta, if not a Final release, and I'm willing to do anything I can to help make that happen. Your work has already made this phone the best investment ever. I can't even find a phone I'd like to replace this with. Every time I check, its about the same story, no roms, no recoveries, no better hardware for the dollar. You've really helped this device live up to far beyond what anyone could have ever been expecting from it.

Upvote 0
The privacy options are soooo sweeeet! For once I can actually deny Google knowing my location, and now it actually gives good results since its not thinking I'm in f***ing New Jersey anymore! I can actually shop online for crap that's in stores where I'm at! Also noticed that you can edit permissions of individual apps, and its working great so far. I'm actually having trouble finding any bugs other than the things everyone already knows about. I'll be sure to pull logs if I encounter any unexpected behavior. This rom has came along beautifully so far. I'd love to see this make it to at least beta, if not a Final release, and I'm willing to do anything I can to help make that happen. Your work has already made this phone the best investment ever. I can't even find a phone I'd like to replace this with. Every time I check, its about the same story, no roms, no recoveries, no better hardware for the dollar. You've really helped this device live up to far beyond what anyone could have ever been expecting from it.
@phenomx4 man just wanted to say what great job you've done keeping development alive for the Awe. Its amazing to me that a device that wasn't officially supported past 4.1.2 is now running 5.1.1, kudos man. It still gives me warm and fuzzies to see CM10 on the G1 lol. I love the development community. [emoji106]
There still more to come never ending story for the awe

Upvote 0
Mms.apk reloaded with the original CM12 launcher icon. Also, for the old school CM fans, I give you a small treasure thats very hard to find these days... Teleport! (Rename extension to .ogg for proper quality, I had to rename it to mp3 to satisfy androidforums file upload policy. Stupid...)

Attachments

• Mms.apk
    2.1 MB · Views: 268
  • Teleport.mp3
    11.2 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones