• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][Beta][FINAL] CM7 Android For Triumph [Tickerguy Edition, Kernel: mine] 11/19

Been having terrible battery life the last two days especially today.

Went from Full Charge to 28% in 7 hours @ work. I've checked my programs running. And have had atleast 120mb free in Ram. So programs in the background hasn't been an issue. Will try and run autokiller memory optimization and run it @ extreme to see how well it does there. (I was getting 10+ hours on froyo w/ umph kernal and clocked @ 1.5ghz ondemand from full charge to 50%~ in those 10 hours)

Also I noticed a little bug? Maybe it's just a difference from 2.2 to 2.3. When sending sms' w/ more than 160 characters in froyo would automatically put it to an MMS. While in this mode, it keeps it as an sms but never sends it as a huge SMS. I've found a work around by allowing it to split it every 160 characters and sending multiple sms. But with the MMS, it helps oh so much to get it in one huge text. Just curious is all about that one.

The rom is in prime condition. But the battery life is killing me and is pushing me more and more to go back to stock w/ Umph. Which I really don't want to do.

Reactions: metalman1884
Upvote 0
Been having terrible battery life the last two days especially today.

Went from Full Charge to 28% in 7 hours @ work. I've checked my programs running. And have had atleast 120mb free in Ram. So programs in the background hasn't been an issue. Will try and run autokiller memory optimization and run it @ extreme to see how well it does there. (I was getting 10+ hours on froyo w/ umph kernal and clocked @ 1.5ghz ondemand from full charge to 50%~ in those 10 hours)

Also I noticed a little bug? Maybe it's just a difference from 2.2 to 2.3. When sending sms' w/ more than 160 characters in froyo would automatically put it to an MMS. While in this mode, it keeps it as an sms but never sends it as a huge SMS. I've found a work around by allowing it to split it every 160 characters and sending multiple sms. But with the MMS, it helps oh so much to get it in one huge text. Just curious is all about that one.

The rom is in prime condition. But the battery life is killing me and is pushing me more and more to go back to stock w/ Umph. Which I really don't want to do.
try lowering the cpu speed and see what happens.

Upvote 0
try lowering the cpu speed and see what happens.

I have it set to ondemand 122/1024. And I hardly ever turned my screen back on.

Interesting thing I did noticed under battery life consumption. Was phone idle'd and under that it said time without signal 91%. But I was in a position at work where I did have a signal 3-4 bars easy. So... I'm a bit lost.

Upvote 0

Interesting thing I did noticed under battery life consumption. Was phone idle'd and under that it said time without signal 91%. But I was in a position at work where I did have a signal 3-4 bars easy. So... I'm a bit lost.

the TWS (time without signal) bug is well known and exists both under stock and cm7 port. similar bug was in Optimus V (shows 50% TWS no matter what) and was corrected under cm7 port. TWS may or may not have negative effect on battery consumption. in any case there's nothing you can do about it right now, just ignore it.

Upvote 0
I noticed you mention "Yahoo! Mail".. after intense investigation I tracked that down to a major cause of my battery shortage. This XDA Forum link explains further: Yahoo Mail causes major battery drain! - xda-developers

Totally agreed, I've seen the Yahoo! mail app suck a handset dry in like 6 hours... there are plenty of good alternatives out there.

People need to remember that battery life isn't totally dependant on the ROM and the kernel it's running under - if you've got a misbehaving or hoggish app hovering in the background eating up CPU it's going to suck that battery PDQ. :)

With a complete wipe and clean install of 10/16 I am seeing battery life that's just as good if not better than previous builds. I'm wondering if that change to using PWM to 'dim' the soft buttons is maybe saving a teeny bit of juice? Wishful thinking? Maybe but I like it! :D

Upvote 0

Sounds like you have a problem with the signal then. I think with no signal I tries to use more battery to find a signal. Is the roof or any item in the work blocking the signal.

Upvote 0
Totally agreed, I've seen the Yahoo! mail app suck a handset dry in like 6 hours... there are plenty of good alternatives out there.

People need to remember that battery life isn't totally dependant on the ROM and the kernel it's running under - if you've got a misbehaving or hoggish app hovering in the background eating up CPU it's going to suck that battery PDQ. :)

With a complete wipe and clean install of 10/16 I am seeing battery life that's just as good if not better than previous builds. I'm wondering if that change to using PWM to 'dim' the soft buttons is maybe saving a teeny bit of juice? Wishful thinking? Maybe but I like it! :D

I have yahoo mail and without using my phone for 8 hrs and I have %62 battery life left.

Upvote 0

That is very true. I recommend an app like Watchdog to monitor background CPU usage by various apps. Great way to track those "misbehaving" background apps.. which is how I discovered Yahoo! Mail sucking me dry. And I can't stress this enough: LOSE THE TASKKILLERS. They interfere with Android's native memory management and cause the phone to work even harder. Taskkillers were great for OS versions prior to 2.2 only. Alot of people I know who complain about battery life also use auto task killers. Clocking down to 122mhz idle is also helpful.

Low Battery Life is NOT an issue of this ROM.. it's dependent on the user so i suggest visiting forums on improving battery life with CM7

As for the dim softkey lights, I would assume they would save SOME battery life whether noticeable or not. In any case, I especially enjoy not having those buttons shining so bright when I'm trying to watch a Netflix movie at night time. They were so annoying. Thanks to Tickerguy, that is no longer an issue :)

Upvote 0

I was also wondering about this, it must be a bug since both checked and unchecked SMS Split option in Messaging settings do the same thing. And I agree that sending out just one long MMS is much better than a bunch of short SMS pieces, since sometimes parts get hung up and the person doesn't receive a piece till was later or it get all scrambled.

Hope there's a way to fix this, then everyone else needs to get with the program so I don't have to receive pieces from them! :)

Thanks guys

Upvote 0
I have Skype installed on the newest beta release of CM7. Everything works fine as far as front and rear camera that I've noticed. The only issue I am having is while being connected to WiFi and I put the phone up to my ear during a call the screen times out and my WiFi connection reboots due to the screen timeout. I've went thru every setting in my phone to try and change the screen from timing out while in call. Does anyone know a way of stopping the screen from timing out? I would like it to stay on unless I power the screen off. Thanks if anyone can help.

Upvote 0
I have Skype installed on the newest beta release of CM7. Everything works fine as far as front and rear camera that I've noticed. The only issue I am having is while being connected to WiFi and I put the phone up to my ear during a call the screen times out and my WiFi connection reboots due to the screen timeout. I've went thru every setting in my phone to try and change the screen from timing out while in call. Does anyone know a way of stopping the screen from timing out? I would like it to stay on unless I power the screen off. Thanks if anyone can help.

Settings ->display -> screen timeout doesn't fix it?

About the only other thing I can think of is that Skype is.using the proximity sensor and overriding the display timeout setting. In which case you'd have to find a way to tell Skype not to use the sensor ...

Upvote 0
Settings ->display -> screen timeout doesn't fix it?

About the only other thing I can think of is that Skype is.using the proximity sensor and overriding the display timeout setting. In which case you'd have to find a way to tell Skype not to use the sensor ...

Thanks but no it doesn't work. I've tried all the options that are in the phone and regardless of the options I've enabled and disabled whenever I am in call once I put the phone to my ear the screen times out ( I believe its the sensor though that's forcing it to timeout ) which makes the WiFi connection I'm on disconnect and reconnects once I remove phone from my ear. I have to have phone away from anything hiding/blocking the sensors which forces me to have the speaker phone on in order to have a WiFi based conversation lol. Wow it seems so complicated =)

Upvote 0
I'm also having the same issue even with a fresh install. I guess it's back to stock for me.

All the way back to stock, eh? :)

It seems like a mixed bag on this one from all these reports. I thought my battery life was bad at first, too, but it seems to be getting better. I did a reboot yesterday afternoon when I was at 90% thinking maybe something was hanging around. Anyway, with a little help from juice defender, I'm at a total of 28 hours unplugged and sitting at 8% right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones