• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] BlueKingdom 1.4 - Updated 9/29

I did this process a couple of weeks ago and love it so much more than the stock HTC android version. I have an Evo Design and I only have one little problem. I can't use the ESPN Fantasy Football App. When I start it up, it claims that it can't connect. I go on Facebook, or use the web browser to confirm that I am connected to the internet. I've tried re-installing the app multiple times. I even tried to just go to the ESPN Fantasy site using my browser, but that doesn't work either. It says the page is unavailable. It's like my phone is blocking access to that entire service. I did not have this problems before I put BlueKingdom 1.4 on my phone. Does anyone know what could be causing this.

I know from using that app and playing fantasy football ESPN blocks rooted phones. Its extremely stupid and none of their business what we do with our phones.

Upvote 0
i wipe my phone and cant get it reinstalled

Having SiP will just use your minutes while you're on wifi. I disabled, just use wifi to make calls out.

Also @ jssa28, can you put an option to ring only not just vibrate and ring? everytime I send something out it vibrates. Or duo vibrating. I did compare with it off and on and yes that option not only make text or calling vibrate but other apps as well.

Upvote 0
freedompop app referring to the messaging app thats blue. The one that has logs in is different if other users reading this is confused lol.

What he is referring to is freezing the Messaging app and using a different SIP app with Google Voice. For example sipdroid or csipsimple via pbxes.org. I have used this method before but it will no longer work after May 2014 as Google is disabling their XMPP service for Google Talk which is what all of these methods use. Using this won't use minutes but it will use data.

BTW FP's Messaging app is just a custom flavor of the open source CSipSimple app. I was actually able to extract the login info and settings from Messaging app and put them into CSipSimple directly. You lose the ability to send and receive texts, but I use Google Voice for that anyway. Messaging has some issues including a major wakelock issue that kills battery life. CSipSimple works great and with the FP settings in it, it uses minutes and not data. And battery life is improved significantly as your phone is able to go into deep sleep.

Upvote 0
but i am confused now.
When i got my htc phone from freedom pop i was allowed to add as many Sip accounts as I wanted. I think it was in about phone add account.Was this a part of htc or something freedom pop added. I have problem restore my backup rom So i cant recheck. When i reset with kingdom 1.4 i wipe out the sip setting so now i miss my google voice and other. Wouldn't it use less battery by using the built in setting? I also wonder about the setting that comes up in estask manager. Did kingdom1.4 increase my cpu to 2.1 and pixel denisity

I have found that freedompop sent out phones with different setups on them. My wife and I both got phones about a month apart and hers has a few custom ROM type tweaks that mine does not. But in neither case were we able to add our own SIP accounts to the phone without a 3rd party app.

I beleive that AOSP ROMs allow you to add SIP accounts in the stock dialer, but these ones have a sense-based dialer that doesn't seem to have that option. So I'm not sure exactly what you were seeing. Whatever it was, it wasn't normal.

Upvote 0
jssa28, thanks for providing this excellent ROM. When I use a CDMA RUIM in Asia, calls and texts work okay but the data doesn't work. It does make a data connection but no meaningful data transfer takes place. I read in one of the forums for another phone that in CDMA mode, it doesn't make use of APN details. They modified phone.apk to make it behave like the GSM mode and also modified something in framework-res.apk to pass user/password for CDMA mode. After that the data stuff started working correctly. I believe this is a problem with most stock ROM's for US carriers. China Telecom uses RUIM and their firmware doesn't have this problem for their phones. One example is HTC Droid Incredible 2 for which US ROM's don't work well for data with RUIM while Chinese counterpart works well. In Chinese ROM, CDMA APN option is available and when set up, is used correctly to make data connection. I was wondering if it's something you could do for us. It would be extremely useful for many of us. Hope this is not a very complicated fix and please excuse me if this is an unreasonable request.

Here is the link to that thread for more info:
forum(dot)xda-developers(dot)com/showthread.php?t=1023116

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
he says
settings
hit call
hit account
hit add accounts

Ah yes, so this is what I was talking about. Wasn't sure how to access it on a sense ROM. This is a built-in Android feature, not something FreedomPop or HTC put in. That particular menu seems to be inaccessible in this ROM. In JellyBean that menu isn't found in system settings, it's found within the built-in dialer settings. But since this has the sense dialer, that menu isn't in there either. Not sure how to access it in this ROM since those menus aren't accessible on it.

In any case, yes Android has a built-in SIP function but you can get the same features using a 3rd party app like sipdroid or csipsimple. You could actually even add an account in the built-in SIP settings to use FreedomPop's SIP service instead of their Messaging app. You just have to know the login info, which you can get by backing up the Messaging app up with Titanium Backup and then extracting the data and viewing the database with a sqlite database editor.

Upvote 0
BTW FP's Messaging app is just a custom flavor of the open source CSipSimple app. I was actually able to extract the login info and settings from Messaging app and put them into CSipSimple directly. You lose the ability to send and receive texts, but I use Google Voice for that anyway. Messaging has some issues including a major wakelock issue that kills battery life. CSipSimple works great and with the FP settings in it, it uses minutes and not data. And battery life is improved significantly as your phone is able to go into deep sleep.

Can you share where you found the FreedomPop login info in the Messaging app? I'd like to do the same. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Can you share where you found the FreedomPop login info in the Messaging app? I'd like to do the same. Thanks.

I described it briefly in another post above, but here are the essential steps. You'll have to fill in the gaps.

1. Use Titanium Backup to backup the FP Messaging app
2. Copy the .tar.gz data file from the backup to your computer
3. Extract the file and open the database file with a sqlite viewer
4. Find your password in the Accounts table, the field is called "Data type" and is in the form of a 32 character hex string

I described it in a little bit more detail here: Drew Withers: How to make your FreedomPop phone awesome

Upvote 0
Has anyone with Freedompop tried this ROM on 4G wimax? I don't have wimax coverage in my area, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it yet on this ROM or if there is anything special you have to do to get it to work.

It works fine on Wimax, although the only way to know it is connected is that there is no 3G indicator next to the signal strength in the status bar.

You'll also want to install 4G Toggle for Evo from the Play Store to enable Wimax: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jasoncalhoun.android.toggle4g

Reactions: dawithers
Upvote 0
the only way to know it is connected is that there is no 3G indicator next to the signal strength in the status bar.

Weird.

You'll also want to install 4G Toggle for Evo from the Play Store to enable Wimax: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jasoncalhoun.android.toggle4g

I installed this widget, but it doesn't show in the widgets menu. You have this working on BK1.4?

Never mind. I had it installed on my SD card.

Upvote 0
First off thank you for your work on this! It is fantastic. Here are a few things I noticed. None of them are a big deal.

• You already noted the issue with the front-facing camera
  • No 4G icon when on Wimax (can't confirm this as I don't have wimax)
  • Brightness toggle in the menu is super dim and hard to see, especially the Auto button
  • No way to access the Phone settings for adding SIP accounts. On stock it is found in the system settings under phone. On AOSP JB it is found by going into the menu of the stock dialer. Neither of those are available in this ROM

Upvote 0
I described it briefly in another post above, but here are the essential steps. You'll have to fill in the gaps.

4. Find your password in the Accounts table, the field is called "Data type" and is in the form of a 32 character hex string

I described it in a little bit more detail here: Drew Withers: How to make your FreedomPop phone awesome

Awesome info! Never thought to extract the info like that.

Upvote 0
I tried this method, works well on calling, and csipsimple can sent txt msg but cannot receive.
I knew GV can do that however, if CSIPcimple can do txt msg, we can totally get rid of FP messaging app

Upvote 0
I tried this method, works well on calling, and csipsimple can sent txt msg but cannot receive.
I knew GV can do that however, if CSIPcimple can do txt msg, we can totally get rid of FP messaging app

I just use GV since it gets me free voicemail too. FP's PBX doesn't allow changing your outbound caller id so there is no easy way to get it to show your GV number for outbound calls, but it is good enough for me.

Upvote 0
dont use pbx box for sip use https://simonics.com/gvgw/
if i remember that shows you goggle voice number
i dont rember if text work i did do something once and found something that work

Sure you can use another server like that or like pbxes.org and it can use GV via googles xmpp protocol but then you are using data instead of minutes. And that functionality will no longer work after may 2014 since google is shutting down their xmpp. I'd rather settle for inbound GV with SMS and not have outbound GV caller id but use minutes and not data.

Upvote 0
I'm having some issues with Google maps. The map itself will flicker when updating and sometimes the taskbar will glitch and turn partly yellow. I'm heading home from vacation, so the best I can try now is uninstalling maps and reinstalling. Has anyone else noticed this?
Also, I saw someone said that there isn't much you can do for Google Now, but using its search bar doesn't open the results when I click on one. It's like it's only programmed to use the default Android browser. Is there anyway to get it to work with dolphin? Or another browser? Otherwise that search bar on my home screen is kind of useless.

Upvote 0
I had same issue. Using older 6.14.4 version is OK.
IMHO Google recent apps are getting worse.

I'm having some issues with Google maps. The map itself will flicker when updating and sometimes the taskbar will glitch and turn partly yellow. I'm heading home from vacation, so the best I can try now is uninstalling maps and reinstalling. Has anyone else noticed this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones