• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM ]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed Version 11 !! Froyo 2.2.1 FRG83D

So I cant get the update to stick....I install the zip over the old version 10 and it says successful but then after reboot, it is still showing the LV Kernel from your old version 10 Rom. Also shows FRG83...not the D version.

Any ideas?
The kernel that came w/ V11 is actually the low voltage not the ultra. I ended up w/ the LV also flashing V11 from stock .

Upvote 0
OK i finally came over to charity and i have to say, this stock kernal is great, the best stock kernal on any rom ever(i normally flash new kernals). I have used my phone all day, unplugged at 11am and now at 130 am still at 50 percent. The whole rom is very smooth and fast, charity and lyf are neck and neck and with this rom being pretty bugless compared to UD's latest few roms, its almost a new #1 for me.Very impressed

Reactions: dew912
Upvote 0
Ok, it's been a few days now running V11. I simply flashed it over top of V10 with no wipes. SetCPU working as it should, WiFi works on home network, usb tethering worked on my laptop running Linux Mint, battery life just as good as V10, absolutely no stability issues to note on. I have a bit of screen redraw using LauncherPro after playing a game of Angry birds, but it is nothing big to me. I definately rate this as a 5 star Elite ROM.

I really, really, really wish this ROM was supported in ROM Manager so I would know when an update arrives. But if androidforums gets additional page hits due to people loving and following this ROMs development, so be it. :D
It keeps me coming back. Keep up the outstanding work. Donation sent.

Upvote 0
Theme loaded and working, looks awesome, really dig it!!

EDIT: Seems this does indeed break WIFI for me as well =|

cap201011281355.jpg
cap2010112813552.jpg

Sir, I must ask you where you got that Ichigo wallpaper, and how did you get those different icons?

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only Bleach nerd!

Upvote 0
I love this ROM (and that galaxy s theme) but im having trouble with the wifi. It worked fine for me in v10. Now it will say obtaining ip for a few seconds, connect, then disconnect and start the process again. I have tried connecting to multiple networks (one of which is my home network). Ive tried flashing it a couple of times, doing a wipe, changing kernels. My wifi is working fine in Simply Stunning but i prefer this ROM since it isnt hideous like SS and both work pretty much the same for me. Any help would be appreciated

edit - so my wifi just started working randomly...while i was typing that post lol

Upvote 0
WiFi Tether has always worked fine for me on dew's Charity ROM, but I seem to have nothing but issue with my iPod touch trying to connect to my Droid since installing v11. Anyone else having issues?

I was working to connect an iPad yesterday and was having trouble. I got it to work by going into settings under the wifi you are trying to connect to and there was an option to "renew" the IP. I would think that the touch has the same option. I don't have mine with me right now to check. Also I had to grant permission under the access control section. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
I was working to connect an iPad yesterday and was having trouble. I got it to work by going into settings under the wifi you are trying to connect to and there was an option to "renew" the IP. I would think that the touch has the same option. I don't have mine with me right now to check. Also I had to grant permission under the access control section. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

thats what made it work on mine, i also flashed chevys 1.25ghz lowv kernel and it works fine today

Upvote 0
Have flashed Chevy's 1.25ghz LowV kernel (no joy on working WiFi Tether) and RE-flashed Charity v11 to restore stock Charity kernel (and STILL no functional WiFi Tether). Not sure what all could have changed in Charity - my app selection has not over the past two months and WiFi Tether has always worked without any issues up to v11. But since I absolutely require WiFi Tether to work, I may finally (though reluctantly) have to move to ANOTHER ROM beyond Charity to restore WiFi Tether functionality... :(

Upvote 0
anyone notice busybox is broken? I have formatted the phone / sd card and cant get it to work titanium backup only installs the same version of the installer and rom manager WILL crash on fix permissions

I also had some problems with busybox, but not exactly the same as you.

A description is on the first page of this thread and I resolved it by:

Okay...fixed. I purchased the app, Root Tools ($ 0.99 at the time in Market) awhile back so I could quickly play with boot animations and fonts. I haven't used it much otherwise. Anyway, from within this app ->extras ->miscellaneous -> Symlink busybox applets. I have no idea what the hell this means and it really didn't seem to do anything at the time but metamorph and ninjamorph now work and I have the phone looking like I want.

Not perfect, though, because it involves purchasing an app.

Worked for me.

Upvote 0
When I restart my phone it takes at least ten minutes before it's really useable. The homescreens come up fairly quickly, but if I try to navigate at all the phone is very slow and launcher pro consistently force closes. On top of that, a bunch of apps don't show up in the drawer and if any of them have icons on one of the homescreens they show up as the green/white android icon. The sync icon is also in the notification bar during this whole slow period.

Any ideas? After about ten minutes the phone is back to normal speed, the sync icon is gone, and all of the apps re-appear in the drawer and on the homescreens.

Upvote 0
Have flashed Chevy's 1.25ghz LowV kernel (no joy on working WiFi Tether) and RE-flashed Charity v11 to restore stock Charity kernel (and STILL no functional WiFi Tether). Not sure what all could have changed in Charity - my app selection has not over the past two months and WiFi Tether has always worked without any issues up to v11. But since I absolutely require WiFi Tether to work, I may finally (though reluctantly) have to move to ANOTHER ROM beyond Charity to restore WiFi Tether functionality... :(

What tether app are you using? i was using barnacle and Wireless Tether for root users. Barnacle dose not for for me right now but Wireless tether for root users works perfectly.:)

Upvote 0
What tether app are you using? i was using barnacle and Wireless Tether for root users. Barnacle dose not for for me right now but Wireless tether for root users works perfectly.:)

Using Wireless Tether, as Barnacle does not (never has) work for me either. This is truly puzzling - I never once had issues with Wireless Tether working on Charity since I came to it back at v9 (or v8?). As a last ditch effort, should I wipe/reset and reinstall Charity v11? (I did *not* do that when upgrading from v10 - I simply installed v11 over v10). Will reluctantly try a wipe/reset - I sure don't want to spend the next hour loading everything up - and report back with my results... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Using Wireless Tether, as Barnacle does not (never has) work for me either. This is truly puzzling - I never once had issues with Wireless Tether working on Charity since I came to it back at v9 (or v8?). As a last ditch effort, should I wipe/reset and reinstall Charity v11? (I did *not* do that when upgrading from v10 - I simply installed v11 over v10). Will reluctantly try a wipe/reset - I sure don't want to spend the next hour loading everything up - and report back with my results... :thinking:

Just spent the last TWO hours reinstalling/resetting every thing on my Droid after a rewipe of Charity v11 -- not only does WiFi Tether STILL not work, WiFi doesn't work AT ALL - does the connect/fail/reconnect drill over and over and will NOT connect to my home WiFi network at all. This is a major step-back!

Am resorting to a pre Charity v11 backup (Charity v10.2 I think?) where I didn't have any WiFi issues because I don't want to leave this ROM -- but if the WiFi issues appear on my backup, I will definitely need to leave Charity behind... :eek:

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I will figure out the wifi/wifi tether thing sometime in the next day or two. Has something to do with the kernel. Will resolve shortly!
dew, truly appreciate your efforts. As a matter of fact, because I can't get WiFi working at all now on either of the last two versions of Charity (after multiple wipes/resets), I spent yesterday afternoon and evening installing and setting up both Bugless Beast and LFY ROMs - and really didn't end up liking or staying with either. They're both okay ROMs in their own right, but compared to the speed, design, look and simplicity of Charity ROM, they simply do not compare. So I'm back on Charity to stay, despite broken WiFi - I would much rather be on Charity for all of its advantages and the WiFi issue, than deal with slow-downs and occasionally clunkiness of BB and LFY. Just my .02 cents...

Upvote 0
Dew, now that the 2.3 SDK has been released, i assume the next version of Charity will be on Gingerbread?

That would be a correct assumption, the SDK is not the same thing as the source though.

A ROM gets built when the source is released. it has not been yet. google usually releases the source a few weeks after sdk. If i had to pin a date for new ROM, a complete guess would be around Christmas.

In the meantime, how many people are actually having trouble with WiFi, please respond if you are having NO problems as well, I want to get a feel for this...

Reactions: carassius
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones