• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM for a phone with no service

I'm looking for a ROM that will allow me to use the phone as a WIFI only device. I KNOW that I could just set it to airplane mode, but I dont want that. Or, with a rooted phone, what would I have to delete to not have the capability to connect to cellular towers and only to WIFI networks.

Is this possible? Does it exist?

I switched to Sprint and got a Hero "NEVER LOOKED BACK". But now I have a fantastic device, and just want to use it for Google Voice, apps, games, GPS, etc...

Google Voice for mobile still needs a cell connection. GPS needs ongoing mobile connectivity for the maps. Market, games and apps that do not need location should work. I really think airplane mode will be your best solution.

I'm using voice now on root now with no service and just WiFi access , I hsve noticed that there is about a two min delay but it may just be my WiFi as I'm outside.

Using Rom from sticky about no computer needed to root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones