• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Froyo FRF91 SS v4.4 [7/9/2010] From SOURCE - All 4.3 Issues Fixed - Maps/Market, ALL!

This rom is not for me. I hate to say it because I think Chevy is a great developer, and SS4.3 reflects that, but not so in my case with 4.4.

Let me say first that I always wipe before installing any new rom.

When I installed SS4.4, the first thing I noticed was that none of my apps would restore on their own. The market wouldn't restore them, and neither would Titanium Backup, and Titanium Backup has never failed me before. I had to go into my Market Downloads and install everything manually.

Then, I thought I'd try a different kernel. I went to Rom Manager and installed one. It went through the ClockworkMod installation and rebooted, but when checking I discovered I still had the 1.1Ghz kernel. No change.

Since my Quadrant scores were barely breaking 1000, I thought I would just restore SS4.3 and wait for 4.4 to be a little more *bugless*. When I went into ClockworkMod Recovery to restore 4.3, everything went as normal until my Droid booted back up with SS4.4 again.

I'd gotten enough of that, so I decided to restore BB V.04 again. Again, everything normal in ClockworkMod Recovery, but SS4.4 booted up instead.

I had to flash SPRecovery and restore a Nandroid backup (I couldn't find any of my ROM backups for some reason) that was not a rooted backup and got to experience my non-rooted Droid all over again for about 5 minutes. I went back into SPRecovery again and this time found my BB.04 backup and restored that and everything is fine again.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced what I did, but I'm gonna take a pass on this new version. No offense to Chevy or anything, I love his work, and I know this version will get better with time like BB Froyo had to.

Upvote 0
Are you sure your phone is actually booting into recovery? Since you already flashed spr I would flash clockwork again and then try one off your backups. Also when I switched to 4.4 I used chevy's app backup and restore and it worked perfect for me. It was by far the quickest and easiest rom I have ever switched to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Are you sure your phone is actually booting into recovery? Since you already flashed spr I would flash clockwork again and then try one off your backups. Also when I switched to 4.4 I used chevy's app backup and restore and it worked perfect for me. It was by far the quickest and easiest rom I have ever switched to.

Actually, it was not booting into recovery, it was simply rebooting... very frustrating. I'm used to the market doing its restoration and Titanium Backup taking care of the rest which has been very easy for me. Not having any problems with Clockworkmod Recovery except when using ss.4.4.

Upvote 0
Actually, it was not booting into recovery, it was simply rebooting... very frustrating. I'm used to the market doing its restoration and Titanium Backup taking care of the rest which has been very easy for me. Not having any problems with Clockworkmod Recovery except when using ss.4.4.

I have had clockwork problems with many of the 2.2 roms. But as far as apps and data restorations chevy's program was awesome. I installed this and was up and running in 15 minutes with his backup and restore. I was extremely impressed.

Upvote 0
I have had clockwork problems with many of the 2.2 roms. But as far as apps and data restorations chevy's program was awesome. I installed this and was up and running in 15 minutes with his backup and restore. I was extremely impressed.

I wasn't sure how to use it (Chevy's recovery). I'll try it again. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, after using this thing for a few days, here are my thoughts on this (Note: This is the FIRST Chevy ROM I've run)

Disclosure: I've typically run Pete's BB (V0.4) and Fab's (NexBeast FRF57 V0.1.1) ROMs exclusively, but decided to give Chevy's a shot since his kernels work so well..

- Free/Available memory seems to be low resulting in noticeable lag between pressing a button on the touch screen and the resulting action and swiping across screens (using LauncherPro and never had this issue); also end up having a lot of homescreen redraws too..
- BKAPPS and RSTAPPS functions are great, but caused some quirkiness in certain apps. For example, I use the standard google calendar app, but after restoring via RSTAPPS, some of my events were messed up (e.g., would show an event on a widget, but couldn't see the event on the actual calendar).
- Random reboots (have only experience this 2x before using this ROM), usually when playing Robo Defense at 1.1Ghz (if I downclock to 800Mhz, we're ok), but at other times it'll reboot for no apparent reason. Only had this happen ONCE on both BB V0.4 and NexBeast FRF57 V0.1.1
- Battery life isn't as good as it was when I was running BB V0.4 or NexBeast FRF57 V0.1.1
- Wifi doesn't work (this may be hit or miss), and I certainly didn't have this issue with BB V0.4 and NexBeast FRF57 V0.1.1

While it's fast and relatively smooth (when I'm not using it for too much).. I think I'll give a new ROM (Succulent Desire perhaps?) a whirl before settling back with BB V0.4

Upvote 0
Is anybody else having trouble manually setting up an email account? I constantly get a "cannot connect securely" message.

Yup. It took me several tries to get my live mail account to start syncing, then when it finally did start syncing (set at every 1 hour) it drained my battery and the temp shot up to 120. I suggest using k9 mail or one of the other mail apps. Wasn't a big enough deal for me, it was just a school email, I can just check via web as needed.

Upvote 0
Anyone else try out the native USB tethering with this ROM?

Seems to be my only problem with it other that a random reboot I had the first day it was out. When I check the USB tethering box, it greys out the check box and just says "error" under the USB tethering menu item. I might still switch it out for something else soon though, no idea what. I'll definitely use Chevys bkapps/rstapps script though, it worked perfect and much easier/faster than Titanium ever has (and I have the premium version).

Upvote 0
coming from BBv4 and loving this rom - its very smooth. However, one feature I miss (or cant find) is the option to -ab from BB tools. does anyone know if you can/and how to ad block in SS v4.4?

Thank you.

Bring up terminal emulator, with SU, and type adblock
That should do it, it is one of his scripts.
Check here for a full list:
Froyo FRF91 SS v4.4 [7/9/2010] From SOURCE - All 4.3 Issues Fixed - Maps/Market, ALL! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Reactions: Ebaneezor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones