• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] iWireless Stock B18 ICS 4.0.4

Are you getting OTA notifications? Is there an update available?

I haven't gotten update notifications except when I did factory reset-- a pop-up automatically came up saying it was updating. Before I had the custom rom, I periodically checked updates from settings menu. It searched for updates & then said Updating. There were pop-ups saying Update Complete, so I assumed there were updates, but it seemed like there were a lot of them. Maybe it shows the same pop-up when somebody checks whether there's an update or not? Maybe there weren't actual updates. Is there always a notification?
:eek:
o_O

I'm such a n00b!

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten update notifications except when I did factory reset-- a pop-up automatically came up saying it was updating. Before I had the custom rom, I periodically checked updates from settings menu. It searched for updates & then said Updating. There were pop-ups saying Update Complete, so I assumed there were updates, but it seemed like there were a lot of them. Maybe it shows the same pop-up when somebody checks whether there's an update or not? Maybe there weren't actual updates. Is there always a notification?
:eek:
o_O

I'm such a n00b!

No worries. I am just trying to make sure you are talking about system updates rather than play store app updates. If you are indeed getting a system update it could be JB or a somehow updated ICS. You should not get system update notifications all the time, only when there is a system update available.

Upvote 0
No worries. I am just trying to make sure you are talking about system updates rather than play store app updates. If you are indeed getting a system update it could be JB or a somehow updated ICS. You should not get system update notifications all the time, only when there is a system update available.
LOL- I do at least know app updates from system updates, but thanks for checking :)
JB would be great, but I'm still on 4.0.4. I haven't gotten system update notifications since factory reset prior to flashing your rom. Is PRL considered to be a system update? There's so much to learn about phones! :d

Glad there's no need to reset & all that goes with it! Thanks for offering to update the rom!

Upvote 0
LOL- I do at least know app updates from system updates :)
JB would be great, but I'm still on 4.0.4. I haven't gotten system update notifications since factory reset prior to flashing your rom. Is PRL considered to be a system update? There's so much to learn about phones! :d

Glad there's no need to reset & all that goes with it! Thanks for offering to update the rom!

PRL is a system update, but not the kind I am referring to. PRL is for your radio, so you can connect to new towers that have been added since the last PRL. It is not part of the rom.

Upvote 0
PRL is a system update, but not the kind I am referring to. PRL is for your radio, so you can connect to new towers that have been added since the last PRL. It is not part of the rom.
So it's OK to update PRL with custom roms, just not "Sprint Flash Software" or "Profile Software"?

iWireless is on Sprint network & Sprint is still setting up 4G in my area. It sounds like PRL update is a good idea

Upvote 0
So it's OK to update PRL with custom roms, just not "Sprint Flash Software" or "Profile Software"?

iWireless is on Sprint network & Sprint is still setting up 4G in my area. It sounds like PRL update is a good idea

PRL should not hurt anything. None of the updates should hurt anything, but the Sprint Flash Software updates will probably not work unless you are on full stock rom. Feel free to see if it has an update available. If it downloads a Sprint Flash Update, before you reboot to complete the update look in your /cache partition using a root file explorer. The update should be hanging out in there. It will be a zip file with a long name. If you copy that to your sdcard please post it so i can have a look :)

edit: just noticed you asked about profile updates. Those should not hurt anything either, but are totally unnecessary unless you are having trouble sending mms messages.

Reactions: aimzzz
Upvote 0
There was a PRL update, but no Sprint Flash Software update. If/when it happens I'll let you know. Thanks for all the info :)

No problem. My guess is that you got the update before you sent me your backup to make the rom. If that is the case, the rom includes the update and there would not be one available.

Reactions: aimzzz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones