• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Preludedrew's ICS-March 28-Alpha1

Anybody ran the builds done by Jared? How do they stack up to drew's work?

MizzouBrent, I've flashed the stuff by Jared. His Beta 2 was very smooth with no issues for me. I probably would have run it for a couple of days but I knew I was going away and would want something I knew worked. (MikG3.0)

I'm flashing his Beta 3 tonight and hope I get a few minutes to check it out. I passed over the Beta 2.5 build completely.

I haven't run Drews stuff yet. I was focused on Decks and Jared's. I know Jared has been doing alot of work on his ICS and Sense 3.5 roms lately though. Lots of updates. I think Deck is still waiting for a Kernel?

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0
I flashed Jared's beta 3.5 yesterday and so far I'm liking it. I am waiting for his HW accel update then I may switch to his completely. BTW if you want to switch to Jared's you don't have to wipe data just do cache and dalvik. This worked for me but remember your results may very which is why I direct you to my sig lol

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Read This\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ or just do a Nandroid

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0
Yeah still waiting for a kernel apparently. Just curious. I have not tried Jared at all and haven't tried drew since like the second or third build. Deck alpha 4 was good though. Just wondering if the newer releases are any better.

There is the Anthrax ICS kernel. I've been using it with each ICS ROM. If ya need it, just pm me. Jared's ICS was really nice, but I had more FC's and random reboots. Almost three times as much as Drew's. Drew's just ran smoother for me.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
This is what drew wrote over on xda last night.

"Please stop derailing development threads, it really is getting out of hand. Instead of letting moderators step in, how about policing ourselves? If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything. If you take ownership to the matter, then settle it in private channels. This is only hindering people learning the inner workings of android and roms.

If one person creates rom A, built from source (obviously referring to aosp roms). Chances are rom A is using work done by other individuals in the community to achieve a certain goal. This is called an Open Source Community. So rom B comes in and uses A as a base. This is great, because I've found that when this occurs, bugs get squashed much quicker. No matter the skills of the user/developer, they have the ability to find some of the smallest issues that cause the biggest bugs. Even if rom B only has little things like the wifi scan interval changed, or added/subtracted APK's. The only thing necessary here, is a little bit of credit and submitting/notifying the original author of bug fixes and/or enhancements. When this occurs, there is no "he did this" "he got this working first" bull. I could go on forever on proper etiquette, but that's not my point. Let's let everyone do their thing, and if there is a real issue that needs to be addressed, handle it in a classy manner.

Thanks for your time, and i apologize in advance to moderators if this thread gets out of hand, feel free to remove it."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1483209

Upvote 0
To make JTG's version of hardware acceleration in b4.0 to work, he edited two files and included the Chainfire driver.

We can do what he did in Drew's version!

The two text edit tweaks he did that I found are as follows and work with Drew's p7 (maybe other versions too). I made these changes on p7 and noticed a big difference. Have a nandroid handy!

Go to /system/build.prop

Find "ro.config.disable_hw_accel=true" which right under "#ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES". switch "true" to "false"

The next tweak is in /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg

make the text look like

1 1 android
0 1 adreno200

Reboot to let the changes take effect

Next you can install the chainfire driver using the Chainfire 3D app. (I didn't but you can)

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
To make JTG's version of hardware acceleration in b4.0 to work, he edited two files and included the Chainfire driver.

Hey Bobarune - I'm interested to hear how stability is after making these tweaks. I came back to p7 after toying with JTG's latest because it kept rebooting on me, and crashing apps. P7 has been rock solid, without a single reboot, so I'm interested whether this is the cause, or if there's something else mucked up in JTG's build.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: bluezr1
Upvote 0

The two text edit tweaks he did that I found are as follows and work with Drew's p7 (maybe other versions too). I made these changes on p7 and noticed a big difference. Have a nandroid handy!

Go to /system/build.prop

Find "ro.config.disable_hw_accel=true" which right under "#ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES". switch "true" to "false"

The next tweak is in /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg

make the text look like

1 1 android
0 1 adreno200

Reboot to let the changes take effect

Next you can install the chainfire driver using the Chainfire 3D app. (I didn't but you can)

Hope this helps!

What does this do exactly? I love me some Ice Cream Sandwich and always want to make it better. How can I do this? And what is Chainfire?

Upvote 0
There was some debate as to whether or not Jared truly had enabled hardware acceleration. The guys on Drew's team basically said that he did NOT have hw accel running. I ran his 4.0 beta and Drew's latest preview, and I thought Drew's was better, regardless of what allegedly is enabled.

I couldn't get navigation to work with Jared...with Drew's build it worked fine.

Upvote 0
Okay, I've been lurking, and I must say, I'm very happy to see how things have gone, I've even signed up for Twitter and am following the suggested people. After being on XDA for years, I've looked elsewhere for roms as I simply can't take the drama and hatred that people pile on to the users, I've NOT seen that highschool crap here, thankfully.

I tried the ICS build by mazwoz over on xda yesterday, it was a tad too buggy. I couldn't get the downloads to work for this one, however, this morning it was successful, so I'm going to give it a go, I'm currently on MikG3.0, and am very pleased with it, and of course have done a NAND to preserve it. Hoping that I don't have to restore it tho and that I can do this as a daily driver. Since you've reported that navigation is working I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do so and then update as new releases are put out there.

Thank you for posting this and updating it as well.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones