• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Wish List -- Recommendations?

I'm actually a big fan of launcher pro -- been using that for a while, just decided to stick with ADW in Cyanogen to give the ROM a try the way it was designed for a bit before going back to LPP. I'm finding there are some things that LPP does better than ADW and vice-versa. I love the scrollable dock in LPP. ADW's hidden dock does the same thing, I suppose, but not near as well, IMO. The screen transitions in ADW EX are uber cool, tho...
How is adw ex? Are those transitions anything like the transitions in MIUI?

How so, when they indeed were different? As noted by numerous others inquiring about the change from 3G to 1x in the icon, and most replies state "AOSP gives your true signal strength vs sense that always show 3G", I flat out had poor to no connectivity on AOSP where granted the signal was very weak, but on a sense ROM I was able to maintain a connection with at least 1 bar more than AOSP showed in the exact same location. That was about as "real world" of a test you can get. ;)

We may have to just agree to disagree lol

Well, this has been discussed extensively. AOSP will show your 3g signal. Sense will show a 3g icon and will flash arrows if transmitting. The bars in sense roms are for the cell/text (2g) signal.

Upvote 0
Well, this has been discussed extensively. AOSP will show your 3g signal. Sense will show a 3g icon and will flash arrows if transmitting. The bars in sense roms are for the cell/text (2g) signal.

I don't disagree that AOSP shows a more accurate signal, but using AOSP vs Sense, I lost all connectivity on a weak signal vs having just enough to send/receive texts and connect to data on Sense in the exact same spot. I rebooted several times, cleared dalvik/cache just to see if itd make a difference, and even tried forced roaming with roam control. No success. I then restored back to Myns and got the roaming triangle with 1-2 bars, and my text/data access came back. Im still thinking of going back to AOSP as a daily driver since 99% of the time weak signal areas arent an issue for me.

Upvote 0
It could always be something else, but ive read of others on the interwebz who've complained of weaker signal on AOSP also, especially wifi. Maybe it has more to do with the ability to transmit over a weaker signal than the actual signal reception itself. No telling these days - like kernels working differently on 2 exact same HW and SW model phones, it just didn't work correctly on mine :( Hell, I've never been able to get weatherbug to obtain a location on AOSP while others have no issue.

If you can find a location where your connection on AOSP is very weak, and often drops, switch over to a sense ROM in that same spot and test the results. Not talking intermittent signal from full to 0, I mean an actual weak coverage area.

Upvote 0
the only way that youd get signal discrepancies between the 2 is if you changed the prl to one that doesnt work in your area as well b4 flashing your aosp rom. Its FAR more likely that since you were out in the booneys your radio coverage changed enough to make a difference in the 5 min you spend reflashing. Atmospheric changes as the day progresses would have an effect, but youd likely first convince me that youre a unicorn b4 the aosp signal strength weakness thing... only thing that comes to mind is the governor setting perhaps undervolting the radios... just doesnt seem likely...

Upvote 0
but youd likely first convince me that youre a unicorn b4 the aosp signal strength weakness thing...

LOL you're also convinced that nationwide, more people use AOSP vs Sense-based ROMS (i think i read that in one of your posts before, forgive me if i'm incorrect).

Years ago, everyone was convinced, according to "experts", that the world was flat. Just sayin'...

I haven't altered PRL's in forever, never figured i needed to. And stating that atmospheric pressure must've changed at the exact 10 min that i swapped ROM's is well, as believable as your unicorn statement. Maybe my Evo changed the atmospheric pressure, didn't see that in the changelog though ;) For MY phone, running King's GB "Brutal" release, signal was indeed worse. I don't need scientific data, db ratings, etc, to explain "no worky with this, worky with that" in a real world situation. You don't have to believe me or agree with me, but at least it'll be documented on here when others search for the same problem.

In regards to signal strength - it could be a radio version fix (but if Sense gets a good signal, shouldn't AOSP on the same radio?) - but here's some food for thought as others have had issues with wifi and reception too...

[Q] WiFi sucks on CM7 - xda-developers
Wifi signal strength lower with CM7 - CyanogenMod Forum

Upvote 0
I used the instructions on this page to get CM7 up and running, it was pretty easy. Don't forget the gapps package.
What was the file you downloaded called? The one I grabbed was called "Update...CM7version.zip" That the one you were referencing?

Also, to anyone looking to try out different launchers, I've installed a bunch today, (ADW, LP, GO, 7 Launcher) and well, they are pretty crazy. 7 launcher is like the new windows 7 phones, not really my thing, but it's cool the levels of customization android offers. ADW and LP everyone knows about, but GO launcher ex was pretty interesting. A lot like LP and ADW, but had some pretty cool animation options. Also, you can't drag apps to create shortcuts, you have to do it though the widget interface (long press home screen).

The only thing is I'm not sure which one I like best, and if all the devs are trustworthy with those permissions (I'm a bit paranoid lol).

---

And the debate with aosp vs. sense signal wise, I think the kernel thing makes more sense than having one be 'better' than the other. Might want to look into that...

Upvote 0
LOL you're also convinced that nationwide, more people use AOSP vs Sense-based ROMS (i think i read that in one of your posts before, forgive me if i'm incorrect).

Years ago, everyone was convinced, according to "experts", that the world was flat. Just sayin'...

I haven't altered PRL's in forever, never figured i needed to. And stating that atmospheric pressure must've changed at the exact 10 min that i swapped ROM's is well, as believable as your unicorn statement. Maybe my Evo changed the atmospheric pressure, didn't see that in the changelog though For MY phone, running King's GB "Brutal" release, signal was indeed worse. I don't need scientific data, db ratings, etc, to explain "no worky with this, worky with that" in a real world situation. You don't have to believe me or agree with me, but at least it'll be documented on here when others search for the same problem.

In regards to signal strength - it could be a radio version fix (but if Sense gets a good signal, shouldn't AOSP on the same radio?) - but here's some food for thought as others have had issues with wifi and reception too...

[Q] WiFi sucks on CM7 - xda-developers
Wifi signal strength lower with CM7 - CyanogenMod Forum

Okay, here's my last input for the night...

I just flashed CM7. In my room I couldn't connect long enough to link my gmail account. I had been using myn's 2.2 as a hotspot just moments before for hours. Then I flashed back to myn's and lo and behold connection was back. So I restored CM7 backup that I just had made. Now, it's still restoring, but my thought is the 'internation data roam' option. I'm guessing that it doesn't understand, or process the roaming correctly if this isn't checked.
Well, it's atleast connecting to the google server now, but my password is wrong lol. That's what I get for changing to to a secure one.... Damnit!

I guess try enabling internation roaming and see if that error persists.

Reactions: takirb
Upvote 0
I guess try enabling internation roaming and see if that error persists.

Possible. Also, it could very well be kernel related, if that's possible too. I use a netarchy SBC kernel on Myn's, but on the AOSP i was using a Tiamat SBC. I'm still planning to go back to the other ROM, just haven't yet. Not sure if i feel like starting from scratch and reconfiguring or restoring from my backup. I kinda jacked up the cameras when I installed the MIUI camera, didn't realize MIUI camera I had didn't have FFC capabilities. When i go back to the other ROM, i'll try to research a lil more if i run into a spot that puts me in the situation for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones