• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rom with the best battery life??

I haven't been changing Roms around like I used to before so I was wondering if you all can give your opinion on which rom you think has the best battery life..thanks
In my opinion, it is not a simple answer. I have been using Fresh 2.3.3, and have very good battery life...better than any other set up I have used to date. Others have said otherwise. The difference, I believe, is that I am using an OC kernel and OC widget set to lower the cpu speed while the phone sleeps, and raise it while the phone is awake. I believe this is the key to my better battery life. However, if I was a heavy user, I would expexct worse battery life with this setup, as it speeds up the cpu while the phone is in use vs the stock kernels...but eliminates virtually 100% of any lag.

So, to answer your question directly, I don't think there is a single rom that can be pointed to as a battery saver, rather the complete setup. Froyo roms (CyanogenMod-6 - RC1 ) seem to have reports of good battery life, perhaps because they don't use Sense UI, and the above items have been pre-set in the rom.

Upvote 0
I've never gotten terrific batter life with the Froyo builds, I can't put my finger on it (maybe I play with the phone too much throughout the day). I'd say its decent at best, Fresh ROMs that I've used gave me similar battery life if not better. I use to be so obsessed about the battery life but I think I'm just going to not worry about. Even with the uncapped kernal and battery tweak, its just average (9-10 hrs) moderate to heavy usage... I'll just live with that.

Upvote 0
RC1 or a nightly along with an uncapped kernel, I get 12-15 hours of battery with heavy usage. Try with collins battery tweak and some have gotten 48 hours of battery life

What kind of settings do you use, and how do you define "heavy usage?" Because like toomuchgame, I get terrible battery life and I am running the battery tweak without the uncapped Kernel. I consider myself a moderate user, so I don't know what the deal is, and I know I don't have any apps eating up the memory.

Upvote 0
What kind of settings do you use, and how do you define "heavy usage?" Because like toomuchgame, I get terrible battery life and I am running the battery tweak without the uncapped Kernel. I consider myself a moderate user, so I don't know what the deal is, and I know I don't have any apps eating up the memory.

Here's how I have my phone set up

After I flash a new rom I reset the battery stats (not after a nightly though, last reset maybe 2 weeks ago)
Unplug phone at 7 am and I plug back in usually at 6 pm, battery is at 30-50%

825 with the uncapped kernel #7
Overclock widget: 768/556
Jit enabled
I have 27 apps installed

5 widgets running: overclock widget (refreshes constantly), mobile buzz widget (refresh 30 min), stock calender widget (refreshes constantly), weatherbug widget with weatherbug locator (refreshes constantly with the locator) Google search widget (don't think it uses much battery) facebook widget (refresh 30 min)

Phone calls: I'm on the phone 20-30 min during the day
Texts: 40-60 texts
Gmail: usually receive 20-30 emails, respond to about 10-15
Data/web browsing: 30-40 min total all day, sometimes 5 min at a time
App usage: cachecleaner twice a day usually clears 3-5 mb each time, Xda app; browse 20 min a day, Android market: browse for updates and look at new apps 5-10 a day, my 5 year daughter usually plays a couple games for 10-20 min, browse through my facebook twice a day

Running services in applications: overclock widget, android core apps, lookout, Titanium Backup, calender storage, google services framework, google voice, swiftkey beta

I don't know if this is considered heavy usage, but it seems like I'm always doing something with my phone:)

Upvote 0
While I've mainly heard people swear by Fresh 2.3.3, I'd say Darchdroid. Anything that comes overclocked is also underclocked as the cpu also scales lower than stock, stock cpu only runs between 480-528mhz when the screen is on whereas overclocked roms/kernels run anywhere from 250ish-710ish mhz screen on. Sense is known to be a battery hog but i'm currently running ZenEXP with no issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones