• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][YACR] CM 7.1-Reppard

i am pretty sure the kernel is the same source that we have all been building from. If you would like to try and keep it you can do nand backup, unpack the boot.img with a kitchen, pull the zimage out. Unpack the boot.img of whatever rom you want to use. Replace the zImage(the kernel) and repack it.

THANK YOU! I have been looking for an easy way to accomplish this. Will be doing this sometime in the week.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU! I have been looking for an easy way to accomplish this. Will be doing this sometime in the week.
And failing over, and over. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, was hoping you could give me some help, reppard.

Here's what I did in steps...

-Put stock 2.2.2v7 into rom folder and made working/boot-extracted folders.
-Unpacked boot.img from nandroid backup of your ROM
-Unpacked boot.img from stock ROM
-Removed zImage from nandroid boot.img
-Replaced with zImage from stock boot.img
-Repacked into boot.img
-Put boot.img back into "nandroid" folder on SD card
-Attempt to recover from nandroid backup

After about 4 seconds, it errors. It tells me to check the nandroid logs, but I cannot find them. I don't know what I'm doing incorrectly.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
And failing over, and over. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, was hoping you could give me some help, reppard.

Here's what I did in steps...

-Put stock 2.2.2v7 into rom folder and made working/boot-extracted folders.
-Unpacked boot.img from nandroid backup of your ROM
-Unpacked boot.img from stock ROM
-Removed zImage from nandroid boot.img
-Replaced with zImage from stock boot.img
-Repacked into boot.img
-Put boot.img back into "nandroid" folder on SD card
-Attempt to recover from nandroid backup

After about 4 seconds, it errors. It tells me to check the nandroid logs, but I cannot find them. I don't know what I'm doing incorrectly.

Many thanks.

Why are you booting from nandroid? Can't you just pull everything and put into a .zip and flash? As in copy rom folders, overwrite with new files, flash....

Upvote 0
i am pretty sure the kernel is the same source that we have all been building from. If you would like to try and keep it you can do nand backup, unpack the boot.img with a kitchen, pull the zimage out. Unpack the boot.img of whatever rom you want to use. Replace the zImage(the kernel) and repack it.

That's why. I assumed he meant take nandroid backup kernel out and replace it with stock, then nandroid restore.

I wasn't really wanting to cook my own ROM in the kitchen, just modify reppards for myself.

If I have to go full out and cook my own ROM, I guess ill give it a shot. But it will probably take me forever.

Upvote 0
That's why. I assumed he meant take nandroid backup kernel out and replace it with stock, then nandroid restore.

I wasn't really wanting to cook my own ROM in the kitchen, just modify reppards for myself.

If I have to go full out and cook my own ROM, I guess ill give it a shot. But it will probably take me forever.

you can also take reppards AnyROM kernel, and remove the zImage from it and replace it with the zImage from the stock 2.2.2 rom and then just flash the kernel by itself through recovery

Upvote 0

if someone can get a boot image of the new update.. i can pull the kernel and pack it up.. anyone wants to upload their boot.img from a 2.2.2 backup, may even pull a config from it and make it overclockable..

Upvote 0
if someone can get a boot image of the new update.. i can pull the kernel and pack it up.. anyone wants to upload their boot.img from a 2.2.2 backup, may even pull a config from it and make it overclockable..

Give me a second to upload it to dropbox and make it accessable. Will edit in minutes with link.

Here is stock v7 2.2.2 boot.img. I really don't care if its OC'd for now. Just want it in CM7 for stability. (A lot of us do, honestly.)

http://db.tt/BR8YZgSo

Upvote 0
I'll get on it first thing in the morn. gotta get to bed

I can't make it happen and alot of us wannabe devs are wanting this to happen. Willing to cook a new ROM but can't guarantee development or progress. Just want it for my own personal gains. (Plus recompiling and dev experience as well as a guide to accomplish this experiment

Upvote 0
Ok here ya go.. ill make a new topic for it when i ahve a few minutes later.. getting ready for wedding rehearsal dinners and shit.. but heres the flashable kernel, make sure you amkke a backup as i have not tested this, wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache, turn off sig verification and flash

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42841380/OptM-2.2.2-Kernel.zip

Many thanks tripdoc, but it flashes as reppards r.O.C.K. v3 kernel. It supported my OC settings, broke my wireless, and still force closes ADW on startup and freezes and reboots like reppards kernel does.

I don't think this was the stock v7 2.2.2 kernel.

Upvote 0
Let me be clear on my boot.img that I gave you.

-It came from Kelso's ROM (It is stock. I'm running it flawlessly right now.)
-It does NOT overclock
-I may have given you the wrong one

And I aplogize about that last one. I am not 100% sure I gave you the correct one. I had like 300 boot.img's on my desktop, and had been messing around with them in the kitchen. If you would like, I can for sure upload Kelso's (Or 100% stock if you prefer. Kelso's is enough like stock to even be the exact same size.) again to be sure we are doing this properly.

But, I'm definitely going to test this out. Completely wipe ext, SD, and cache/dalvik and flash this baby within the hour.

Upvote 0
You'll have it very shortly. Unless someone has already done this and can upload it faster.

Gotta hook up to LGNPST and put it on, root, install recovery, and nand.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion trip. Really. I got to thinking about it last night and really am unsure if I gave you the correct boot.img. I had/have stock. Somewhere lol.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm in the process of updating to ZV7 2.2.2. Will take about an hour. (and its really hard to type this out when its blocking half of my 10" screen lol.)

Updated, rooted, GNM recovery, and in the process of nandroiding. When done, will upload boot.img to dropbox and provide link.

Here's the stock boot.img from MS690VZ7.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52903366/stock%20bootimg/boot.img

Upvote 0
this may or may not work.. the rom is written to include a2sd and auto installs it, however the kernel does not support it, so a2sd isnt going to work.. so something may fail when flashing this.. unfortunately, the android kitchen does not have the option to remove a2sd support.. it can add it.. but not remove it.. so if this doesnt work.. ill have to manually edit some things to try to get it to work.. either way let me know... im uploading 2 files.. one is a flashable kernel zip.. the other is the complete rom repacked with the 2.2.2 kernel.. start with the flashable kernel.. let me know if that works.. if it doesnt try the complete rom flash..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42841380/OptM-2.2.2-Kernel-repack2.zip

uploading now.. be done in a few minutes...
as always.. make a backup... for kernel wipe cache and dalvik cache, turn off sig verify and flash.. and for the rom.. flash like any other..

Upvote 0
Kernel flashed and booted just fine. Still detected as r.O.C.K. kernel, but build is 2.6.32.9 lge@android-build #2, so it is the correct kernel.

Ok, the CM7.1 2.2.2 kernel repack gets as far as the "MetroPCS" screen and hangs. I dont like seeing the MetroPCS screen, but if it works, I guess its tolerable. Beggars can't be choosers. Ten minutes into it, still sitting at the MPCS screen. Battery yank, reboot, MPCS screen hang. Doesn't even do the "Hello, hello, hello". :(

Looks like the flashable kernel works, though. Just make sure you flash it after flashing Reppards ROM.

Edit:
Just reflashed reppards ROM, booted, flashed gapps, booted, flashed new kernel, booted. Works like a champ. SetCPU is saying I cannot OC, so thats legit. Will play around with it for a few days and see if I can make it freeze/reboot.

Many thanks tripdoc! Enjoy the wedding!

Second edit:
Playing around with the flashed kernel and am finding that it breaks WiFi. Wont turn on. Say's "Error". Being that we're on MetroPCS, this about makes the phone useless lol.

Upvote 0
Tried it with BobZ's CM ROM. Same thing. As soon as I flash the kernel, wireless stops working. I'm begining to think this just isn't possible, or will take kernel modifying. And that just might break the stability of the kernel. :(

you have to use the wifi modules that were built at the time the kernel was built or wifi will not function. i believe in my anyrom zip you can see an example of how it is layed out. there is a file called wireless.ko. that is module.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones