• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][MetroPCS & T-Mobile] Katana ROM *Updated 11-16-2015*

@CYCONUMNUM

If you have the update notification showing on your lock screen.....

Or showing in your desktop pull-down notifications..... press and hold, wait for it to turn into app button..

Click on the info button... it will go to another screen...

Then check "none" (show no notifications from this app)...

You'll never see it again [emoji6]

Upvote 0
katana.gif

list.png

LG G Stylo MS631 & H631 Katana ROM
2867223_orig.jpg

Katana ROM Features:
  • Deodexed - zipaligned - busybox - rooted
  • Barebones debloated (Get Gapps from play store & LG bloat apps from my deodexed bloat zips)
  • Replaced part of settings LG skin with stock android
  • Settings font changed from black to dark grey and sharpened.
  • Replaced most of LG teal blue with Katana blue
  • Removed carrier text from lockscreen & notification dropdown
  • QuickSettings flashlight mod - pic
  • Recovery & SuperSU menu shortcut mod - pic
  • Stock android battery with percentage
  • Cyanogenmod AudioFX or Dolby Atmos EQs
  • SD fix
  • Manual camera mod
  • Screen density (304)
  • Support for all apps in split window
  • Disabled headset loud volume warning
  • TCP tweak
  • Katana boot animation
  • Xposed framework
  • Icons used: Polycon & Candycons
  • Weather widget used: Chronus

Katana Kernel Features:
  • Built from source code with linaro optimized toolchain
  • GPU overclocked to 450 mhz (for improved gaming performance)
  • CPU undervolt on lower frequencies (for saving battery when idle or screen off)
  • Added HyperX governor and set to default (very fast)
  • Added Conservative governor (for battery saving)
  • Added SIO and FIOPS schedulers
  • Lowered transition latency for Ondemand governor from 10mil to 9mil (for smoothness)
  • Running kernel mode NEON
  • -O2 optimized (might go -O3 on next update)
  • New logger interface "/sys/kernel/logger_mode" (0 = disable & 1 = enabled) 0 is default. Ask on forum how to use.
  • cflags optimizations (-mtune=cortex-a53 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -fgraphite -mfloat-abi=hard) and many more.
  • Noatime for reduced overhead
  • SE linux permissive
  • Disabled LG Root Check Tool
  • init.d support (for running custom scripts)
  • Insecured (root shell)
  • Read Over Write(row) sheduling as default (for ui smoothness)

Download, Instructions, Screenshots:
http://androidcreations.weebly.com/stylo-katana-rom.html

Change log in post #2

Like my work? Click the like button. Thanks :)
Could Katana Rom be ported or made to work on Lg Leon by using text editor? If so may i have your permission to do so?

Upvote 0
katana.gif

list.png

LG G Stylo MS631 & H631 Katana ROM
2867223_orig.jpg

Katana ROM Features:
  • Deodexed - zipaligned - busybox - rooted
  • Barebones debloated (Get Gapps from play store & LG bloat apps from my deodexed bloat zips)
  • Replaced part of settings LG skin with stock android
  • Settings font changed from black to dark grey and sharpened.
  • Replaced most of LG teal blue with Katana blue
  • Removed carrier text from lockscreen & notification dropdown
  • QuickSettings flashlight mod - pic
  • Recovery & SuperSU menu shortcut mod - pic
  • Stock android battery with percentage
  • Cyanogenmod AudioFX or Dolby Atmos EQs
  • SD fix
  • Manual camera mod
  • Screen density (304)
  • Support for all apps in split window
  • Disabled headset loud volume warning
  • TCP tweak
  • Katana boot animation
  • Xposed framework
  • Icons used: Polycon & Candycons
  • Weather widget used: Chronus

Katana Kernel Features:
  • Built from source code with linaro optimized toolchain
  • GPU overclocked to 450 mhz (for improved gaming performance)
  • CPU undervolt on lower frequencies (for saving battery when idle or screen off)
  • Added HyperX governor and set to default (very fast)
  • Added Conservative governor (for battery saving)
  • Added SIO and FIOPS schedulers
  • Lowered transition latency for Ondemand governor from 10mil to 9mil (for smoothness)
  • Running kernel mode NEON
  • -O2 optimized (might go -O3 on next update)
  • New logger interface "/sys/kernel/logger_mode" (0 = disable & 1 = enabled) 0 is default. Ask on forum how to use.
  • cflags optimizations (-mtune=cortex-a53 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -fgraphite -mfloat-abi=hard) and many more.
  • Noatime for reduced overhead
  • SE linux permissive
  • Disabled LG Root Check Tool
  • init.d support (for running custom scripts)
  • Insecured (root shell)
  • Read Over Write(row) sheduling as default (for ui smoothness)

Download, Instructions, Screenshots:
http://androidcreations.weebly.com/stylo-katana-rom.html

Change log in post #2

Like my work? Click the like button. Thanks :)
May i port katana rom to my lg leon? Please.

Upvote 0
Anybody knows if this is safe to flash on Marshmallow? Will I have to go back to stock 5.1.1 to do this?
This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm on stock mm metro with root and twrp. unlocked bootloader. can I flash back n forth between my backup and this rom? Will it mess up my phone trying to do so since katana is lp and I'm on MM? Any help in answering this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm on stock mm metro with root and twrp. unlocked bootloader. can I flash back n forth between my backup and this rom? Will it mess up my phone trying to do so since katana is lp and I'm on MM? Any help in answering this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Already did it. Nothing adverse happened, here. Just follow the directions GameTheory gave, and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Only Rom that got my phone all wonky was cm...got the half black screen thing...
Other than that...2days ago i flashed to the "skinny" t-mo Rom..only to find out its not that skinny...but, has a purdy boot ani...
Then saw the radio OTA..flashed to metro mm....then ......decided i was'nt into possibly going for a loop...
And re-flashed t-mo "skinny" after i found a flashable de-bloat for t-mo in the evil forest of xda....
Then threw my usually redundant paint job at it....
Works cool..i modded the sound mod flash down to 95...99 is pure cruchy caacaa for sound values..
Yah

Reactions: Spec2nirvash
Upvote 0
I still like katana . I just can't get a metro browser to stay stable. It works for a while then I have to go back to chrome which I don't care for. It just gets slower and slower till it freezes up. Then i just wipe the cash again. I've tried all I can think of. Any body got any ideas.
Is katana better in overall performance than MM? Im thinking of trying katana but to trade it for 6.0.1 permissions plus video calling and multi-window support, is it worth it? Any feedback would help thanks.

Upvote 0
Is katana better in overall performance than MM? Im thinking of trying katana but to trade it for 6.0.1 permissions plus video calling and multi-window support, is it worth it? Any feedback would help thanks.
You will lose the permissions (you'll probably find a way around that) and video calling, but multi-window support has been on the Stylo before MM. Plus, with Katana, multi-window works on ALL apps. [emoji2]

I did the same thing switching from MM to Katana. The performance is a lot better in comparison. Too bad GameTheory hasn't been around for a while, we could've had this upgraded to MM.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhgfrtu
Upvote 0
On my LGM631 this ROM just boots to TWRP. Follow directions to the tee. Factory reset, install kernel, than partitions. Tried various other ways too, no matter what it boots to twrp and fails. MM 5.1.1 10j here.
If you can't get Katana to boot properly, you should learn how to flash the stock ROM for Lollipop on the LG G Stylo and try again, making sure to get TWRP reinstalled.

Upvote 0
If you can't get Katana to boot properly, you should learn how to flash the stock ROM for Lollipop on the LG G Stylo and try again, making sure to get TWRP reinstalled.
Sorry not MM I meant Lollipop 5.1.1. That's what I did, from Stock 10j. Isn't my first rodeo. Only my 45th phone. This phone has only ever been on stock 10i and 10j

Screenshot_2016-11-06-09-55-59[1].png

If that is also the case, it should be written in the directions for others having issues with it as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still the same issue guys.

1. Downloaded TWRP 2.8.7.0-10j
  2. Install TWRP with flashify (to be sure it was right version)
  3. Install bootstack
  4. install return2stock
  5. Wipe dalvik/cache
  6. Reboot
  7. Root
  8. Install TWRP again
  9. Format Data
  10. Type yes
  11. Install Katana ROM
  12. Install LGMS631 Partition
  13. Reboot
  14. Loads for about a minute with LG logo
  15. Reboots
  16. Loads for a second with LG logo
  17. Boots into TWRP
  18. Gets frustrated and tries a different approach
  19. Install bootstack
  20. Install return2stock
  21. Wipe dalvik/cache
  22. Format Data
  23. Yes again
  24. Install Katana ROM
  25. Install LGMS631 Partition
  26. Reboot
  27. The reboot to TWRP continues...
I guess I am stuck with the stock ROM. Wish there was more done with the Stylo, it's a good phone IMO.

If it's any diff, my phone was manufactured in 2016 after this ROM.

Reason I wanted this ROM is to try and stop MetroPCS from medelling. They are able to trun off both PDANet and Hotspot at any point. I pretty much can't do anything without issues. Even using a VPN will disconnect at random points, followed by the hotspot/pdanet. After a phonecall complaining about 1.5GB of hotspot data used before I even had my phone on when my cycle renued they changed my net to ALWAYS display a Android user-agent, overriding any custom string or default I use on my computers or phone, effectively breaking a good portion of the net for me. This I know I probably can't fix with a new ROM but was hoping the MetroPCS triggers that turn off the hotspot and such would be gone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones