• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root for 3.2

Actually, I found a rather easy way to root from 3.2 over on the XDA forum.

xda-developers - View Single Post - How to root stock 3.2

This link is to the part with his Version 3 files, but it is not the beginning of the whole thread detailing the process' evolution.

The instructions are a little bit confusing. He has issued a Version 2 and Version 3 (which I used) of this method, and it is VERY close to a "1-click root" process. Inside the zip file for V3 there are PDF and DOC copies of instructions, but actually they are only what he CHANGED from version 2 to version 3. So for example the V3 docs don't tell you to install the PC USB driver (which is included in the zip) before you start. I like newb-oriented instructions as I would much rather have to read something I already know than to miss something I did not think of when it was needed. So what I did was also download Version 2 zip file. In that is a document called "Steps", which were the more complete version 2 instructions. Not much was actually changed in the V3 instructions, but Version 3 streamlined and made the process into less steps to do. By reading both instruction docs, I was able to piece together all the complete steps needed for V3.

There are lots of files in subfolders of those zip files in both versions, including copies of ADB and several scripts. That led me to thinking I would be manually running ADB. But in actuality, those are all for his central script to use, and they run automatically. No loading ADB, etc. You just get the tablet connected with the USB driver, obtain its serial number with a small utility included, then run the main script file from your PC and follow its instructions. When it is done, you have a fresh copy of rooted 3.2 (it does wipe everything back to "from the factory" state).

He also includes instructions on how to get and install ClockworkMod Recovery.

Note that it has been mentioned this rooting process seems to work better from Win7 than from a WinXP PC.

Only a one-click process could be easier. Compared to other methods I have read which have like 20 steps, I was expecting to need to do a LOT more, so the instructions just didn't seem sufficient at first. But it worked great for me, once I figured out it was pretty much all automatic. :)

Upvote 0
So apparently these files to download are no longer working, does anyone know where to download v2 and 3 now? Thanks!

As you may know, several file repositories are being taken down by our lovely government. Apparently Multiupload is now one of them.

In the effort to find help for you, I discovered TimmyDean has issued a new version 4, which hopefully will eliminate the reason I had to read the instructions from both versions 2 and 3. Here is a link to version 4's thread. The first listing for downloading version 4 is still shown as the seemingly defunct Multiupload, BUT..... he has alternate mirror sites listed at the bottom of the first post in this thread. I tried the first one and it does appear to be working. Good luck.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
My tablet arrived today and, having rooted my DHD when I got it, rooting the tablet is the first thing I want to do... I just wanna get custom ROM's on there!

Have downloaded V4 and had a look at the readme... all seems straight forward tbh, but I do have one question... the zip is called root-3.2.1 (which I guess is referring to the Android version being 3.2.1) but, on checking my A500, it is showing Android 3.2 - my question is therefore will it be ok to use on my device? I'm gonna take a wild stab that it will be fine, given the title of the thread (both here and on XDA)... I have also asked over on the XDA thread.

Cheers for any comments!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones