• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root my galaxy S5?

I think that is where I am at today.

I have config.updater turn off, and also Samsung.updater turned off.
I have kept the radios turned OFF unless I actually needed the internet.

this morning, I needed to see my email, and that dreaded Rectangle with the Tornado hook on the lower right corner showed up in the Notification Bar.

Verizon has decided to FORCE me to update....
I turned off the radios immediately stopping it half way done.

I called CS and let them have a piece of my mind, CS didn't like that, so I said give me the Engineers.... they said they would call me back and conference in upper tier.

Well, that didn't happen, but I did get a Text Message from VZW, short and to the point:

There is No Way to prevent the upgrade UNLESS you root your device.

so, here I am at the Border to Bricking my phone.... I can't afford to replace it, sure wish there was someone in the Tulsa/Owasso, Oklahoma area that has "been there, Done that" and knows exactly what they are doing.

I've been a computer geek sort of for 50 years, but rooting carries the risk of loosing my phone. I can't afford that.

I will read the guide up above, but if someone has additional hints, I will appreciate the help.

I am on 4.4.4 now, and IIRC there is no way to root the S5 w/o reverting back to an earlier version of the OS?
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Upvote 0
I think your rooting options depend on which version of the S5 you have (there are a lot of them). I'm on Verizon like you, so I had the SM-G900V variant. Is that what you have?

I gave Lollipop a try, but due to terrible battery life, performance lag, and a general disdain for Material Design style, I decided to ditch it and go back to KitKat. From what I could find, the only way to root my version (and, by extension, prevent Lollipop) was to revert to 4.4.2 and use Towelroot. The guide I used was here:

http://androidforums.com/threads/verizon-downgrade-to-kitkat-dummies-guide.902737/

It has everything you need (or links to it), is very methodically laid out, and worked perfectly for me. To prevent the Lollipop update, I read in another forum somewhere (either here or on XDA...not sure) that suggested using Titanium Backup to freeze the "SDM" app. After I got my first upgrade prompt, I did that and haven't seen anything about the update since.

I'm no expert, but this was my experience. Hopefully it helps at least a little bit!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones