• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
All I wanted to do was boost my horrible volume levels on the N7 (2013). Sooo, first I download FauxSound...yeah, first...then I successfully rooted via Towelroot...and I got the SuperSU, Root Checker and Busybox...and this morning I took the plunge and downloaded TWRP...even did an Nanoid backup.

Now I'm REALLY confused. Not sure exactly what I've done this for! The FauxSound is all "This kernel is not supported..." and there is no sound increase that I can tell.

What am I doing wrong...or right, for that matter?

Thanks.

New day...fresh start. Thanks for your help so far. I need to stop, back up and make sure I've got the basics installed. While I've downloaded "TWRP Manager" among other things, how can I confirm proper version of TWRP was downloaded fN7 (2013)? When I power off, hold don on/off and sound down, initially I get booted to TWRP but when I try and select recovery mode, I get Android on his back with "No Command!" warning...but then about three minutes later, it rolls over into my standard start menu...? Any help greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Twrp manager is just an app. Have you used fastboot to install the twrp recovery.IMG?
You only rooted, you didn't install recovery. Installing the app isn't installing recovery. If you indeed have root, you can get the app flashify from the play store. It will download and install twrp recovery for you.
Once twrp is installed, make sure its there by booting into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The good news is I know I am rooted cuz Root Checker confirmed! Everything else, not so much! I will now go to app store, get flashify and get twrp recovery from there. Then, once verified, I make the backup, go to install and hopefully find kernel zip needed to make fauxsound work... Right?
That is the process. Once you have Twrp installed, boot into it and make a full backup, checking boot, data, and system. You can also check cache if you'd like. After that, go back to first page in Twrp and tap install. Pick the zip of the kernel then swipe install at the bottom. Make sure you have the right version of the kernel. If you're on KitKat, get the KitKat version. Lollipop get the lollipop one.
After the flash you should wipe cache and dalvik cache. First boot up will take a while, it will say "android is upgrading, optimizing apps 1 out of however many apps you have. Relax and wait.
If you have waited over 15 minutes and it isn't doing anything, just boot back into recovery and choose restore. Choose the backup you made and you only need to check 'boot' partition for restoring. That's the kernel. That will restore your stock kernel.

Upvote 0
Apparently we have Success! I can now blow out my eardrums if I so choose! Thanks again. I'm gonna look around for other things to "flash" and I'll keep your instructions handy. Again, thanks.
Glad to hear. That kernel has a lot of tweaking included. You might want to get trickstermod from the play store to check out your new kernel enhancements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones