• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Root/Wifi Hotspot Share: Anyone willing to help w/ 4G Tethering [HTC One M8]

Droiding123

Mar 15, 2015
I've rooted phones in the past all the way back to the old HTC windows phones through the more recent Droid QWERTYs...but don't want to go it alone anymore. I know rooting can be fun, but being honest I admit I'm focused on getting it done right as quickly as possible without all the research, reading, and trial/error etc.

Would anyone be willing to walk me through the process? Actually, all I'm looking to primarily do is share my phones 4G as a hotspot in the house, which used to be easy peasy before the latest Android 5.0.1 "update" that removed the functionality we pay for from our own property. [Wifi Tether, PdaNet, FoxFi and on and on either require root or don't work now)

I can pay $70 a month for DSL @ 20mb/sec, or I can use my cell phone's data at 32mb/sec for free... hmmmm. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from the Alltel merger years ago, and although I'm paying a LOT of money monthly and have to spend $600+ on my phones at full retail, I want to be able to use the data I pay for!

Thanks fellas!! :)

As far as I know, this is no longer possible without root (and depending on your Carrier, maybe not even then).

That's what I thought... Bummer

My carrier is Verizon. I have used the apps successfully over the years above to share 4G to my other devices in the home. If I have to take an hour and figure out how to root, I'll do it. I don't need to install crazy custom roms or anything, right... Just simply root/unlock? I used to use weaksauce.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought... Bummer

My carrier is Verizon. I have used the apps successfully over the years above to share 4G to my other devices in the home. If I have to take an hour and figure out how to root, I'll do it. I don't need to install crazy custom roms or anything, right... Just simply root/unlock? I used to use weaksauce.
Well, if you had used SunShine S-OFF prior to updating to Lollipop, you'd be able to easily root and perhaps achieve your goal. However, SunShine is not yet compatible with the Verizon M8 on Lollipop, so there's currently no way to root (until the program is updated). And SunShine is a simple download from website, install APK, and let it run and do its thing. In some cases you have to root first (as is currently the case with Lollipop), but with KitKat, all you had to do was install the program and let it do its magic.

I think you might be stuck until SunShine is updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones