• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted my buddy's Eris, small problem...

cgh

Apr 7, 2010
Florida
Well, his root went just fine... It's like the 6th or 7th one I've done. I guess he plays some games, World War, Street Racing, and iMobster (all the storm8 games) or something... Now that he has reinstalled them post-root, whenever he opens any of them, he gets the page not found error message... I tried to search for a similar problem, but didn't find much. Any ideas? It's no biggie, I just want to get it fixed for him. Thanks in advance :)

There is a known issue with certain apps not being able to connect to the internet. It's a 2.1 issue that had nothing to do with root. I think it's been mentioned that using a third party browser might help in some cases, I'm not sure though.

Oh I see... So it's not something I screwed up? :) He's freaking out... "Man, I was a level 101 and now I'm probably going to have to start over, wahhhhhh." Lol.

Upvote 0
There is a known issue with certain apps not being able to connect to the internet. It's a 2.1 issue that had nothing to do with root. I think it's been mentioned that using a third party browser might help in some cases, I'm not sure though.
third party browser will not work. at least i have not seen anyone say it worked for them yet.

one idea I had was to load a 1.5 root with titanium backup.
install known apps with this issue like astrid.
complete my login stuff, save back up with titanium
reload 2.1 from nand
install backup from titanium..
maybe it will work....

Upvote 0
Recently rooted my Eris, forgot about reinstalling the Battlenet Authenticator. Just did it and discovered that the codes it's generating no longer work for my account. Hit the WoW forums and the problem seems to be that a rooted phone = possible security compromise, so the authenticator no longer works. It'll still generate codes, but they won't be accepted when you enter them. Until (and if) Blizzard allows the authenticator to access the account on a rooted mobile device (from what I hear it's just a matter of editing a couple lines of code) we have two options: un-root our phones, or call Blizzard account management and cancel our authenticators.

:(

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Blizzard and the CS guy told me that any sort of firmware update (rooted or not) will basically cancel out the current authenticator serial number. There are two ways to fix the issue:

1) Call Blizzard and have them reset your authenticator account, then open the authenticator app on your phone, hit menu, then setup, and read the new serial number to the CS rep, who will then tie that new serial number to your account. That's what I just did and my access was instantly restored. The CS rep suggested that if I make another major change to my phone's firmware in the future, I should consider--

2) First deleting the Battlenet Authenticator app from my phone, then logging into my Battlenet account and cancelling the authenticator there. Then once I'm done upgrading/rooting my phone, all I have to do is go back to the Battlenet site, sign up for the authentication service, download the app to my Eris and I'm good to go.

Excellent customer service + simple solution = happy customer.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones