• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted, now what?

AgentBEATS

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
So I just bought my HTC Desire last week and other than a few minor skims through various articles, am completely new to the android scene, especially all this rooting business.

That being said, I still managed to root my Desire without a hitch. The problem now just being what do I do now?

My main reason for even wanting to root my Desire is just installing apps to my SD card rather than the internal memory. However my various attempts at figuring out how to do that now all end up with nothing.

I know I can install a custom rom which most provide access to A2SD+, but is there any other way to do that? What other benefits are there to running a custom rom? I've browsed through xda forums and looked through a lot of them, but a lot of the terminology is lost on me and that being said there are just so many to choose from I don't know where to start.

So I figure there are probably a ton of these "help a noobie" topics, but I've looked through guides and various other sources and still don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the first thing you should do is download and install 'rom manager' from the market. That will enable you to quickly and easily backup and switch roms. Make sure that ClockworkModRecovery is up to date within rom manager, and then back up your current rom.

The next thing, if you're interested in A2SD+ is to partition your SD card using rom manager. Give yourself a 512MB ext partition and a 0MB Cache partition (although there may be some roms that require cache this is a decent start)

Then just try out some roms for yourself. It's really easy with rom manager, and you can go back to your original any time. You can get a lot of advice, but there really is no substitute for trying stuff yourself.

Reactions: AgentBEATS
Upvote 0
Ok new problem. I went ahead and backed up my rom, then went straight to flashing on the newest LeeDrOiD. After some playing around, I want to roll back to what I previously had. But I seemed to have done the back up wrong as I rom manager tells me that it doesn't match.

How can I roll back to the stock rom? I don't mind losing all my settings, but I would like to go back to the default one.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You didnt like the latest LeeDroid ROM? Strange...

Once you format the SD card as above any app you install will be place on the SD cards. Remember though.. if you backed up all your apps and then restored them from the backup you made they will go to the original location aka internal memory.

Make a note of all the apps you have.. flash a rom with a2sd+ (like LeeDroid) and make sure you do a full wipe. Then go ahead and reinstall all the apps from scratch. They will then install onto your sdcard.

Then you can use titanium backup to back them up. Reflash a new rom with a2sd+ (if you dont like the one you curently are on) and restore them with titanium backup. this will then place them back onto the sd card as they were (i think). <--- im almost sure this last part. i just haven't actually done it since i flashed the lastest leedroid and i love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones