• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted, removed some bloatware, now what?

justind91

Mar 2, 2015
I just rooted my bionic. First time I've had root so I'm a complete noob. What should be next on my list to do? If possible I would like to get better battery life with better performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I feel like a lumberjack who just got an awesome new saw but can't figure out how to get it started.

Well, if you don't want to flash roms yet (not exactly familiar with your device) you can install the Xposed framework.
(if on 4.0.3 or later) After installing the framework, you can browse the modules that allow you to tweak your current rom with all sorts of different things :D
Introduction to Xposed.

As far as battery life and performance, there may be some modules that work great with your device and I'll have to wait until someone chimes in about that. Perhaps there is a kernel that you can install and tweak?

Again, I'm not that familiar with your device, but did you install a custom recovery?

Upvote 0
Well, if you don't want to flash roms yet (not exactly familiar with your device) you can install the Xposed framework.
(if on 4.0.3 or later) After installing the framework, you can browse the modules that allow you to tweak your current rom with all sorts of different things :D
Introduction to Xposed.

As far as battery life and performance, there may be some modules that work great with your device and I'll have to wait until someone chimes in about that. Perhaps there is a kernel that you can install and tweak?

Again, I'm not that familiar with your device, but did you install a custom recovery?

I'm familiar with the device. I haven't installed anything except a root checker, titanium backup, and ROM manager. I used titanium to remove bloatware. I'm seeing performance improvements just from doing that.

Upvote 0
Oh, that's cool then!
I would highly recommend a custom recovery. A custom recovery will allow you to make a nandroid backup.
(a nandroid backup is like a save point...like a snapshot of your phone's current state--if anything wonky should happen, you can restore the last nandroid made).
Nandroids are a root users' best friend :D

Upvote 0
Oh, that's cool then!
I would highly recommend a custom recovery. A custom recovery will allow you to make a nandroid backup.
(a nandroid backup is like a save point...like a snapshot of your phone's current state--if anything wonky should happen, you can restore the last nandroid made).
Nandroids are a root users' best friend :D

When you say custom recovery do you mean backing up with titanium? Under the schedules section of titanium

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup is a very useful tool indeed, and kitchengoodness said it well;)
However, TB is not a replacement for a nandroid backup. It cannot backup as much as a nandroid.
Think of a nandroid as a restore point for a computer. And it can only be done with a custom recovery (you have a stock recovery now, but it is limited)
See this for a better explanation of a custom recovery.
Also, in the stickies there is some info on installing a stock edit: custom recovery:) (don't know why I typed "stock" lol..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones