• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting after OTA

So I'm supposed to help a friend this afternoon root his Droid X phone. I was wondering if there is anything I should be extra careful about when rooting the phone that has been updated to GB.

If he took the OTA, there is no way to root his phone. You will have to sbf back to 2.3.340 and apply the two part TBH update to 4.5.596 that is pre-rooted.

I don't have any links off hand, but you can do a search or someone will come along and post those links.

Wait, I found this one:

Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Upvote 0
Oh, I get that, but it seems there is going to be a large amount of people who but new DXs that have GB stock from the store and will have no way other than SBF to FroYo and upgrade from there just to get a taste of the rooted side of life. I think it'll happen, just maybe not today, of course.
If I read my posts right, I saw the same pessimism involved when FroYo hit as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones