• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting an HTC EVO Shift for Dummies! (Last Updated 3/24/2010)

So, I read through this whole thread and was pretty hopeful until I got to the last two pages. I've wanted to root my phone for over a year, but since I've never done anything like this, there's never been an easy, idiot-proof way to root the Shift, and my husband would flip if I bricked it, I've never attempted it. When I saw this guide, I decided I'd finally try it. Until I got to the end. I followed the links about how to downgrade to froyo, but they mostly just leave my head spinning, especially since I'm running 2.3.4. Does anyone have any advice, or know if anything easier has come up recently? I'm constantly battling internal storage issues and I'd love to be able to delete the bloatware and move some stuff to my sd card that doesn't have that option right now. But, I really, really don't want to have to flash my phone and start from scratch to do.

Upvote 0
So, I read through this whole thread and was pretty hopeful until I got to the last two pages. I've wanted to root my phone for over a year, but since I've never done anything like this, there's never been an easy, idiot-proof way to root the Shift, and my husband would flip if I bricked it, I've never attempted it. When I saw this guide, I decided I'd finally try it. Until I got to the end. I followed the links about how to downgrade to froyo, but they mostly just leave my head spinning, especially since I'm running 2.3.4. Does anyone have any advice, or know if anything easier has come up recently? I'm constantly battling internal storage issues and I'd love to be able to delete the bloatware and move some stuff to my sd card that doesn't have that option right now. But, I really, really don't want to have to flash my phone and start from scratch to do.

Currently there are 2 different ways to root the Shift on 2.3.4. Both methods involve downgrading back to 2.2 in order to achieve root. One method you have to use the HTC Dev tool

Here's a link to both methods

[VIDEO GUIDE] FULL S-OFF ROOT for Evo SHIFT. Froyo (2.2) + Gingerbread (2.3.3+2.3.4) - xda-developers

Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added) - xda-developers

Both methods are going to require ADB and the proper drivers for your pc..

Upvote 0
Currently there are 2 different ways to root the Shift on 2.3.4. Both methods involve downgrading back to 2.2 in order to achieve root. One method you have to use the HTC Dev tool

Here's a link to both methods

[VIDEO GUIDE] FULL S-OFF ROOT for Evo SHIFT. Froyo (2.2) + Gingerbread (2.3.3+2.3.4) - xda-developers

Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added) - xda-developers

Both methods are going to require ADB and the proper drivers for your pc..

Thanks for the response! I've already looked through both of those threads (or the OP, at least) and was a bit lost since I don't understand what most of the terms and abbreviations, but I'll try to read through it again and figure it out. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but will I have to flash my phone regardless?

Upvote 0
Crump, You want me to edit the op, and add these or are they the same methods as are already up there? I am lost these days with the shift lol...

I added both of those methods to the Hboot/downgrade thread. Although I probably need to change the name..

Thanks for the response! I've already looked through both of those threads (or the OP, at least) and was a bit lost since I don't understand what most of the terms and abbreviations, but I'll try to read through it again and figure it out. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but will I have to flash my phone regardless?

Basically what you have to do is exploit the bootloader in order to downgrade using the ruu utility. Once you are downgrade you'll use the method in this thread { or any 2.2 rooting method} to obtain s-off. Keep in mind, this will bring you all the way back to 2.2 but you can easily flash a Gingerbread ROM.

I know this all sounds confusing but I would just suggest reading as much as you can. There's a ton of information out there on rooting the Shift and Android in general..

Upvote 0
So,I looked for a solution until my eyes went blurry..lol.. I'm finally trying to root my wifes evo shift to fix some of the problems she has from the last update. I've tried this method a few times now and I keep getting stuck at a black screen while trying to use Visionary. I've also tried Z4root and it just force closes. I'm thinking this is why I can't get SuperUser from ADB.

Upvote 0
So,I looked for a solution until my eyes went blurry..lol.. I'm finally trying to root my wifes evo shift to fix some of the problems she has from the last update. I've tried this method a few times now and I keep getting stuck at a black screen while trying to use Visionary. I've also tried Z4root and it just force closes. I'm thinking this is why I can't get SuperUser from ADB.

What version of Android are you on? If you are on 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, you'll have to take different steps before you can achieve root. Have a look at this thread [VIDEO GUIDE] FULL S-OFF ROOT for Evo SHIFT. Froyo (2.2) + Gingerbread (2.3.3+2.3.4) - xda-developers and this one Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added) - xda-developers ... and one more Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers It all dpends on what version of Android you r are running to determine which method you should follow.

Upvote 0
What version of Android are you on? If you are on 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, you'll have to take different steps before you can achieve root. Have a look at this thread [VIDEO GUIDE] FULL S-OFF ROOT for Evo SHIFT. Froyo (2.2) + Gingerbread (2.3.3+2.3.4) - xda-developers and this one Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added) - xda-developers ... and one more Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers It all dpends on what version of Android you r are running to determine which method you should follow.

Thanks for the links, finally got it. However im having another issue flashing roms. I've tried a few and every one fails. I already got the radios updated and flashed a kernel, but roms have failed everytime with some kind of error or another.

Upvote 0
First of all I can almost guarantee that these are the most simple detailed instructions regarding the root process of a HTC EVO Shift that you will find on the web. This is nearly as simplified as anyone could ever make it. My information is compiled together from numerous sources and my own personal experience to give you less confident people what you need in order to root your phone and remain at ease.

RED-Really Important Info

BLUE-Notes from my experience and further explanations
Purple-File names color coded for easy identification

NOTE: I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, however this process worked perfectly for me and it is pretty hard these days to brick your phone unless your trying.

Rooting Process

First, on your computer download the program "SDK" from Here. Download the file called "installer_r10-windows.exe". Install it. When prompted for the install path paste "C:\AndroidSDK" over the default path. Once finished, open it from the Start Menu. It should be right on your "C:\" drive. Now, select "Install Packages" and make sure you install "Android SKD Platform-Tools". Once finished, close out of Android SKD and AVD Manager.

2. ONLY FOLLOW THIS STEP IF PROBLEMS INVOLVING LOADING SDK OCCUR. Next, Go to the start menu and right click on "My Computer". Select "Properties", then select "Advanced"/"Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables", now go to the lower box (system variables) and select "path" then "Edit". Paste the following as your path "C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools", then select OK. This seems to have fixed most peoples problems.

3. Now, on your phone, press "Menu", then "Settings", then "Applications", then "Development". Check the box that says "USB Debugging" and press "OK" when the confirmation box appears.

4. Now, install HTC SYNC. There should be a folder on your SD card that came with the phone that has a HTC SYNC Setup in it. Just drag this to your desktop and run it. Otherwise download HTCSync. After installation, plug your phone into the computer and select "Disk drive" on your phones prompted menu.

5. Next, download the z4root app from This bottom of this thread's first post and save it on your desktop. Once downloaded, Copy the file and Paste it to the SD Card root. Or in other words, drop the file in the first folder of the SD card on your phone.

Next, switch your phone's connection status back to "Charge Only". Use any file manager (free from the android marketplace "ES File Explorer") to install the VISIONary app on your phone. On your phone just find the visionary installer in the file manager and click to install. (Icon should look like a caution sign). Once complete, open VISIONary on your phone and click "Temproot Now". Wait for the rooting process to take place. Shouldn't take long at all. At this point your phone is rooted. However, you may noticed that your phone is running slower than normal. Go back into VISIONary and put a check next to the box that says "temp root on boot". Now power off your phone and then turn back on. This will root your phone before background apps are running, thus making it much faster.

Next, Download the root file Here. Once installed, connect your phone to your computer as a disk drive and right click on the "shift-root.zip", select extract here, then use browse to locate your phone, more specifically the root of your SD card. If you are having trouble extracting, download 7-Zip . Now change your connection type back to "Charge only" again.

Next, Open the command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd") and paste the following...
Code:
cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
Hit enter, and type the following...
Code:
adb
If adb runs you're golden. Type this...
Code:
adb shell
Hit enter, you will see this...
Code:
$
Now type...
Code:
su
Hit enter. Now switch back to your phone. Superuser (an automatically installed program) will prompt you to "Allow" on your phone. Click it quickly to allow permissions! Now you will see this in the command prompt...
Code:
#
You have root permissions. If you didn't click allow fast enough just retype "su" and click enter again.

Next you have to Verify md5sum. Basically just make sure you copy and paste this EXACTLY...
Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
Then hit enter.Your result should look like this...
Code:
386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0  hboot_orig.bin
Make sure the numbers match. You may have some extra path in front of hboot_orig.bin. Next copy and paste this exactly...
Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
Then hit enter.Your result should look like this...
Code:
60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e  hboot_eng.nb0
Make sure the numbers match. You may have some extra path in front of hboot_eng.nbo. If these do not match do not proceed. Delete the "shift-root.zip" file on your sd card and redownload.

10. Now we're going to flash the "eng spl." This is where the unpleasant things can happen.Make sure you are in "adb shell" with superuser root permission (Granted a "#" symbol). This was explained in Step 8. If you are not in "adb shell" with root permissions (Granted a "#" symbol) then DO NOT proceed.

Now DO NOT REBOOT until you are instructed to do so!!!
In the command prompt, paste this EXACTLY...
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
Hit enter. You have flashed the "eng spl." Now we need to make sure it flashed properly.

Run this command to pull the newly flashed "hboot" to your sdcard. Copy and paste this EXACTLY...
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
Hit enter. Next you need to check the "md5" to see if it matches. In the command prompt, Copy and paste this EXACTLY...
Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
Hit enter. It should read...
Code:
60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e
if the "md5sum" matches then congratulations its safe to reboot!! you can skip the next bit and continue on to step 12.

If you absolutely cannot get the eng hboot to flash right then copy and paste this into the command prompt...

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
Hit enter. Then pull it to check "md5". Copy and paste this exactly...
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
Hit enter. Then check the "md5sum" by copying and Pasting this exactly...
Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
Hit enter. It should read...
Code:
386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0
If it doesn't, keep trying the previous 2 codes until it does but DO NOT!! reboot till it matches.

12. Now we can Perm root!!! First you need to reboot your phone into "bootloader". Do this by turning off phone and hold (power + volume down) till it boots into bootloader. Look at the top and make sure it says "s" off. If so, reboot the phone back into android by turning off and then back on.

Next Put the phone into airplane mode (hold down power and then click "airplane mode"). Go to setting, applications, manage applications and uninstall superuser.

Next, temp root with z4root. After you are temp rooted then attempt to perm root with z4root. Your phone will reboot and you are now officially perm rooted any changes you make will now stick on reboot. If it didn't stick, try doing steps 13 and 14 again.

Additional Sources:

More Detailed Perm Root Instructions - xda-developers
Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and Getting Started with ADB - xda-developers
[GUIDE *WITH VIDEO*] ADB/Fastboot Easy 5 minute setup (Great for nOObs) - xda-developers
[Guide] All About Rooting the HTC Shift: FAQ's & How To's (Updated 3/5/11) - Android Forums

IF YOU THINK ANY OTHER INFORMATION SHOULD BE ADDED FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME A PM AND I'D BE HAPPY TO ADD IT.

ADDITIONALLY IF THIS GUIDE HELPED YOU OUT FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A THANK YOU.

Hello, i really appreciate you doing this! i will ask you to make a mac version of this rooting process, if possible. thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones