• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting device for full control - Solved

Johncoool

Oct 6, 2019
I recently had to switch back to my old phone that runs on Android Lollipop because I am not working and can't afford to buy a new phone.

The goal is to be able to control app permissions and to stop apps from starting on their own.

I found many tutorials online for doing it and I don't want to do the long solution as it just seems to be too risky and some apps will stop working if the phone is rooted for some type of security.

I did use Kingroot on my test device that runs Android Kitkat and it works fine however I don't want to use this app on my daily device because I read online reviews on how some of the "one click root solution" apps collect data and have other shady remarks about them.

Some of the one click root apps don't fully root the phone allowing it to work with all apps and just give root, where it is needed.

I know that there are several that are good but I want one that does not collect any data and is 100% safe.

Or a perfect solution that will allow me to achieve my goal with rooting at all.

I have been trying many things over the past week and no luck yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi
You best bet is to start reading threw XDA and familiarize yourself with what's available for your specific device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sony-xperia-z1-compact

I have a rooted Sprint Note 4 on 6.0.1MM. I strongly recommend you flash a custom recovery like TWRP before you root and then immediately back up all partitions to external sd or OTG flash drive. Make sure you check every box
If your on Lollipop, chances are you'll have system root. If you upgrade to Marshmallow you'll have systemless root.
The two main choces for most devices are Chainfire (SuperSu) and Magisk. The first is closed source and the second is open source.

https://www.xda-developers.com/magisk-vs-supersu/

I prefer SuperSu because it gives me the ability to r/w and port my device with ease. Being that I extensively mod my N4, have a overclocked permissive custom kernel and the Xposed framwork, I have no chance of passing Saftynet check., thus Google pay, banking apps and some other apps will not work on my device.
Magisk is now struggling to pass "saftynet" checks due to Google new tightened security.
Generally both are considered secure but nothing is 100%. Much of this depends on the user knowing what and how to use the power of root. Make a certain you tust the apps you grant root privilegeds too.

Upvote 0
To Mr. Javi.

Can you be bothered to support me while on chat.

I am very strong technically on Microsoft windows OS (because it was my job for many years to support Microsoft windows platform) but not so good with others and not confident to do such tasks.

We can use the chat provided here at a time that we are both free.

I would not mind sending a donation to you but I honestly do not have any cash to do so.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To Mr. Javi.

Can you be bothered to support me while on chat.

I am very strong technically on Microsoft windows OS (because it was my job for many years to support Microsoft windows platform) but not so good with others and not confident to do such tasks.

We can use the chat provided here at a time that we are both free.

I would not mind sending a donation to you but I honestly do not have any cash to do so.

Please let me know what you think.

No need for donations @Johncoool . You'll find Android Forums filled with members who just like to help others. There's real good people here. Sometimes we don't all agree but thats ok.
I should mention that my experience rooting is with Samsungs . After root much is the same but each device has different methods. For instance, I flash TWRP with a computer program called Odin whitch is exclusively for Samsungs and non other. I know LG has LG flash to on PC as well as a few other programs that can be used to root but I honestly have no experience whatsoever with Sony. I can guide you in general and I will help you with what I know.
The first time I rooted, I used an app. Just like you it simply was unavailable. I finally had a rooted S3. I finally didn't get kicked out by apps saying "root required". That really lissed me off. I felt like the app was telling me "VIP only and slammed the door on me". Anyway, the jiy of root quickly faded as it became obvious to me that technically, my phone was rooted but I didn't have the power of root. The app I used to root was in control. That was the first and the last time I used sn app to root. You'll find both your in control after rooting with SuperSu or Magisk. :)

Upvote 0
I will continue this using private chat with Mr. Javi. I will post the steps I take as per his advise along with the results so that everyone can have the solution as well.

Mr Javi is currently doing research for this particular phone so I will post here below related information to the subject that others would find useful.

The below link is a method used by an expert back in 2015 to root the same model phone. You will notice that it is very long and complicated and risky process which I am not willing to try.

The phone was sold in 2014 with Android Kitkat and at some point in 2015 a software update was released that upgraded the device to Android Lollipop. So the above method and several others that I found require the device to be downgraded back to Android Kitkat O/S and the rooted and then upgraded again.

I would not recommend rooting a device that is still under warranty as that would void the warranty.

I did try a while ago to upgrade my other test device to Android Lollipop (I did not care if it would brick it) which runs Android Kitkat. The upgrade did not work because in the tutorials that I saw never mentioned anything about unlocking the bootloader and the multiple attempts resulted in damaging the recovery mode. The device still works normally but just hangs when I try to access the recovery mode.

I did post on this site about that attempt but no one could help me out. Here is the link.

https://androidforums.com/threads/upgrading-a-locked-android-4-4-2.1315292/

The below link is to unlock bootloader for Sony devices.

https://www.kingoapp.com/sony-bootloader-unlock.htm

After a long chat with Mr Javi we were not able to find an easy risk free way to root the phone.

So I have to wait for someone with experience to give tips for this model.

I have found a way to use root without rooting the device or using the "one click root" solution. However, I would still like to make sure that it is safe before I use it.

In the below link there is a video that is about an app called VMOS which allows to duplicate the O/S (done automatically) and creates a virtual O/S on top of the locked one on the device and then the virtual one can be rooted.

The app has been removed from the "play store". I am adding below the FAQ from their website. In the FAQ they mention that they do not collect any data and that the only data they collect is for error logs.

https://www.vmos.com/faq.htm

Can that claim be trusted? Would anyone trust that they are honest and do not collect any other data.

I am also sure that running a virtual O/S would require to use more resources on the device. So this solution would not be useful for just any device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I noticed that some people recommend contacting the manufacturer for unlocking the Bootloader.

I am now considering contacting the manufacturer to get information on unlocking the Bootloader and rooting. They might agree since it is an old phone.

Does anyone have any tips in regards to that?

The below link is the official Sony Xperia way to unlock the bootloader.

https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/#unlock-code

After a long chat with MrJavi I have decided to root the phone with the following method. He has provided me with several links to assist in the process. The process involves using Sony official tips.

I will be using the same method in the below video along with the Rom from another link because it is another model.

This method will change the O/S back to Kitkat and then I am hoping as I have seen in other rooting videos for this model, that it will be upgraded to Lollipop from Sony updates. That is what happened a year after I bought the phone.

Method

Rom

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2641067

I will update results once it is done sometime this month.

The ROOTING process for the Z1 Compact has been completed.

It did not work with the method of the video in the previous post because that method is not meant for Z1 Compact. I tried to used a method of a similar phone but it did not work. It caused the O/S to stop working completely.

I learned that Sony has provided official tools on their support websites that can unlock most if not all the Sony Xperia phones bootloader. They also provide tools that work on Flashmode which is used to restore any corrupted O/S but it only works if the bootloader is unlocked. I tested these methods on both of my Sony Xperia phones and it worked well.

The method that did work but also needed to find some of the requirements separately is in the below video.

Unlocking the bootloader did cause all the settings to reset.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
The ROOTING process for the Z1 Compact has been completed.

It did not work with the method of the video in the previous post because that method is not meant for Z1 Compact. I tried to used a method of a similar phone but it did not work. It caused the O/S to stop working completely.

I learned that Sony has provided official tools on their support websites that can unlock most if not all the Sony Xperia phones bootloader. They also provide tools that work on Flashmode which is used to restore any corrupted O/S but it only works if the bootloader is unlocked. I tested these methods on both of my Sony Xperia phones and it worked well.

The method that did work but also needed to find some of the requirements separately is in the below video.

Unlocking the bootloader did cause all the settings to reset.

Congratulations on a job well done @Johncoool ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones