• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting HTC Hero GSM (Telus Version)

nosit1

Lurker
May 17, 2010
So I just got a Telus version of the HTC Hero. Coming from an iPhone, I've been through some of the 'root/jailbreak' scenes, so most things are familiar. However, making the transition to the Anrdoid OS, there's many things I'm not understanding. Currently the Hero is running 1.5 (can that be updated). I tried running Instant Root and it failed. So I tried the Gold Card method (Eh, not too bad) and no luck with that. I'm not sure where to start, since the guides mentioned in the stickies for root don't work for me. I'm just a confused newbie with the Android customization scene. Any help would be appreciated.

Info:
Model Number: HTC Hero
Firmware Version 1.5
Baseband Version: 63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20
Kernel Version: 2.6.27-0078c992htc-kernel@and18-2 #851
Build number 2.73.661.49 CL#74632 release keys
Software version 1.0.0.A6288

Am I stuck here forever...?

Yeah, there's no firmware out there at the moment that can't be rooted/placed. :)

Whether or not the official 2.1 firmware can be (whenever it actually gets released) is another matter...

I remade my GoldCard and followed different instructions word for word (including where it said to have HTC Sync on the phone connecting and different RUU) and it worked! Flashed the bootloader (right?) and it's flashed so now I'm installing a ROM!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones