• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting instructions for 4.4.4 Build B13 & 4.4.2 Build B33

Hey folks, i finally have an OTA update knocking at the door of my Zmax b22 from Family Mobile (t-mobile).

I guess it is b33 update. I also caught the update.zip file in case someone needs it...

Should i update? Since it (b33) is rootable now, as per this thread, I'm thinking why knot?...

But from my previous conversation with Masterchief i remember that there was something nasty about b33 update, like completely locked bootloader, instead of the one that just restricted /system to read-only..

or something like that...

so my questin is what's up with that locked bootloader version according to the newest info? does b33 update still allow for twrp, custom roms etc...?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations..
According to masterchief we don't have that issue. A few people on B.33 are rooted and some have custom ROMS and are just fine. I'm on a Walmart family mobile ZMAX on B.33 and I only temp rooted. Whether you want the update is up to you. Would you like to have Band 12 and VoLTE or are they not of use to you. If you live in a band12 area, then it might be worth a shot. If you want to try VoLTE, then update. In the end, now it's going to come down to personal choice, I updated to B.33 thinking I would never be able to root again, it comes down to what yours willing to risk.

Cheers! - Andrewred

Upvote 0
I only ran kingroot and rooted. But I didn't proceed to install TWRP or SuperSu. I did it to grab a few things for chief. I just didn't want a full root. Though I might do so later to install Broken if it gets updated to marshmallow

Ok, i see thank you for the explanation.. now you effectively should NOT have root , or more exactly it disappeared on first reboot..

The only purpose of kingroot as far as i understand, is to allow the app to install twrp and then reboot into it, and then flash supersu into /system, when it is not read only...

Upvote 0
Ok, i see thank you for the explanation.. now you effectively should NOT have root , or more exactly it disappeared on first reboot..

The only purpose of kingroot as far as i understand, is to allow the app to install twrp and then reboot into it, and then flash supersu into /system, when it is not read only...
Yes. I do not have root and yes, TWRP runs a script to push the super user binaries into /system and to install SuperSu as a system apps

Upvote 0
First thanks a lot for this guide. It works.

But I do have a question. I heard that Kingroot hides in your device, collects and upload your personal information to their server. Is that true? How to stop this?

Thanks.
If you don't trust kingroot then factory reset before you download and install it and root before you put any personal info on your phone then delete kingroot as soon as you have twrp installed.

Upvote 0
I cant get twrp to install. It runs through Kingroot just fine but it won't let me install twrp recovery. Just gives me an error message. Also root checker says I'm not rooted also.
AF1QipOKQo13lf3oV_Oc5cnOjrH_6sO6gbWqmc9XNV-C
I would post the screenshot but I can't figure out how too. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you don't trust kingroot then factory reset before you download and install it and root before you put any personal info on your phone then delete kingroot as soon as you have twrp installed.
Thanks. Actually that's what I did. I have uninstalled kingroot, but there are still some files of "kingroot.xxx" under "/data/xxx" folder or somewhere else. Do you think if these residual files of kingroot are safe?

Upvote 0
I used 4.6.0 and it worked, but to install TWRP I had to switch on root permissions. They may have added that as an option for people who need to hide root occasionally.
Maybe, I couldn't figure it out. On 4.6.0 it looked like it root perm were already on. After it rooted on 4.6.0 when I would open twrp app there was no prompt asking for permission but when I installed 4.5.2 and ran it then opened twrp I got the prompt asking for permission. I don't know either way, Im just happy I finally got root know after waiting forever. Props to Kingroot and devs for remembering the budget phones.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just to confirm, we don't need to flash B06 Modem on metro fter flashing any Rom, it works without it. I don't have issues with Calls or Network everything works fine. I notice when i flash the B06 the phone start having issue with network speed, very slow speed.
How is that? Because I'm having problems with my network after flashing BrokenOS, even after flashing b06 still no network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones