• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting possibility with 2.1? Why? Why not?

My programming skills started with Atari basic, then onto the TI-99 4A, then to the Vic-20 and Commodore 64.. I then learned all the DOS commands, and later went on to learning the Command Prompt in windows(minor hacking). I've never really gotten into any hardcore programming though. Most of my field was modding my machines for more space/performance/.etc.--something that I still seem to be into to this day:rolleyes:

Man that takes me back. I learned to program on an Atari 400 with a tape drive to hold my data. It was always a 50/50 proposition whether that data would ever be re-loaded.

More on topic, rooting is nothing more than obtaining super user privileges. The root account exists in *nix to prevent the normal user from changing system settings, etc. Back in the mainframe days, 100's of people would use the same computer and you really didn't want to have every user being able to change the system or really having access to files other than their own.

Like someone else mentioned, Verizon/Motorola doesn't really want to (nor should they) provide support for a device that they did not configure.

It really makes me want to get my hands on a phone that I didn't have to rely on. There is so many things that I would like to experiment with. For instance, I don't see why you couldn't mount /data onto the sdcard and greatly increase your storage app storage capacity. However, at the end of the day I need a phone and while I could probably fix most things I couldn't be out a phone while I did it...

Upvote 0
Heh, I like how this thread turned into a PC thread.

Heh. :eek: Sorry OP.

But in all fairness, his questions were answered quite completely prior to the hijacking.

noevil.gif

Upvote 0
/hijack off

The loophole will be closed with 2.1, so when Droids start shipping with that stock, there will be a way to flash 2.0.1 over the 2.1, so you can root, etc all over again. This downgrade is accomplished through a "monster" file that is given out to, I'd guess, companies that sell the phone.

The information I stated may not be 100% true, I'm 100% new to this kind of information and just what I gathered from the thread.

The file and tools have all been found, here is a thread.

EDIT: CRPercodani posted a lot of this information on the top of this forum and I apologize for not noticing, although his post is guided more towards unbricking, since 2.1 shipping stock is a non-issue for months to come.

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=210&t=2424

Upvote 0
That came at a much later date than the generation of PCs we had when I was young. Back when I was in school, the Apple PCs still required a 6.5" floppy to boot, and then you would change the disk to use whatever program you wanted after the PC had fully booted. (And nothing was stored on the HD. ALL programs required disks. )

But thanks for making me feel old. :D Excuse me while I go clean my false teeth and get out of this weelchair.

LOL...Me too, when I was in HS, the computers were using Basic and Cobalt.

Upvote 0
Here is a very concise explanation of exactly how the Droid was rooted: Evan Charlton :: How Droid Was Rooted

For non-programmers: The "security hole" others mentioned has to do with the way the signature on the update.zip file is verified. Due to a typo on the part of the programmers, the verification check does not fail in a particular case when it should.

This will almost certainly be fixed by the next official update. For those speculating that "it's just a matter of time" until another method of gaining root is found: Don't hold your breath. Under the hood, Android is Linux. Because Linux is used in so many critical systems, and the code has been open for all the world to see for almost 20 years now and has been reviewed by thousands of the world's best programmers, root exploits are few and far between.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones