1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Rooting rookie needs help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by t2tl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. t2tl

t2tl Member

Jun 13, 2010
    I am very interested in rooting, but have been having trouble. I've never done anything like this before so even after searching the forums in threads which people have had trouble, I don't understand the solutions. I'm going to give the run through to where I am now, sorry about how little I know, am very lost.

1) I used the Idiot-Proof guide to root
    2) The phone was pretty new and I hardly had any applications on there so I decided to skip to step 14 like the tutorial says.
    3) Everything seemed to be going well until I tried to install the ROM, getting an error message when I tried apply sdcard:update.zip.
    4) I tried to install Fresh after the first ROM not working and that didn't do anything either so I wanted to see if I actually was rooted.
    5) I read that to check if you're rooted download Titanium Backup and when launching it if you get an error message you aren't rooted.
    6) I got an error message so figure I did something in the actual root incorrectly.
    7) I want to try everything over again, but am not sure how to go about doing that. Do I just delete the files that I downloaded in the tutorial or is there something else? I am worried I may brick my phone by just deleting things before finding out for sure first.

Once again apologize for the newbness of these questions, looking to learn more.

edit - what I was getting is "e: can't open/cache/recovery/command

Advertisement

2. t2tl

t2tl Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Do you guys think I should try a wipe and start all over? If so, how do I go about doing that?

3. t2tl

t2tl Member

Jun 13, 2010
    I found where to wipe. Found it in Android system recovery. I don't want to do it yet until I get a confirmation since it is giving me a warning it cannot be undone. I know it's late, but anyone around?

4. arozer

arozer Member

Jun 6, 2010
    1&2) Aren't really questions.
    3) when you put the "update.zip" file on your SDCard, make sure to rename it just "update" not "update.zip" because your computer will read it as "update.zip.zip".
    4-6) just do that step 3 first and i'm positive everything will work for you.
    7) yes.. you do just start all over again. I've "re-rooted" about 3-4 times now because I kept getting it wrong the first time.

I finally just figured out yesterday how to do EVERYTHING the right way (after a lot of trial and errors) so you can just PM me any specific questions you may have.

Also, I've had to re-format my SDcard twice now.

t2tl likes this.
  5. t2tl

t2tl Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Thank you so much, I think what is wrong was that it was still .zip, I'll try just update. I appreciate it, I'm going to try it out later tonight. How long did the whole process take? An hour or so?

Tags: