• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting X vs D1

toker11

Nov 16, 2009
so i just got a droid x yesterday. ive had the D1 for over a year. been comfortable with rooting that thing no problem. my question is...how different is rooting the X? or is it pretty similar?

are the roms put on the phone thru update.zip process or different? i just downloaded the z4root thing and am about to run that so ill be rooted but as far as roms. whats the deal?

is UD just as good for the X as it is for the D1?

Rooting is a breeze on the X. ROMs aren't as plentiful as you suspected however. The D1 was not locked down like the D2 and DX are. UD was the very first ROM I flashed and it was freaking blazingly fast!!! However they are still trying to work out GPS and camera issues on the AOSP ROM's such as UD, Obsidian and Unleashed. They don't work yet.

So my advice is to flash GummyJAR as it is the closest thing to UD that I have found. There are still plenty of ROM options out there to chose from. Apex is very popular around here, Tranquility, Rubix and Fission are some other popular options.

Good luck, and welcome to the X!

Upvote 0
thanks guys. gummyjar is on the new X already...what do you guys use for kernals now? i was at 1422 in quadrant out of the box. i wanna blow that outa the water!

It depends on how high you can OC your particular device. My device for instance doesn't like anything over 1200 ghz. It's running very stable right now on GummyJAR at 1200. But to be honest, once your phone runs as smoothly as it can on a ROM like Gummy, I find OCing to be something I'm not all that concerned about anymore.

I just ran Quadrant and got a 1530. So it's not KILLING my factory score (mine out of the box ran like a 1350), but it's indeed faster. But IMO a Quadrent score doesn't tell the whole story. Before I started ROMing I had my stock ROM OC'd to 1350 ghz and it ran an 1800 off. BUT, the phone was no where near as responsive as it is now at 1530. I still had lag when switching between home screens, and like when I would long press on a home page to add a shortcut, it would take anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds to produce my apps list (mind you, I have over 150 apps to list).

On GummyJAR, I long press on a home screen, and my app list appears within 5 seconds... when it's responding SLOW!!! It seems like everytime I do this for the first time in a while, it takes 4 or 5 seconds. But each time I do it right after that, they appear just about instantaneously. On my stock ROM, and even on Apex and Rubix, they always took 10 to 15 seconds no matter how many times I'd pulled it up in a row.

Personally, that sort of thing aggrivates me. This is why I'm so at home with GummyJAR. The extra's don't concern me, I just like it for the speed!

Upvote 0
i downloaded the jrummy oc app and am currently at 1.3 and running very fast and stable. my quadrants are high 1700's. which makes me happy. i do agree with you though as far as quadrant not telling everything. my D1 would run 1500's but would still lag like a mofo alot. so far GummyJAR is awesome.

has anyone ran any of UD's stuff? what do u think of that compared to Gummy?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones