• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RUMOR: My insider sources confirms............

At first I was thinking a Friday/near-weekend release date would be a terrible idea. Why would you want pissed off people over the weekend trying to use their phones that just got fouled up in an update? They have lots of time to jam up your customer service in-person, on the phone, and on-line. Then I remembered that corporate customers are the holy grail of cell companies, so I could see us poor, unwashed masses being the final test run before this hits the business world on Monday...

I have a hard time believing they will actually release it this Friday too. I was guessing early May myself.

Upvote 0
Friday is actually the best time to release OTA updates - no business traffic to slow the network over the weekend and 2 days to reset exchange servers before business starts on Monday...

Unfortunately, this is not going to be an OTA update. There will be the Repair Center only install option first, then OTW eventually. Also, everyone in the Sprint testing facilities that I am in contact with is saying that the Hero update is still due on the 9th, with the Moment's to follow in about 2 weeks. The RC's still don't have the final launch packages for the Hero though, so it's looking doubtful for the 9th.

Upvote 0
So your telling me that Friday when I wake up at 8:30 and I go into ">menu>settings>about phone>updates>update software" that it will load and update to "Android 2.1". that's what's gonna happen right?

that is not what he said, no one but you is saying that it's going to be an OTA update... so chances are when it does come out and you try doing the OTA update it won't work.

regardless, keep in mind that Sprint released the 6.5 update for the TP2 on a Friday, so Friday releases is quite possible with Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones