• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running services

JB in AZ

Android Expert
Oct 27, 2009
Florida
com.smithmicro.DM
HtcDMService
DM ServiceApp

From my reasearch, these may have to do with OTA updates from HTC. Considering a rooted phone, are they safe to kill on boot? Anyone have any experience with stopping these processes, or can confirm what they are? My thought was that stopping these may help battery life. Thanks.

I highly recommend you all read up on task killers and the like. I have found that if you just let the phone do what it is meant to do, and not go around killing tasks, it works 100% better. I used a task killer when I first got my phone, but very quickly found it to be more of a negative effect than a positive.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend you all read up on task killers and the like. I have found that if you just let the phone do what it is meant to do, and not go around killing tasks, it works 100% better. I used a task killer when I first got my phone, but very quickly found it to be more of a negative effect than a positive.

hehe, yes I know this. I have read the sticky on task killers and agree with it. And normaly I don't use, and have never recommended a task killer. I just got to thinking (I know, very dangerous thing to do! LOL) with those of us running custom roms, we aren't going to be getting any OTA updates, so why have a servce running checking for them all the time, if this is in fact what these services do?

I don't plan on any continual use of a task killer type app for any other reason then to stop a misbehaving app. Was mostly wondering if anyone knows what these services are, and if they are necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones