• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help s3 will not connect to home router

phillll

Lurker
Aug 2, 2013
Hi there, basically ive been having some problems with my samsung, one was that it was almost full, would not give a gps location and would not download simple files off of the internet.

So i decided a full back up, then factory reset the phone, done it before, worked a dream. untill yesterday.

The phone now will no longer connect to my home router, although i have my ps3 and laptop on the same network without any issues, a few threads popped up on here and ive followed the tips and still had no luck connecting, the only time the phone will connect is when im sat right next to the router, but it will not allow internet access. i use a bt-home hub that automatically scans channels but i have tryed selecting these channels manually, again the laptop and ps3 still works on all the channels i have tryed.

12 months ago when i first bought the phone (signed thee contract) i came home charged it up, selected my home wi-fi network, a password box was promted, this is hwere i entered the facory password and never had a problem untill yesterday. i don't get what could have chansged since then!
hellp!

ive also tryed changing these channels and had no luck

yeah i have done all this ive turned it on off rebooted the phone and factory reset it twice. my gps now works as well, but not the wifi.

ive changed the password for my wifi and still both my laptop and ps3 seem to connect to it without any trouble.

the only time my phone does connect to the wifi is when i have it placed right next to the router, however there is no internet connection??

Upvote 0
Try changing the channel on the router. I've seen this work more often times than not when a cell phone is having issues connecting to wifi.
My router uses 'smart wireless' so it will choose the best channel available, however i have tryed on all seperate channels and still havn't had any luck.

Ive also tryed connecting to my firends wi-fi my dad's and the cloud and no luck

it comes up with authentication error/password incorrect: when infact the password is correct, it drove me to the point where i tryed entering the wps pin.

I have also done the whole *#0011# and turned the wifi powersaving off. Still no luck

I then factory restored my phone again, and installed settings froma backup i done in may this year (when the phone was running fine) and still no luck.

The only other option ive seen to fix this bug voids the warrenty on the phone and is quite a long process. I've literallly tryed every suggestion on every forum website i've trwled through on google for endless hours and still no luck, going to see what the store says today!

Upvote 0
I had issues with my wifi out of the blue two days ago. I'd never had any problems at all previously. What worked for me was to go into settings, then into "More Settings", then into "Mobile Networks", then I de-selected "Mobile Data", then re-select "Mobile Data".

This seemed to be a painfully easy way to jar my system on my phone again, and have it back to connecting to the wifi just like it always had.

I hope you're as lucky as I was, you're having the exact same problem as I was, and this might work for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones