• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S5 "Quick Glance" standby screen feature?

EWyatt

Apr 15, 2014
On my Galaxy S4, I can wave my hand over the blank (standby?) screen and get a momentary screen showing numerous info. My new S5 doesn't do this. The proximity sensor works well and I've selected ALL the motion and gestures features to be ON.

Ideas? Or perhaps the S5 doesn't have this Quick Glance feature like the S4.
Thanks.
EW

Reactions: Cincy73
I was wondering how this was any different than just pressing the home button.

The outcome is the same -- I suppose it's just a matter of less use of a mechanical device (the button), thereby less "wear and tear." Yeah, I know that's a stretch, but.....

And I'm wondering whether those with the problem of the "wave" not working are using a case. My S4's proximity sensor wouldn't work either with my Otterbox case until I "modified" the area just above the sensor.

Upvote 0
You nailed it, Axel. Although the result is not exactly as on the S4, it's as good or better. Thanks bunches! :D
EW
I disagree. I prefer the quick glace over the air wake. With the quick glance on the S4 you could swipe over the phone in the middle of the night while the phone is charging and see the time, the weather, missed calls, texts, Facebook notifications etc then the screen would go back to black. With air wake once you swipe over and the screen goes on it stays on while charging until hitting the power button to turn the screen off. I know Samsung wanted to tame down Touchwiz but I really enjoyed quick glance and that was one they should of kept IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones