• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 ROM/Root Help

A

Android Question

Hey all, I'm not much of a tech guy and know next to nothing about computers or smart phones, so I'm coming here for help.

I'm getting my first Android phone since Android was brand new and really crappy. It is a Galaxy S5.

Here's what I want: I want a no frills phone that will surf the web, play music, text, and make calls without glitches, bloatware that takes up storage and RAM, and needless extras. I don't need fonts or animations, the latest apps, or anything like that. I want both Samsung's and Verizon's bullshit gone.

Do I root or find a very basic ROM? I guess I want as close to the pure, basic, stock Android OS as I can get. What's the best ROM for this?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Android 1.5 (Cupcake) was no work of art ;) :) [neither was 1.6 (Donut), either]...

The OP might also be locked-in to Verizon (for whatever reason--coverage, contract, etc.) and to the S5 he has or will purchase(d).

But please heed all cautions regarding rooting if you decide to go the route--there are consequences and downsides should something go awry...

Best of luck!

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones