• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 Running dog slow

bartjunited

Nov 24, 2009
hi i wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar problem to me with their S5

Its been running 5.0 for a few months now and I did a clean install when I upgraded it.

however over the past few weeks at times it runs horrendously slow to the point where when you try to put your pin in to unlock the phone it displays a set of white blocks instead of numbers

I am regularly running Ccleaner on it and rebooting the phone but soon after the same thing happens

Any ideas

Cheers

Bart

Upvote 0
So I think Ive managed to do the first part and root the device

Ive then installed twrp

Unsure whether I now need to boot direct into twrp or I can launch it from within the phone??

When I have tried to boot into recovery I don't see twrp and the Android figure is on it's back
Other than just installing twrp from the store do I need to launch and do anything with this app before I use it to locate the firmware that I want.

And finally to confirm I would download the new firmware to the phone on a SD card or onto the laptop and navigate to it via twrp.

Sorry for the questions, first time I'm trying to install a non stock rom on a phone

Upvote 0
have also tried a new micro sd card
and tried to format it using NTFS, exFAT and FAT32

also to double confirm I am trying to create a back up to the micro sd card and NOT the local storage

I read somewhere about using ADB to install the ROM but wasnt sure about this

any more ideas gents??

Upvote 0
have also tried a new micro sd card
and tried to format it using NTFS, exFAT and FAT32

You can format a new SD card in the phone... Settings > Storage > Format SD card

also to double confirm I am trying to create a back up to the micro sd card and NOT the local storage

Are you talking about a nandroid backup or a Titanium backup or something totally different?

I read somewhere about using ADB to install the ROM but wasnt sure about this

Most, if not all, custom ROMs are flashable .zip files that are installed via TWRP. You will need to read the ROM developers installation instructions... slowly, carefully and thoroughly!

Reactions: bartjunited
Upvote 0
i was just trying to make a nandroid back up - do i need to? as I knwo the phone will be wiped in any case

ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS! make a nandroid backup to your ext SD card and even copy it to your computer or upload it to Google Drive or DropBox as well, before doing anything on your phone.

am i safe to try and flash the Cymogened rom?

So long as you carefully and thoroughly read the installation instructions, and follow them, first.

Upvote 0
ok so at the moment i cant make a back up using TWRP as i keep getting that error

what do you advise? otherwise I wont have a back up?

OK... this is a workaround...

Install SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD free from the Play Store. It works fine on Lollipop. Follow the instructions.

This will enable you to write to ext SD card and save backups and Titanium Backups to it.

Reactions: bartjunited
Upvote 0
thank you ill try that now

also to confirm once i manage to create my back up to install the ROM I would do the following

- copy ROM to sd card
-boot into TWRP Recovery
- Choose WIPE partition and wipe the local partition
- then choose INSTALL - navigate to ROM, follow instructions and Flash?
?

Upvote 0
damn damn damn

so i downloaded and ran the fix you suggested which says it worked on the phone

then booted back into TWRP and went to create the Nand back up

however agsin i got the Red E:unable to mount messages , it tries to create a back up onto the micro sd and then fails at the end.

Can i back up to the laptop?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones