• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5570 - Non-functional camera, audio, gps, time/date - frequent auto-rebooting

ftherese

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
Tried to unlock my phone with xda guide, boot-loop. Took it to be repaired by some guy in a cellphone shop, he was only able to flash it to gingerbread, the USB was non-functional (sound, gps, camera, as well) so he was unable to unlock it.

Did my own flashing - cannot return to froyo (always gives a boot-loop). I am able to get USB and debugging now with latest version of gingerbread, but camera, audio, time/date (always resets to four and a half years ago when it auto-reboots), don't work and there is no samsung service center that will deal with foreign bought phones (purchased in France) here in Salvador, Brazil.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated!

I've tried all the roms I could get my hands on. I am tempted to think now it is a problem with this elusive efs partition - stl5 - which I mounted once to grab unlock code once, and remounted etc. I think that mounting this block vfat must write something to the block device that makes it "look dirty" to the OS. Reading around, there are other posts that state that the stl5 block is contained within a bml block - that dd-ing the stl5 block back ontop of itself should clear it, etc. I've tried dd if=/dev/block/stl5 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs; then /sdcard/efs.rfs -> /dev/block/stl5, and nothing changed. I also tried flashing the efs.rfs back using ODIN and TASS.ops (for the GT-S5570) but i don't think the script makes mention of the right bin for flashing efs (I get an error every time about wrong binary something or other, and the TASS script file makes no mention of an efs image for flashing).

Unless someone has another idea, I am trying to figure out what the efs image file should be named in order to flash it with odin and TASS script... maybe I should look at other ops scripts to see if there are any clues. I also tried grabbing the pit with heimdall, but either my libusb doesn't work under both linux and windows, or heimdall is incompatible with the galaxy mini.

Upvote 0
I've tried all the roms I could get my hands on. I am tempted to think now it is a problem with this elusive efs partition - stl5 - which I mounted once to grab unlock code once, and remounted etc. I think that mounting this block vfat must write something to the block device that makes it "look dirty" to the OS. Reading around, there are other posts that state that the stl5 block is contained within a bml block - that dd-ing the stl5 block back ontop of itself should clear it, etc. I've tried dd if=/dev/block/stl5 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs; then /sdcard/efs.rfs -> /dev/block/stl5, and nothing changed. I also tried flashing the efs.rfs back using ODIN and TASS.ops (for the GT-S5570) but i don't think the script makes mention of the right bin for flashing efs (I get an error every time about wrong binary something or other, and the TASS script file makes no mention of an efs image for flashing).

Unless someone has another idea, I am trying to figure out what the efs image file should be named in order to flash it with odin and TASS script... maybe I should look at other ops scripts to see if there are any clues. I also tried grabbing the pit with heimdall, but either my libusb doesn't work under both linux and windows, or heimdall is incompatible with the galaxy mini.

Did you find any solution? I have the same problems, I've tried the same things without success.....

Upvote 0
I went too far and tried scraping my /dev/block/stl5 partition. I gave it to a friend to see if he could take it to someone who could fix it. I suppose JTAG is the only thing left for it, but I don't know if he'll find anyone who can deal with it.

My other idea was to add something about efs.rfs to the TASS file... otherwise I'm stumped.

Upvote 0
I went too far and tried scraping my /dev/block/stl5 partition. I gave it to a friend to see if he could take it to someone who could fix it. I suppose JTAG is the only thing left for it, but I don't know if he'll find anyone who can deal with it.

My other idea was to add something about efs.rfs to the TASS file... otherwise I'm stumped.

Did you delete the cache and memory to refresh it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones