• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S7 Edge dead screen.. No reply from Samsung

So my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge broke after 3 months, I got it the day it came out in the UK. At first I opened Snapchat then all of a sudden a third of the screen went pink and flickery, so I contacted samsung and they said do a factory reset and get back to them.
This did nothing, so I went to contact Samsung again and whilst I was contacting them the screen completely went so it was sent off to Anovo I got an email with a image of my Micro USB port saying....

“We have located damage on your device and this damage is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
Our engineers have found liquid damage and are therefore unable to further assess any faults you were experiencing.
Please see attached a picture of the damage.
This damage is considered too severe for us to proceed, and classes your product as Beyond Economical Repair. (BER)”

228094d1463754549-s7-edge-broken-need-opinions-0.jpg

I've never put my phone in water as I've never wanted to risk it but it has been exposed to a bit of rain (the weather hasn't been the best in the UK). I phoned Anovo to find out what was going on. The man on the phone told me exactly what the email said, and when I went on to say “I thought it was water resistant” he put me on hold to speak to someone. He then came back and said the engineers found water in the charging port but didn't say how it got there and also didn't tell me why the water sensor in the USB port didn't work to prevent it from happening, I don't know if a message pops up on your phone when you try and charge it when it's wet or not warning you but if there is one then I've never seen it.

But what's even stranger to me is that the phone still functions, it charges, it vibrates for notifications and the little light comes on, it makes sounds when you press the volume buttons, you can double tap the home button and it opens the camera, you can press the volume buttons to take pictures. So I feel like it's not as broken as I'm being told. I've made a lot of phone calls, sent a formal letter and 2 emails starting on Friday 13th (when I got the email from Anovo) and I am still yet to hear anything back!

Filmed on a Sony Xperia Z3 which can survive rain..

Just posting this to warn people that the S7e might not be as waterproof as they make out and I wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar problems and could please help!

Do you have a Samsung Service location near you. My first thought would have been to go to one.

Samsung have a Duty of Care to look after you under their 24 Manufacturing Warranty.

I haven't but I suggest you check out their T&C's thoroughly.

Did you purchase it from Samsung or via a Contract with a Network?

Check out the Sales of Goods Act.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Reactions: Calum Chamberlain
Upvote 0
Do you have a Samsung Service location near you. My first thought would have been to go to one.

Samsung have a Duty of Care to look after you under their 24 Manufacturing Warranty.

I haven't but I suggest you check out their T&C's thoroughly.

Did you purchase it from Samsung or via a Contract with a Network?

Check out the Sales of Goods Act.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Thanks for the reply! Yeah will do, it was on contract from Mobiles.co.uk I am in the process of contacting them too but they are yet to reply. Thank you for the link that looks interesting!

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Don't get me wrong it is in my opinion better to go through the Manufacturer as they know their hardware and software better but it's still worth exploring what the business that provided will do.

Do perservere with contacting them Unfortunately as there an online business your pretty much stuck awaiting a reply.

Good luck with this and keep pushing Samsung as they have a Duty of Care.

Reactions: Calum Chamberlain
Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Don't get me wrong it is in my opinion better to go through the Manufacturer as they know their hardware and software better but it's still worth exploring what the business that provided will do.

Do perservere with contacting them Unfortunately as there an online business your pretty much stuck awaiting a reply.

Good luck with this and keep pushing Samsung as they have a Duty of Care.

Yeah definitely, I've only contacted them because Samsung are taking so long to get back to me, everytime I phone samsung they just say it's the engineer's final decision but as I've written in then it has gone to someone higher then the call center and all I can do is sit tight..

Upvote 0
You had pink smudges and lines on screen in different places depending on what was meant to be displayed on screen? Any green too?

This happened to my s7 edge too after 1 month of use. Took it back to Phone company I purchased from and got a warranty screen replacement. It's not water damage, it's defective hardware. I've found at least another 2 dozen people online who have had this issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones