• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Safe Mode" WTF???

trav473

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
OK, here's one I haven't seen yet. I've had my Eris sense November, loaded and uninstalled way too many apps, performed hard resets, loaded the 2.1 leak the night it was "found", and even done a couple hard resets sinse then. Had a new one pop up tonight, playing aroung I installed LockBot free. playing with it and Home, the phone got laggy. So, first thing I do is reboot. the phone restarts, but now it has a translucient box in the lower left corner and says "Safe Mode" and none of my Non-Android (ie Sense, Handcent, Pandore,...) widgets are showing up on the screen, let alone working, they just have little boxes that say "Problem Loading Gadget". Rebooted again, "Safe Mode" is gone, but widgets stil not working..... Any one ever get this?

I just observed the same thing on my Hero. The phone had made "power on" sounds (even though I did not knowingly power it off.) When it got done loading it had this "save mode" overlay on the lower left screen. Two widgets did not load--there was a text box in their stead.

I ended up powering to phone off and back on again. This time it came up "normal" excpet that the two widgets that had not loaded correctly were now not present on the screen at all. I added them back and all is fine now.

Still, just wondering what happened and what "safe mode" is.

Upvote 0
OK, here's one I haven't seen yet. I've had my Eris sense November, loaded and uninstalled way too many apps, performed hard resets, loaded the 2.1 leak the night it was "found", and even done a couple hard resets sinse then. Had a new one pop up tonight, playing aroung I installed LockBot free. playing with it and Home, the phone got laggy. So, first thing I do is reboot. the phone restarts, but now it has a translucient box in the lower left corner and says "Safe Mode" and none of my Non-Android (ie Sense, Handcent, Pandore,...) widgets are showing up on the screen, let alone working, they just have little boxes that say "Problem Loading Gadget". Rebooted again, "Safe Mode" is gone, but widgets stil not working..... Any one ever get this?

Exact same thing happened to me about a month ago, completely out of the blue. No new apps installed, nothing. It was completely random. A reboot fixed it and I haven't seen it since.

Upvote 0
I had it happen the first day I owned it after installing some task killer. It killed Sense too. I uninstalled it and haven't used a task killer since.

Generally, any third-party application which is supposed to provide any sort of underlying system control is more likely to cause more problems than it is intended to solve. Just my opinion, and there are a lot of people here knowing more about Android than me who will disagree. There are also a lot of people here who don't tinker with their phones, and it works for them.

I am a firm believer in the KISS methodology: Keep It Simply Stock. Just like anything in life, if you don't know how it works, it can dangerous. Chances are that a) the application did something you weren't expecting, or b) you poked something that you weren't familiar with and it caused a problem. Don't take that the wrong way; third party developers come out with applications which can do a lot of cool stuff but they seem to just assume that we think the same way they do (intuitively) and that we don't need instructions for anything.

I don't know what LokBot is, and it doesn't sound like anything I need, so I probably won't ever see it. Anyway, I got off topic there for a while. My suggestion: leave it alone. Safe Mode might be something the aplication did itself, or it migh Android's protection against something the application did (techies, correct me if I am wrong) but in either case, a "WTF" reaction is a good indicator to me that it isn't a normal thing to dismiss.

Upvote 0
Here's the solution:
First, how it happened: Droid X. Got caught in a downpour. The x didn't "get wet" but did accumulate a little moisture. Did all the research, power off, battery pull, etc.etc. Still in Safe Mode, no 3rd party apps.
Took it to the Verizon store where I got it, although probably any store will do. The guy there scratched his head, said "hmmm," asked me if I did a battery pull, did the battery pull himself, and Safe Mode disappered. All 3rd party apps and all other data sitting there as snug as a bug in a rug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones