• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safe System Update?

Cvanepern

Lurker
Jan 1, 2018
A few days ago my phone (LG G5, Sprint) notified that there is a system update that is available to download. Usually it just says something along the lines of "Android System Software Upgrade" or something to that matter, however this one just gives me a string of letters and numbers: LS992ZVD_00-LS992ZVE_05

I'm just a little leery (especially since the story broke of Apple intentionally issuing updates to slow older phones down) and want to be sure that it's a safe, legitimate update to download. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Screenshot_2018-01-01-15-05-41.png

Phone remains unlocked. Unfortunately, it wipes APN data and now I can't go in and edit APN. Anybody have any work arounds? I can't add an APN (no option) in the settings menu (settings - more - mobile networks - access point names) nor in the ##3282# menu with the MSL. It's been a huge pain and I'm currently trying to use this phone in Peru. It can make and receive calls/texts but will not access the internet without being able to add/edit APN's.

Upvote 0
Phone remains unlocked. Unfortunately, it wipes APN data and now I can't go in and edit APN. Anybody have any work arounds? I can't add an APN (no option) in the settings menu (settings - more - mobile networks - access point names) nor in the ##3282# menu with the MSL. It's been a huge pain and I'm currently trying to use this phone in Peru. It can make and receive calls/texts but will not access the internet without being able to add/edit APN's.

Is that the Sprint version G5 you've got there? I believe the Sprint MSL(Master Subsidy Lock) is particularly nasty and difficult, maybe impossible. AFAIK it won't get internet even on WiFi, not without a Sprint SIM and current Sprint data plan, because it's locked to their proxy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones